Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stream of Consciousness

Thank heaven for Yahoo News, huh?

Today's big story is that Neil Diamond has revealed who was the inspiration for his mega-hit "Sweet Caroline". Survey says: Caroline Kennedy.

It's a rather charming story, about how he saw a picture of her when she was a little girl, all dressed up to ride her pony, and how sweet and innocent she looked etc etc. etc. He recently had the opportunity to sing the song for her (and to reveal the story) at her 50th birthday party. I thought it was all rather lovely.

Plus, I loved the song when it first came out. A lot. Because I was a pop tartlet. And I thought Neil Diamond was dreamy. (Shut up). So of course I went to YouTube to find the song.



Neil Diamond "Sweet Caroline"

We're going to chalk this up as a story about how inspiration comes from vast and various places and how the kernel of an idea sprouts work that may actually be miles away from the original source. Because otherwise, this would actually be really super creepy.

Know what else I learned on Yahoo news today? Archaeologists think they have found the cave where the ancient Romans believe the she-wolf suckled Romulus and Remus. That's kinda cool.

Reminds me of a dog we had when I was growing up. Her name was Harvey. Because we thought she was a boy. Until she had puppies. But by then we were too used to calling her Harvey so we just kept it up.

Around that time our pigs, Ron and Judy (who were named for Dame Judi and Sean's best friends) had a litter, too. There was a runt. As is the way of large pig litters, the runt was destined to be shunned and die of starvation. Which we kids couldn't handle. So in a move straight out of Charlotte's Web, the runt came into the house to sleep in a warm box behind the stove and drink milk from a bottle. We were highly imaginative children, with a gift for the whimsical so we named the runt "Piglet". (Shut up again).

Piglet was a good pig. A smart pig, as pigs are wont to be. And Piglet knew a good thing when he saw it. He could struggle in the arms of a child holding him too tightly while trying to get nourishment from a rubber teat or he could nuzzle up to a nice warm mommy thing and nurse like a proper puppy. So he did. And Harvey let him. Piglet became one of her pups. He acted like them, too. He'd gambol with the other pups, until we gave them all away. And after that, he'd hang with Harvey. (Yeah, now I'm seeing the "Babe" connections, too. My childhood was a freaking story book). Piglet even became house trained, going to the door and grunting when he wanted to attend to his business. He was a good pig-dog.

This story ends badly.

Piglet was a normal pig pig, not a miniature. He kept growing. Except his hooves weren't cloven. (Which, had he also managed to chew cud, would have made him a kosher pig). The design flaw made it difficult for him to walk and so he curled his front hooves under him and walked on his knuckles, which became a problem when he gained weight. So eventually, much to our dismay, the merciful thing was done.

Speaking of knuckles, my finger seems to be getting better. See?




Can you even tell which one is afflicted?

It's the middle one. (Ironic, dont'cha think?) I really do think it's pinking up again nicely. Yay.

The Hat called me this morning for our ritual chat. I told her I didn't have anything to blog about. Guess I just proved my point.

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm going to go Google, "Neil Diamond pig dog tiara" and see if it makes it's way back to this post.

November 20, 2007 11:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh man, it so doesn't. Now I'm depressed.

November 20, 2007 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I don't think the song was really about her. I think he made that story up after he was invited to sing to her.

Sorry about your pig.

November 20, 2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Are you calling Neil Diamond a liar, JP? Them's fightin' words.

Thanks. Sometimes I still miss him.

Not really. But it was sure sad at the time.

November 20, 2007 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I am now going to Google "Neil Diamond is a lying liar who lies pig dog tiara".

November 20, 2007 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

When ever you hurt one of your fingers, have you ever wanted to wrap a little cloth bandage around the top of it or maybe make a teeny tiny little water bottle and tie it to the top...maybe paint a little face underneath the bandage/bottle...with a thermometer sticking out of the little mouth?

No? Hmmm...maybe its just me...

:o))

November 20, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I sat in the loo reading your post, because I can, (shut up) laughing my head off. I love my iPhone. Anyway try the google search without tiara. I don't recall that word in the post.

Typed with my iphone. Shut up.

November 20, 2007 2:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MNF: Well, I'm sure gonna do it now!

Anne: I love your iPhone, too. And I'm going to go google right now. On my laptop. Not my iPhone. Shut up.

November 20, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I actually saw Neil someplace....he is OK in person singing but he has always had bad hair. Sweet little piggie story.....actually all of your fingers look a bit mottled. I just told Steve to shut up and he looked puzzled....I told him I couldn't think of a reason to type it to you.

November 20, 2007 3:24 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I love my Yahoo news thingy.
They get all the really cool stuff.Did you see the one about humans having viral DNA?..'Splains a lot.
Neil Diamond has always been a favorite of mine!
I know you don't wanna hear about how he used to vacation in Lake Arrowhead,..so I'll shut up now.

November 20, 2007 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well, you can take the tiara out of the post but you can't take the post out of the tiara. Or something like that. Shut up Steve.

November 20, 2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger thmswht opined...

i heart neil diamond. *sigh*

November 20, 2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

I am glad your finger is better!

November 20, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Rosie, the hair of the Diamond is exceedingly bad. And actually, all my fingers were a little mottled because I was chilly but the point is that the injured one doesn't look so bad anymore.

Shut up.

Sling, yes, shut up with your jet setting hob nobbing self. And what? Skip out of work early today?

Hat, I think it's funny that you assume the tiara even when it's not present.

November 20, 2007 4:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thmswht: I know, I know. *sigh*

Thanks, Mouse. Me too. So not time for a doctor visit in the midst of all this turkey thawing/room readying stuff.

November 20, 2007 4:27 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Ya know, when I am feeling shitty...I can visit you or hat or sling or any number of bloggers and instantly feel better. You made me laugh out loud and spit. STEVE, STFU.....he is yelling at me about burning burgers...sheesh....get up off your ass and check them, i am busy.

November 20, 2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

The K's provided us with a thanksgiving luncheon today(Savory meatballs and rice,garlic bread,salad,and home made cranberry/oatmeal cookies!),and cut us loose 30 minutes early,with pay.
Have I mentioned about a million times how much I love working for them?..
..and Neil Diamond and his back up musicians were regular visitors at the Hilton..shut up. :P

November 20, 2007 5:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad, Rosie. Not to mention, your comment right there is pure comic gold.

Oh, those Ks, Sling. They are the nicest people ever. Seriously. Talk about things to mention over the Thanksgiving bird, huh?

November 20, 2007 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

poor Papa Steve. He's done nothing to deserve this.

November 20, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes he did, he yelled at Rosie to get the burgers when she was busy laughing and spitting. He can check them himself, dammit.

November 20, 2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

I have found that all good stories involve a pig. Or at least some sort of pig-based product.

November 20, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mmmmmm....bacon.....

November 20, 2007 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Somewhere I have vinyl copies of Hot August Nights and the soundtrack to Jonathan Livingston Seagull...

November 20, 2007 9:56 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Hey I got the damned ham from Parma so let's just "shut up" about the Pork thing....

The digits are looking good.

And Steve really shouldn't be yelling at Rosemary when she's engaged in intellectual conversation.

Stai zitto! - sorry I couldn't resist - but of course when you say it the upper lip has to be curled and the hands make certain gestures.....

November 20, 2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Syd, oh! Jonathon Livingston Seagull! Holy crap, there's something I haven't thought about in 412 years!

Willym: Shut up with your "I'm living in Roma and you're not" thing. Damn your eyes.

And yes, exactly about Steve.

Please to be telling me what the zitto thing means...it sounds like fun.

November 20, 2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Sorry only means: Shut Up! But I'm learning all the bad stuff too but this being a family blog.

November 21, 2007 1:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I love stream of concience posts.

I know you said not to say anything, but I simply must.

Neil Diamond was dreamy! I thought so, too!

November 21, 2007 5:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

W: Of course! Silly me. (Note to self: read comments on self's blog within context of what self wrote in post). Oh, and for future reference, please know that swearing in foreign languages, that is to say, languages foreign to moi is always allowed. You can always email me the meaning. Tee.

November 21, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MG: No, honey, I only told said "shut up" to people who were going to mock for my crush on Neil (and I know who they are). People like you can say all they wish. Dreamy dreamy dreamy. Shame about the hair, though.

November 21, 2007 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home