Monday, November 26, 2007

Pass the Pie

Here's what I'm not going to do today: get on the scale. Nothing profitable can come from knowing the truth.

Yesterday I was singing a little song. It went something like this:

"I'm so tubby, tubby, tubby, tubby. All I do is eat. Tubby, tubby, tubby".

It was sung to a light and trilly tune.

Thursday it was turkey and carbs.

Friday it was cocktail treats at Stina's 40th birthday party.

Saturday it was a "traditional" Seattle meal of salmon with hollandaise, chanterelles sauteed with garlic, butter and sherry, roasted golden beets diced and served on a pool of balsamic vinegar reduction, steamed broccolini and cheese tortellini in cream sauce with salmon roe.

Last night we had an amazing Tex-Mex dinner lovingly prepared by Buck: the world's most amazing flank steak fajitas, refried beans (from scratch), Spanish rice and a fresh salsa plus guacamole.

And every meal was capped off with Sortilege, that fabulous whiskey/maple syrup cordial we first enjoyed in Chicago.

Know what's on the menu for this week? Leftovers.

Our time with Buck has been just lovely. He got a little tour of Seattle on Saturday and met some of our friends. I feel a little bad about the fact that the tours haven't been more grand and that what we've mostly done is cook and eat but he doesn't seem to mind. He got to go to mass at the Cathedral yesterday; it was the feast of Christ the King, the last big blow out of ordinary time before Advent begins. It was grand, although the fact is, the liturgy at the Cathedral is always grand. It was nice to see his reaction, though. Reminds me of what a gift it is to go to a church that does liturgy so beautifully.

We have also played multiple games of speed Scrabble. Our minds were kept sharp and lean even as our bodies were being transformed into dumplings.

Things are slowly returning to normal. The Child is off at school, The Spouse at work and Buck and I will just be hanging around talking (and yeah, probably eating something) before I have to take him to the airport this afternoon. The Child has been sleeping on the couch for 4 days and this morning I asked her if it will be nice to have her bed back. She shook her head "no".

"You like sleeping on the couch?"

Again, the head bobs with a "no".

"You're going to miss Uncle Buck, aren't you?"

"Yes".

Awww. It's nice when friends become family.

I'll post some pictures as soon as the camera battery charges up.

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Stina does not look 40.

I tried to call, but all I got was static.

Did you watch the BSG movie this weekend? I didn't know it was on, but my DVR did.

Buck cooked dinner in your house? I don't even cook dinner in my house.

That's all for now.

November 26, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

i've been eating non stop since wednesday. i am SO off food for a while. UGH.

November 26, 2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm totally depressed. I don't have a DVR. Frak.

November 26, 2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Monica, I'll see your "ugh" and raise you a "blech".

November 26, 2007 10:01 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I see your UGH and your blech and raise you a

a

ok, what trumps that? a full belly?

Questions:

How do you play speed scrabble?
What's BSG?
Why don't you get TiVo?

November 26, 2007 10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'll raise all y'all with a big ol whiney cry - I left my leftovers on my friends kitchen counter 80 miles away! WHAAAAAAAH! (fists of rage)

November 26, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I ate green bean casserole for breakfast. So I'll raise ya'll a double-barf with a side of indigestion. So there.

November 26, 2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

That song sounds like something Pooh would sing.

and me too

November 26, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: Yum. Green bean "burp" casserole...

Anne: It's a very Pooh sort of song.

November 26, 2007 1:55 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I gained 2/10th of a pound and I can live with that.

November 26, 2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

How do you play speed scrabble? It takes hours when my beloved and I play.

November 26, 2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger thmswht opined...

:-(

i missed BSG too...

November 26, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Twisi: This is me, hating you.

Mom: I'm writing a post about the game for the uninitiated. With pictures and everything.

Thmswht: Dang! There better be reruns. So say we all.

November 26, 2007 5:01 PM  
Blogger Dtodd opined...

What is BSG?

November 26, 2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger thmswht opined...

So say we all!

November 26, 2007 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I want to learn how to play Speed Scrabble, too! Perhaps "Uncle Buck" can teach me. *smiles*

Thanks for giving him back to us here in the Midwest! *grin*

Love,

MHP :)

November 26, 2007 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dant (and Anne): BSG - Battlestar Galactica. The greatest show on television. (When it's on television. Which it isn't right now).

November 26, 2007 7:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP: He is rarin' to teach you! And we've already developed the necessary rules to keep Iwanski from kicking butt every time he plays.

You are welcome to have him back but you'll have to share him again soon!

(And when are you coming to the great NW, hmmm?)

November 26, 2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

The weekend was ALL about eating. Mah bellah is ginormous.

And with THAT lovely image to send you all to sleep ... Zzzzzzzzzz.

November 26, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Wonderful!!!!!!
um...eating is a good thing.

November 26, 2007 7:29 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Sounds like a lovely time was had.

That's nice.

November 26, 2007 9:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, I'll see that bellah and raise you one mottled thigh.

Mouse, the eating was very good. The slowing of the digestion, not so much.

Iwanski, indeed.

November 26, 2007 9:38 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I got two mottled thighs and a a dimpled butt

November 27, 2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I dreamed of playing Speed Scrabble last night. See what you did?

I've decided that Speed Scrabble is actually a combination of Boggle and Scrabble -- at least it is the way I score it where I get double points for "box" and "ox". SO, the name of the game should be "Scrobble."

I miss you guys already. It was incredible.

November 27, 2007 7:30 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Or, maybe, "Scroggle"

November 27, 2007 7:32 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

And you speak of this glorious food fest if though it were a problem???? Sounds like you satisified at least seven or eight of the basic needs of happiness - money and sex were missing but then that's really none of our business is it?

November 27, 2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Here, Anne. Sounds like you need some of this celery, too.

Buck, you are clearly obsessed. I accept full responsibility. Come back soon.

Willym, you're right. It was glorious.

November 28, 2007 6:26 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Oh, that's a traditional Seattle meal? Crap. I guess I messed that up. I thought it involved ketchup.

November 28, 2007 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home