Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Some Observations and Some Food

Yesterday we went out for lunch at Iwanski's favorite hot dog joint.

A classic Chicago dog. Yum.
Words to live by.

Then The Child and I went out and did a little shopping. It was a little warmer yesterday than it has been, but still lovely.


The afternoon was all about getting ready for the Trailer Trash party. Merlene Hogswaller, fixin' up some of her dandy devilled eggs.


'Cause any proper Trailer Trash party starts with real good horses ovaries. And Miss Healthypants brought the fried pork rinds to round out the spread.
Talk about good! Corn dogs, baked beans, tater salad and a nice red Jell-o.
Cousin John Bob brought his real fancy NASCAR cooler full of some right fine beer.
The Mouse family came on up 'cause ain't no party complete without 'em anymore. (I'm really hoping they'll come out for my birthday party in September. If you are looking for property in the Chicago area, please contact the Mouse and let her sell you something).
Since The Spouse's Trailer Trash name is Buck, we had to call the actual Buck Two Buck. (Did you know that if he'd been a girl his folks were going to name him Jacqueline Creama? Creama Wheat. Seriously. He even called his mom to confirm the story. And then we passed the phone around the room to tell her what a lovely son she has).
John Bob, posin' fer the Kodak.
MHP and The Child, doin' the Shimmy Shimmy Shake.
On the roof for the fireworks show.
Jon makes watermelon daiquiris. I'm not a fan of the watermelon. But his drinks were really delicious. Went down real smooth. Stubbed my head on 'em, but sometimes you pay the price. Paying the price. That would also be why after all this eating I look 5 months pregnant.

Climbed a grueling 11 floors to the roof to watch the fireworks (using the elevators wasn't even an option as everyone in the building plus all their guests were headed up there as well)and then came back down to sit out on the "front porch" some more and talk and laugh and call both The Neighbor and JP and pass the phone around so everyone got to talk to them.

Iwanski finally hit his wall and went home like a sane person. But Buck, MHP and the fam were just getting started. So we did karaoke until 4 am.

At one point, well before the daiquiris had kicked in, I announced that I felt truly blessed to be in Chicago with this particular group of people. It was just the truth. And later, in the midst of much conviviality, Iwanski said, "Can you believe we just met 3 days ago?". Because, you know, there we all were just hanging in that totally comfortable way that friends do.

And I observed that when I told people we were making this trip to meet people I knew from the interwebs, there were often those who would lift and eyebrow or make a remark like, "Wow. Hope they aren't serial killers". (Which was silly because what are the odds that they'd all be serial killers? I mean, really. The odds of that would have to be like, what? really, really high).

But here's the thing: we weren't the only ones taking a risk. Crikey, for all Buck knew we were going to come here and sell all his stuff on eBay. And it should also be noted here, since I noted it last night, that this trip could certainly have gone the other way. Serial killers and scam artists aside, we could have discovered that all we had in common was the fact that we blogged. We could have spent 2 minutes saying "Hi, how are ya?" and then just sat around awkwardly, wondering how we were going to stand to be around each other for a week. Or we could even have found each other really obnoxious.

JP and I have talked about this before, about this magical little circle of bloggers we've found and our friendly little virtual neighborhood. And we talked about it again last night and how superfantastic it is that our expectations about these particular people have been met and exceeded. If I lived in Chicago I would totally hang with these people. And I think they'd let me hang with them. It's just a gift, puppies. A sheer, unmitigated gift.

Oh, and a big storm blew in last night, as we sat out there on the Balcony of Terror, watching a million people trying to get out of the city. (Bwahahaha). We'd been hearing about these legendary Chicago thunder storms and it was impressive. The Child was inside when it started and came out at the first flash.

"What was that?" she asked, all saucer eyed.

"God's fireworks".

"Oh. Cool".

Today has been spent in recovery mode...cleaning up, resting our heads and watching what appears to be an airing of every episode ever of "Twin Peaks" (which was one of my favorite shows ever). There has been some napping. And mineral water. And The Child continues to explore the wonders of Easy Cheese.

In a bit we're going to head for Chinatown and a much ballyhooed dinner at Lao Sze Chaun

I will not be eating beef maw.

Oh, and happy birthday America.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Nuthin like a strategically placed mug to hide the after-party-belly, right? Wonderful photos! Sounds like the best time evuh!

July 04, 2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

For the next several weeks, Hat, I will be strategically arranging myself like an actress whose real life pregnancy hasn't been written into the script.

July 04, 2007 2:30 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Hi Lorraine - we're here, just barely, but here. email me or call the number I sent to your celtic mama address re plans for tomorrow.

July 04, 2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

You all are poster children for good blogging. It's a great story with just the right amount of pathos.

I particularly appreciated the Chicago hot dog. It kind of made me teary eyed. I'm a South Sider, so it's White Sox hot dogs that rule, but if you're hanging with Cubs fans, I guess you have to do the Cubs thing. Only right and polite and all that.

July 05, 2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

BB: Well, thanks. It's actually been hard to put into words everything this trip has meant to me.

July 05, 2007 2:48 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Lorraine-- thank you so much for that plug!!!

July 06, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Yeah, right, Lorraine. You look perfect. NOT 5 months pregnant! I think I really hate you even more. :)

It is so cool that you all clicked, and I know what you mean about the raised eyebrows by those who don't "get" the whole blogging/interwebs thing. My Spouse is one of those. He thinks that the internet is full of people who pretend to be something other than who they really are and thinks it's weird to want to meet IRL. He's so old school. :) I think our group of blog buddies are pretty nifty people who would all totally have a blast together, even if some of us (me) are on one side of the political fence and others (everyone else) are on the other side. It just wouldn't matter one whit. Wish I were there.

July 10, 2007 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home