Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sunday Morning in Chicago

Oh man.

I have met John Iwanski.

It's all gravy from here on out.

Yesterday Jon and I took the El to the north end of town to do some grocery shopping. We passed Wrigley Field and I held my hand over my heart. I love old ballparks. Got to the store and invented our menu in the produce department. Then it was off to Jack and Steve's...old friends of Jon's...who have a bigger kitchen and a dining table that seats 10 (we had 11). We spent the afternoon cooking, talking, drinking wine and occasionally just plain giggling because after emailing back and forth about food and sharing recipes for over a year there we were, cooking together.

The menu:

Tapenade with crackers and a nice rich bleu cheese for apertif. A mixed green salad with shallot vinaigrette and a goat cheese crouton. Big fat pork loin chops that had marinated all afternoon in garlic, red chilies and olive oil. (The Spouse grilled them up for us). These were accompanied by a cherry and jalapeno salsa. Steamed asparagus with a compound lemon butter and lemon zest plus summer squash and pine nut gratin rounded out the main course. For dessert I made strawberry-nectarine kabobs drizzled with caramel and served with creme fraiche that had been mixed with sugar and limoncello. It was all just fine. But you didn't come here to talk about the food, did you?

Did I mention I met John Iwanski?

I admit. I got a little nervous as the afternoon progressed. But all of a sudden, there they were, John and Miss Healthypants, MHP's niece Stacy (who is getting married next weekend and drove down from Wisconsin to meet me...yeah, I was honored) and Stacy's future SIL, Nayla (beautiful young woman from Lebanon) plus a chappie named Harry who's a good buddy of Jack & Steve & Jon's. He reminded us of The Cardinal so we've named him the Chicago Cardinal. 'Cause we're like that.

It was a terrific party. Lots of good wine, good food, a surprise cordial that Steve brought out at dessert (whiskey flavored with maple syrup. Seriously. Delicious). I was seated across from Jon and there were times I'd catch his eye and just give him a "can you frakking believe this" look and he knew exactly what I meant.

It's probably not fair to do this but I must. John Iwanski is a great guy. He's famously shy and described by his wife as a hermit. But a hermit with social skills. He's as funny as you'd expect, smart as you'd expect. He's also a genuinely nice guy. Really, truly nice. Sometimes I'd look down to the end of the table to verify that he was really there. Oh, I know. Gushing. But let's say you were at a dinner and, oh, I don't know, found yourself seated with Cyndi Lauper. Wouldn't you be pinching yourself? And wouldn't you subsequently become somewhat charmingly insufferable about the fact that you had dinner with her? Of course you would. Well, that's me about Iwanski.

MHP is absolutely adorable and funny. Stacy was a frakking hoot. Nayla was lovely, and she really gets snaps for being thrown into that situation and comporting herself with such grace. It was one of those parties where there were 3 or 4 conversations going at once and you didn't know which one to join. But I suppose the best part was just that it didn't matter that we'd never met before. That bit of it was dispatched in about 30 seconds. And let's face it, it's just terribly nice when reality exceeds your expectations.

After bidding our hosts a very goodnight, we all walked to the train together and rode back downtown to "our" place. Wine, laughter, talking, some singing. (MHP has a really nice voice, btw). Wandered down to Iwanski Manor for a bit more of the same and then Jon walked us back home and hung for a while. He and The Spouse have bonded over Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

The Child is currently singing karaoke (Uncle Iwanski loaned her his Playstation). The Spouse is perusing the packet of tourist info Iwanski graciously collected for us. And I'm starting to think that we should wander out and find ourselves a brunch somewhere.

And yes. I have pictures. But I haven't figured out how to download them yet. Just know that when they appear, that will really be me with John Iwanski. No photoshopping involved.

The Spouse and I were taking our coffee on the balcony this a.m., reviewing the fun of last night and both basically feel that we could sit on that balcony and admire the view for the rest of the week and this would have already been the best vacation ever. The fact that there is more to come....must stop now and catch my breath. We're really glad we came to Chicago.

Go Cubs.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh there you go again, Lorraine--making my husband blush!! *smiles* Seriously, when John reads this, he will undoubtedly feel honored...and why wouldn't he be? Such celebrity treatment!! *grin* But hey, I definitely agree with your thoughts on him--after all, I married him! :)

Really, Lorraine, thank you SO much for your kind words--and did I mention THANK YOU for the awesome meal last night? You and Jonathan did a fabulous job!!

Oh, and also, you and The Spouse and The Child are wonderful people, and I'm so glad you came to Chicago! I'm looking forward to hanging out some more! (Tell The Child I'll bring some string next time so that we can do Cat's Cradle. *smiles*)

Love,

Auntie MHP :)

July 01, 2007 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oops, that should be "Auntie HP"! :)

July 01, 2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sorry, MHP, I'd comment but I'm busy building a shrine to you guys.

July 01, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

I sooooo knew that Iwanski would be exactly like Cyndi Lauper.

July 01, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Ooh, nothing like living vicariously to keep a girl entertained! Especially the maple whiskey. So exciting!

July 01, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Lex, I'm plotzing here! How the hell are you?

Cowbell, seriously, the syrup whiskey thing? As if curling weren't enough of a contribution to civilization.

July 01, 2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Don't blame your plotzing on me. It's all that Chicago food you're putting away.

July 01, 2007 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I always had a hunch about those Iwanski's. Hunch confirmed.

See? You didn't need me at all. (Subtle attempt to divert future guilt-trips.)

July 01, 2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Lex, word!

JP: Oh, honey, your guilt trip has already been booked. The tickets are stuck in the mirror over the dresser. And you have been deeply missed, by all of us. We're going to make a little JP doll and carry it everywhere with us the rest of the time.

July 01, 2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I am back home and tired, but I had to pull myself up to the computer to say thank you so much.

Your kind words and really mean a lot to me.

The feelings are doubly mutual.

If I was only one-tenth as nice as you make me sound, I'd be pretty happy with myself. Thank you for your warmth and hospitality. Honestly, I'm not used to people complimenting me as much as I was last night. I'm sure I turned beet red, but perhaps I could learn to get used to it.

Lorraine, you and your family are thoroughly wonderful people, and I'm glad we all have this chance to visit and party.

Perhaps no finer bunch of people ever dined than the group I had the privelege of enjoying last night.

More to come, yes?

July 01, 2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski, you look good in beet red. Own it.

As for the "more to come" bit? Oh yeah.

July 01, 2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

So jealous. Beyond words jealous. Maybe envious is a better word. Either way. JP, I'm with you.....I feel a guilt trip coming on. ;)

July 10, 2007 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home