Thursday, November 15, 2007

Designers, Gather 'Round....

If you've already been by Hat's this morning you know that she and I love "Project Runway" and are, with the possible addition of Monica and Anne, going to play a little game wherein every Wednesday night we dress up to watch the show, taking care to document the ensemble photographically and posting said pictures with our reviews the next day. I'm giving it 2 weeks.

Now you've been warned that this post is all about the agony and ecstasy that is "Project Runway" so if you're looking for sturdier fare best to be moving along now.

I also have to make sure to not read Hat's posts until I'd written my own because a) it makes it harder to be original because I have to try and avoid repeating what she said and 2) it will be way more fun if we do say the same things without knowing it and then we can laffity laff about it over coffee later.

Hat did refer to the "hot Israeli guy", name of Rami, who won the first competition. I second her hotness nomination but would caution her that his last name, Kashou, is pronounced "cashew" and if she marries him it will be really awkward.

Hat and Tim Gunn Theatre

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Hat Kashou."

"Bless you, Hat. I'm Tim Gunn, your long lost uncle. But I didn't catch the last name."

"Kashou."

"Bless you. Seriously, you're last name..."

"I said, it's 'Kashou.'"

"Goodness! Bless you again, darling; here's the perfectly pressed, monogrammed handkerchief I always carry for such a circumstance. Now, about your name..."





Here's my picture. I was wearing a terrific little ensemble: grey windowpane plaid tulip skirt, cashmere turtleneck, knee high black boots. All you get is this, though.

There's only one crappy picture because someone who shall go nameless (but lives next door and whose nickname rhymes with "babe") totally forgot that last night was the premiere and went out to dinner. Are. You. Kidding. Me? Anyway, I had hoped for her help with the "fashion shoot" but what the hey hey. If Hat has to take her own pictures then so do I. I'll do better next week.














First of all, the main reason to watch this show, imho, is Tim Gunn. Why do I love him so on PR and never make time anymore to watch the actual show he has on Bravo where he's on screen way more? Because his own show on Bravo stinks. He doesn't stink, mind you. In fact, I'm fairly certain he smells faintly of bay rhum. But it is a show that simply hasn't held my interest. His sidekick is thoroughly annoying and their relationship bears none of the wit, banter or obvious affection that is shared between Stacy and Clinton on "What Not to Wear"...with which "Guide to Style" is intended to compete. 'Cept it doesn't. Stacy and Clinton have No. Thing. to worry about. Where was I?

Tim Gunn. I adore him. I try really hard to impersonate him. It's harder than you think. I want to politely but warmly shake his hand and invite him to join me for a snifter of brandy in the library. (He's not the kind of guy you'd squench up in a sloppy hug and take for beer). He is simply the best thing about the show...a position borne out by the stupid text message contest thing that Bravo always does during their reality shows. (I hate that, btw).

Who I hate on PR? Michael Kors. He's really bitchy and worse than that, he thinks he's funny. He's so not.

Heidi Klum was looking superfantastic as always. I was a little annoyed that her first meeting with the designers was shot almost entirely with the camera behind her, up and at an angle. "All the better to see all the designers, my dear," says you.

"All the better to show us that her butt, tightly swathed in black, is fierce and this after having had her 3rd or 4th Seal pup", says me. But really. That simply was not kind. To any viewer with body image issues, I mean. It was obviously superfantastic for Heidi.




First challenge: using obscenely gorgeous fabrics, design something that will tell us who you are as a designer.

This is only the first week so of course this is going to change but I'd have to say that my favorite designers thus far are Carmen (funny, tough, used to be a model herself), Kit (little bit of punk sensibility, without the apparent ego of Jeffrey and if you watch PR you know what I mean), Jillian, because I liked her dress and also because she totally reminds me of that actress who's name I can never remember but who I really like and always have to look up on IMDb before I remember. See?





Jillian, the designer







Sofia Milos, the actress

Twins separated at birth, people.

I also like Kevin, who's a dreamboat.




Most people watch PR for the crazy fashion. Me, I always end up judging clothes by what I myself would wear. I also always root for the nicest people. Which is why I've only ever once been pleased with the winner (Chloe...season 2). That's also why my favorite dresses were this one, by Christian:



















And this number by Steven:



















I don't like Christian much, though. He's a pissy little dude and ever so impressed with himself. Look to him for some major bitchiness this season. Steven is his polar opposite, quiet and unassuming. He will be flying under the radar with consistently beautiful things. I suspect he won't actually win a challenge until later in the season. But he's super talented. I also like him because he's from Chicago.

Other notable designers, for one reason or another:

Sweet P, who is the most likely to either become one of my absolute favorite personalities or make me drive my Harley off a cliff.

Victorya, most likely to stick a stiletto in someone's back.

Ricky, most likely to break down and blubber during a judging.

Rami, the future Mr. Hat (bless you), with this little number:



















As you can see, it is a perfectly lovely dress, crafted in grey silk gorgette. My biggest issue with it, frankly, was that his model is, shall we say, endowed. Endowed girls shouldn't go braless. (No, Sling, they really shouldn't). There was an undulation factor on the runway that was unfortunate. The girls shouldn't compete with the fashion, know what I'm saying? But still, he won and that's fine because he's clearly talented.



So let's talk about the losers. The first to go was a sweet, classy little thing named Simone Le Blanc (seriously), who made a not thoroughly horrible dress but the construction was abysmal. And I say that as someone who can't sew a lick. But it was really dreadful and the worst thing was that when asked to explain she said she got into a "time issue". Really? Honey, there were 15 other designers under the exact same time constraints as your sweet self and they all managed to finish their seams. Not to mention that most of them did much more ambitious things than you did (here's all the dresses...Simone's is the second one on the bottom row).

Not horrible, but still. Delivering the technical goods within time constraints is exactly the point of the competition. If she couldn't do it in week one, when she wasn't constrained by the limits of the challenge (make a day dress out of lettuce) then she was bound for a fall sooner rather than later. But she's cute as a button and I'll bet if she has other people sewing for her she'll make a fine designer without winning on PR. So bon chance, Simone.

Then there was Elisa. Elisa, who came second closest to being "auf'ed". Oh. My. Yord. What a freak. And I'm pretty sure the only reason she survived the cut (with a dress that, as Heidi said, "looked like it was pooing fabric") is because the producers are looking for her to provide a lot more interesting footage than sweet, sensible Simone. You can be a crappy designer and stay around a while, if you're nutty enough. And trust, Elisa is. She's a whack-O. A hippy dippy who "dyed" some of the expensive fabric by crushing it into the grass of Bryant Park. A nutjob who described her dress as having " a haiku of a cut". The sort of gal whose patchouli stench comes through the TV screen. The government should stop waterboarding prisoners and just leave them alone in a room with Elisa for 5 minutes. That'd win the war on terror.

All in all, a perfectly fine premiere episode of Season 4. Looking forward to next Wednesday. (Got that, Neighb? Wednesday. 10pm. Sheesh).

Labels: , ,

41 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Mea culpa
Mea culpa
Mea maxima culpa

November 15, 2007 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I wish reality television would go on strike.

November 15, 2007 10:19 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You are forgiven, Neighb. Unless it happens again and then I'll have to muss your hair.

Bite me, JP. Your homosexual membership card is under consideration for revocation. Again.

November 15, 2007 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

MY GOD! Your eyes are captivating. I love the way your hair swooshes around your eyes. And I love what the grey cashmere does to your eyes. Eyes eyes eyes eyes eyes.
Oh and excellent re-cap.














Eyes.

November 15, 2007 10:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, you read it? I thought sure my mesmerizing eyes would have distracted you from the substance of my post.

November 15, 2007 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

(passes out)

November 15, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

(puts smelling salts under Hat's nose)

November 15, 2007 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

To JP: I'm gayer than youooo I'm gayer than youoooo.

November 15, 2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Shame on The Nayb. Because she was missing, it looks like you're wearing grey sweats.
Sorry.

And yes, your eyes are gorgeous.

November 15, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grey cashmere sweats, Buck. Sheesh.

November 15, 2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I still think Jeffrey cheated during the finals. His sewing was just too good.

November 15, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

TOTALLY agree, KA. I didn't think I could ever hate a contestant as much as I hated Santino and then Jeffery came along. He was the devil.

November 15, 2007 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh I loved Santino's clothes. They were very pretty. My favorite contestent ever were was and remains Jay.

November 15, 2007 1:37 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Poor Nayb, she's gotten her priorities all confused. I will pray for her.

I'm not a big reality TV fan, but I do like Dancing with the Stars. I'm totally unhip that way. But I love to see what you and Hat write about the Tim Gunn. He's swell.

November 15, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

And I second KA...Jeffrey TOTALLY cheated.

November 15, 2007 2:16 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I come out of the closet.. I worship Tim Gunn. I want him to come to the house for cocktails, go through my closets with me and bitch and gossip till 2AM.. Oh, yeah, addicted to the show as well..

Does everyone get to play?

November 15, 2007 2:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

My darling Hat, we simply must discuss your taste in men. Jay???? Gawd, I hated him.

SCG: Yes, she certainly does. Although one might question your priorities, what with the whole "not watching until it's a marathon" thing. And don't play the baby card...he wasn't here for Seasons 1-3.

I still get mad when I think about stupid cheater Jeffrey.

Doralong, well, of course you can play, sweetie! Jump right in. Besides Monica refuses to dress up. She said she would be snippy and judge our outfits, though. I'm so calling her Nina now.

November 15, 2007 2:31 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

No handbags? No flannel? No potato designs on silk? I can't watch it.

November 15, 2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You want handbags, Rosie? Just go to the Bluefly accessories wall. You will plotz. You should watch, just for that.

November 15, 2007 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

pft, I didn't like Jay as a man. I liked Jay as a queen. I thought he was hilarious. And don't you question me dammit! heh heh

November 15, 2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, honey, there are waaaaay better queens than Miss Jay. He really bugged the stuffing outta me. But hey, agree to disagree. Because you are mesmerized by my EYES!

November 15, 2007 7:35 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Is this show on at the same time as "Jeopardy"?..
..and the answer is!..
"A perfect pair of these should fit nicely into a Champagne glass"..

November 15, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

It's late, I'm tired. Tried to watch PR last night, which, I'd like to remind y'all is very difficult because it's on so late for us east coast folk (is that oxymoronic?), but didn't get to see the whole thing because The Boy turned the channel to PBS Kids and I had to sit through an episode of Sagwa or Bearinstein Bears until he left the room and I could flip the channel back even though it was being TiVo'd in the other room I was working on my badge sewing and didn't want to move my butt.

So Now I've seen the premier and I'm going to have to read your post again, but more slowly this time so I can make a proper comment and not one with a lot of run-on sentences, and I am very tired now which I already said.

Mmmmmm. Bay Rum. I think you're right about that. Sheesh, it's almost eleven, off to bed! Maybe I'll do the picture thing next week. Do we have to design our own outfit for viewing? I missed that part.

November 15, 2007 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sling just made me spit champagne on my keyboard.

November 15, 2007 8:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No, Sling. Not competing time slots. Want me to call you next week just before PR comes on so you can play? No? Really?

Anne, honey, go to bed. Next week.

JP: dip a cotton swab into a combination of hydrogen peroxide and water and gently dab over the champagne blotches.

November 15, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

It's late, I'm tired. Tried to watch PR last night, which, I'd like to remind y'all is very difficult because it's on so late for us east coast folk (is that oxymoronic?), but didn't get to see the whole thing because The Boy turned the channel to PBS Kids and I had to sit through an episode of Sagwa or Bearinstein Bears until he left the room and I could flip the channel back even though it was being TiVo'd in the other room I was working on my badge sewing and didn't want to move my butt.

So Now I've seen the premier and I'm going to have to read your post again, but more slowly this time so I can make a proper comment and not one with a lot of run-on sentences, and I am very tired now which I already said.

Mmmmmm. Bay Rum. I think you're right about that. Sheesh, it's almost eleven, off to bed! Maybe I'll do the picture thing next week. Do we have to design our own outfit for viewing? I missed that part.

November 16, 2007 1:59 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

blogger has the flu. my comment came up again, how weird is that?

November 16, 2007 4:13 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Very weird. And you really should go to bed. Good grief, 4am? Honey, do you need a tablet?

November 16, 2007 6:26 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Rami is my early pick for the winner.

November 16, 2007 9:12 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

4:13 your time is7:13 my time.

November 16, 2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

"The government should stop waterboarding prisoners and just leave them alone in a room with Elisa for 5 minutes. That'd win the war on terror."

Ha! Ha! Ha ha haha!!

I had to wait a few days before reading (and therefore commenting) on this post because, like the Neighbor, I missed the actual premiere. So there's a demerit on my homosexual membership card, but I think I do get some points for being such a superfan of the show that I've programmed my DVR to automatically record all new episodes.

Anyhoo, I just watched it last night and loved your recap. I do loves me some PR, altho' I defer from the judges mostly in their belief that ugly is better than boring. To that end, Ricky shouldn't even have been yelled at last night, altho' it will probably force him to step up his game a little.

Next week looks positively drama-licious!!

November 17, 2007 5:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anne, stupid time zones. Pie?

Red, I was rather fond of that line myself. No demerits on your membership card...having the DVR programmed is your exemption. JP doesn't even try. That's why he's in trouble with the Committee. Again.

November 17, 2007 8:44 AM  
Blogger SkippyMom opined...

BRAVO! [hee] This is just brilliant...a definite link - you say all the things I think and wish I was pithy enough to write.

I will be back, without fail, for your weekly re cap. "Put them in a room with Elisa for five minutes. That would win the war for sure [paraphrase]" Too g/dmn funny!

Thanks, I needed this!!!!

November 18, 2007 3:37 AM  
Blogger SkippyMom opined...

Oh...and Jeffrey? We almost took out the HD with that win.

He sucked, cheated...and although tatoos are nice, how the heck are THOSE neckshit scribbles gonna look in 30 years?

um...just uh, my lil' opinion.

November 18, 2007 3:44 AM  
Blogger thmswht opined...

Christian is the bitchiest little man ever, and i'm not a fan. however, i did love the purple dress that chris did, mixed with that fabulous gold tie around the neck. lovely.

November 18, 2007 5:39 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Skippymom, you just come by any old time. Although I can't make any promises as to the quality of the reviews, I always have something to say about PR!

Thmswht: Yes, that was a nice thing...I must say that overall this really is probably the most talented bunch of designers. Of course, then, I kinda wonder how much fun it will be to see really established folks competing versus the more amateur, struggling up and comers of earlier years.

Who'm I kidding? It'll be fantastic.

November 18, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Twisi, silly me...missed your brief little comment tucked in there with all the other silliness. I reserve judgement on the winner until way later but Rami for sure looks strong for the Final Three.

November 18, 2007 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Um...what's Project Runway?

***ducks***

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

My reality TV quotient has always been very low, and I never could drum up much interest in PR--although I rather enjoyed Queer Eye and both the original and domestic incarnations of What Not to Wear. But PR? Nope.

Am I drummed out of the Admirers of the Order of the Koihead now? Do I get to stay if I say Lorraine has pretty eyes? 'Cuz she does!

***genuflects and begs and brings cheesecake***

November 18, 2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Syd, my darling...that's EXACTLY why we keep you around. Or, rather, uh, why we're so glad you come around.

November 18, 2007 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

What, the genuflecting or the cheesecake? :D

Whichever--Thanks, Lorraine!

November 18, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Both, babe. And the Harry Potter confab when no one else could talk about it. I'll be forever grateful for that!

November 18, 2007 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home