Monday, January 04, 2010

Obligatory First Blog Post of the Year

Lord knows I love the holidays but it's nice that a little window of normal is opening up before the not normal of the family being temporarily being increased by 1.

The Child will not get up happily this morning, of that I am quite sure. She went out on New Years Eve and had a sleep-over with BFF #2, came home around 5 on New Year's Day and then went to a birthday party on the 2nd which also included a sleep-over. She was veryvery tired last night and veryvery grumpy about my "forcing" her to finish the paper on Macbeth that she had all holiday to work on. (To be fair, it was mostly done but for the tidying up of editing but still). Point is, she will be suffering from the cummulative effects of her weekend.

The Spouse is just now leaving for his first day back at the office in 2 weeks. I think he's ok with it, so long as he can make coding seem like playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare or Fallout.

On Saturday I was feeling a little resentful about my minimal amount of holiday time and about having to spend the weekend running errands, per usual, while The Family played and thinking about how I always have to spend the weekend running errands, per usual, while The Family plays and then it hit me. "Hey! I'm earning leave". So I decided that I'm going to take one Friday off every month. And those days are going to be just for me and whatever I feel like doing. (MAB won't like it. She hates it when I'm out of the office. But that's okay because I hate it when she is out of the office). The very thought of such a plan immediately brightened my mood and I finished all my errands quite happily.

So that's my number 1 resolution for 2010. The other is to keep using my wonderful little Wii Fit to get myself ready for meeting Michelle Obama in May. (Meeting Michelle Obama is resolution #3). I love playing with my Wii. I love that I've already lost a pound and am feeling more limber. I love that it is easy to stay committed because it's fun. Technology is a good, good thing.

So we're "back to normal" for a bit. Until Friday, when we receive our Australian exchange student for 2 weeks. The Child and I connected with her on Facebook and her mum friended me. We've had some delightful chats. I knew it was meant to be, though, when she referred to herself as "the worst mother in the world". "Oh, no you're not," I replied. "I am the worst mother in the world and I have the theme song to prove it!"

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

good luck to the start of the year~!

January 04, 2010 7:44 AM  
Blogger Barb opined...

Wow ~an exchange student. That'll be interesting. My hubster went back to work today. Kids go back to school tomorrow and then my time is MINE~ all mine. Happy 2010

January 04, 2010 8:28 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

one friday a month is a great plan. however, don't you only earn 8 hours a month, and you'll need more time when you come to see me 'n Michelle in May.

oh, and delegate those errands: I'm sure spouse will love it if you make the grocery store the "warcraft store"

no?

January 04, 2010 10:20 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

One Friday only? I am happy to pass the tiara of Worst Mother to two worthy candidates.

On the Local news the other night they were showing the weather you are probably having right now....no Seattle on the map but there was Forks all bright and glittery on the Washington map!!! You have been replaced.

January 04, 2010 11:17 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Way to go on taking one Friday off per month--I am doing something similar this year--yee haw! :)

Also, way to go on using that Wii Fit. I was sooo motivated by Wii Fit at first, but then the exercises got repetitive and I got bored. So now I'm back to yoga and walking. Ya' gotta do whatcha gotta do. :)

January 04, 2010 12:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Sage. And also with you.

Barb, it was really fun last year so we figured we'd try again. And the good news is that if she's a nightmare we get to send her back in 2 weeks! Enjoy your "mine all mine" time!

Anne, you forget I'm rolling into the year with enough leave to cover one Friday a month for the next 14 months! And I think the conference counts as work so I don't even eat up any time there!

The Spouse would be happy to do the grocery shopping. Except I can't trust him. Little matter of not sticking well to grocery lists!

Rosie, Katie and I will wear the tiara proudly. Stupid Forks.

MHP: I mix up the Wii bits a lot. That way I don't get bored. Plus I'm very competitive so I'm always trying to beat my last personal best.

January 04, 2010 3:37 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I was thinking about becoming an exchange student.
Do you suppose there's a nice Australian family out there that has access to Kentucky straight whiskey?
Is there paperwork I need to fill out?

January 05, 2010 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home