Friday, November 16, 2007

Yum Yum Bubblegum


Those of you with finely honed pop-culture skillz will know that this group were the inspiration for "The Partridge Family". Did you also know that the original concept was for these folks to play themselves? True. But the deal was scuttled because the kids didn't like the idea of someone else playing their mom, not even Shirley Jones. For that, David Cassidy, Danny Bonaduce and Susan Dey can all be grateful. As well as the other kids whose names I don't remember.

I was poking around the interwebs to see how their contribution to pop music has been remembered, what they're up to now, like that. There is a movement to have them inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Start reading the petition and you'll be surprised and impressed by the scope of their contributions to rock music. Or poke around YouTube and listen to some of their other stuff. My point would be that they were legitimately talented and I would posit that the whole Partridge Family connection somehow created the impression that they never were anything but cardboard cutouts who only sounded good because of studio technicians. But listen: you can't fake sweet harmonies like that. Add in the actual playing of their own instruments and writing of much of their own music plus the fact that most of them are still in the music business one way and another....I'm just pointing out that all represents some serious talent and commitment.

Look at me, getting all defensive. I really loved this group. I was a little jealous of them. My sibs and I sang together, too. How come we didn't have a hit record? Huh? Maybe, among other things, because there is talent and then there is talent.

'Course, they were also not exempt from the curse of children performers. There was bitterness, acrimony and estrangement. Some of them got messed up on substances. Some of them are dead, too. Bill died of emphysema (so did their mom) and Barry frakking died in Hurricane Katrina. All that information made my heart hurt. Why do I persist in the delusion that the pop stars of my childhood are all still young, fresh faced and happy? I dunno and frankly, it's too early for me to contemplate.

A few things about this song. I totally thought the title was the coolest thing ever and honestly believe it influenced my writing style. Also, I loved this song bunches and bunches and even though it had heavy airplay when it first came out, I never grew weary of it. In fact, I seem to remember perfunctorily having on the radio with the single hope that at any moment this song would come on and I could be happy (happy happy). And even with the dated flower power reference, it has a timeless quality. The Child heard me playing this yesterday and came to listen, a big smile on her face. So there you go.




The Cowsills "The Rain, The Park and Other Things"

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Yups I never would have guessed.
In our box of old Tracy 45s you can find a copy of the cowsils singing Hair.

November 16, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Long beautiful hair. That was a classic!

November 16, 2007 8:46 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Love the song - heck anything from that time, pretty much makes me happy (happy, happy, flowers everywhere...). And just so you know, I am still a member of the Shaun Cassidy fan club. Wish I could find my official locket though. Better go scour eBay....

November 16, 2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And if you find it, KA, you need to put a picture of it on your blog.

November 16, 2007 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I can't believe you played this. I seriously am in the middle of a new video collage of hippie chicks and this is the theme song to it. Such great taste!

November 16, 2007 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Because of that show, I learned that if you ever get sprayed by a skunk you should take a bath in tomato juice.

I also learned that younger family members can be replaced at anytime without explanation.

November 16, 2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No way, Hat. I swear, when I'm not sharing a brain with JP...

What I learned from Partridge family, JP, was that you don't actually have to hit a tambourine in time to the music.

November 16, 2007 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Later in life, Danny Bonaducce taught me that no amount of steroids can make certain people look attractive.

November 16, 2007 12:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I also learned that if your name is David Cassidy you can still be super hot when you're an old dude.

November 16, 2007 1:01 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

oh the family that started it all... i cant believe they are dying right and left

November 16, 2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know! It really despressing, especially since it's not like they're all that old. I mean, Billy was, like, 53. That is NOT old.

November 16, 2007 1:55 PM  
Blogger Nunnie's Attic opined...

I LOVE THAT SONG!! How sad to think that they don't look like that anymore. I like to picture people in their prime. Imagine if Marilyn Monroe wouldn't have died so young. She could have been an old gray hair wrinkly woman in her 80s. Who wants to see that?

Love,
Julie

November 16, 2007 3:17 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

It has a very Mamas-and-Papas quality to it, no?

November 16, 2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Julie, I see your point, although I like to think that she would have been one of those great beauties...like Katherine Hepburn or something.

Red, totally. In fact, they have a version of "Monday, Monday" that you can find on YouTube...just as good as the M&Ps if you ask me. You did ask me, right?

November 16, 2007 5:39 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

True story..John Cowsill was a friend of mine back in the 80's.He played with a band(whose name I can't remember)that was in the rotation at the Arrowhead Hilton where I tended bar...Substance abuse was involved.
..and Susan Dey was the best part of the "Pepperidge Farmly"..heh,heh...I love calling 'em that.

November 16, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dang it, Sling, you and your connections. That's pretty cool. That you knew him, not about the substances. I hope he's cleaned up since then...

And now you have me thinking of Milano cookies....

November 17, 2007 8:48 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'll have to show you my Shirley Partridge imitation when I'm there. In JUST THREE DAYS.

November 19, 2007 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home