Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Surprise! Wednesday Jukebox

Mouse emailed me yesterday suggesting that since we have a big feathered holiday coming up and most people will be off on Friday as well (a moment of silence for all those who work retail), perhaps we should move Jukebox Friday to Wednesday.

This tickled me because it's not actually like we have a charter or a Quorum of Nine or by laws or anything. Crikey. I played a video yesterday (breaking news story); probably gonna play one tomorrow, too (something to wow the Pilgrims). Guess it just speaks to the power of the meme. Or maybe mob mentality. Peer pressure? Or perhaps my willingness to jump on board speaks to the paucity of blog material I have at hand just at the moment. Anyway...

Here's a little number that always surprises me when I hear it. It takes a lot of courage to cover a song that a) was such a big hit and 2) an iconic one, at that. It seems to me that if you are going to do something like that, you'd better do everything you can to give it a twist and make it your own, preferably without completely obscuring the fabric that held the original together. Or, you know, completely make it into something virtually unrecognizable. But if you do that, it's not really a cover, imho.

This song completely succeeds for me. It's perkily familiar and yet the rendering of the song, both by virtue of the ska take and the outstanding vocals, make you (OK, me) hear it in a new way. Far too young and clever, indeed.

Anyway, here's a little twist-while-honoring-the-original cover tune for ya to peel yams by. (Or in my case: peel yams, make cranberry compote, supervise but not meddle while The Child makes pies. And that bathroom isn't going to clean itself).



Save Ferris "Come On, Eileen"

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Snaps for the use of "paucity". I'm on pie duty myself today, since my mom is hosting T-day at her house. I'm also sneaking in some cranberry apple relish, since my family likes the canned stuff. Happy Thanksgiving and please say howdy to Buck for me.

November 21, 2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Have a great bird day, I am hosting this year.... maybe you could stop by this afternoon and help me prepare?

Besides my bathroom needs cleaning as well.

November 21, 2007 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I never heard that version of the song before. Kind of like it, although I kind of miss the violins. And maybe some more guitar would be nice.

And they should be wearing overalls.

November 21, 2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

"Paucity" is a swell word, isn't it, KA? May your crusts be flakey and your filling sweet as you are. Will give your regards to the Buckmeister.

You too, Twisi. I can stop by around 1 to stir the gravy but I am NOT cleaning your bathroom, too. Sheesh.

November 21, 2007 8:35 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, there is a little homage to the overalls, about a minute into the video. That makes me laugh. I like that they achieved with horns what Dexy's Midnight Runners did with the violins.

November 21, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

you could totally get that bathroom done in a blink with that song jammin' - way cool version

happy turkey day to all of you!

November 21, 2007 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm just happy to finally understand the words to this song. Excellent!

gobble gobble

November 21, 2007 10:25 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

LOL great song,
Thanks for the plug
my daughter was singing "taken' care of business" while cleaning the kitchen.
Bathroom is next

WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

November 21, 2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anne, too true. I expect to be playing it repeatedly this afternoon!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Hat, ditto. It's like getting a secret decoder ring.

Glad you like it, Mouse. WE LOVE YOU GUYS, TOO! Happy Thanksgiving!

November 21, 2007 12:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And for the record, I didn't wish Hat a happy Thanksgiving because I already did that on the phone.

Carry on.

November 21, 2007 12:51 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

The moment of silence for those who work in retail --- too good. I'm most thankful that I will not be on the wrong side of the counter on Friday. Or any side of the counter.

November 22, 2007 7:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I hear that, CB. Buck wants to visit The Market and I told him we'd totally go. But NOT on Friday. Yikes.

November 23, 2007 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home