Friday, December 25, 2009

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime

And at first I wasn't so sure that would be the case. It is, I suppose, silly to think that people will be nice to each other just for the sake of the day. I mean, I think they should make the effort but that's just me. Point is, yesterday was not a banner day in the household and I was beginning to think that calling off Christmas this year would be a good thing. That or running away to Italy. By myself.

From what I understand, it is perfectly normal for a father and teenage daughter to go at it hammer and tongs. Lord knows, I did with my father, Sean Connery. The problem is, aside from the noise level and the vibes of acrimony, most of the time it just seems so unnecessary.

But just when I was thisclose to despair, quite sure that no civil conversation would ever again be heard in our home, people calmed down, had that civil conversation and spent what was left of the evening in harmony and peace. Which is sort of the point of Christmas and since we are a family that claims to care about that, it was nice to see us actually acting like, uh, Christians.

And at least for this moment (because we must remember that expecting consistent maturity from a teenager is just plain silly) The Child is being quite lovely. Like instead of waking us at O-dark-thirty she got up, made coffee and unloaded the dishwasher. And when I got up she asked if she could help me finish the brioche. Love. That.

Anytinsel, I must away to the one grocery store that I know is open to fetch just a few things for tonight's dinner and then I'm going to take my traditional Christmas nap.

I hope you are all merry and bright and that your Christmas is white, in moderation. (A wish that is already too late for those of you under the Christmas Blizzard of '09. I hope all of you stay especially warm and safe today!)

Happy Christmas.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I made it out of O'Hare and am safe and warm in the bosom of South Texas.

December 25, 2009 6:18 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Though you would have been more than welcome here in Italy I'm glad things toned down and this Christmas was a good one.

December 26, 2009 4:42 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Need I remind you we have a deal about that running away to Italy thing Cuz?

December 26, 2009 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

Peace

:+}

December 26, 2009 6:12 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Ah, teenagers.

December 27, 2009 5:23 PM  
Blogger Caitlin opined...

Love "0-dark Thirty"

December 27, 2009 7:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And a happy Christmas to all y'all, Buck.

Keep a light on, Wills. We're not done here yet.

No reminder necessary, Cuz. Keep a bag packed and wait on my signal.

Merry Christmas, Anonyba!

Caitlin, You're still in that phase, are you not?

December 28, 2009 7:13 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

?
skipped right over me in your replies.

:(

December 28, 2009 1:30 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Merry Belated Christmas, Rainey!! :)

December 28, 2009 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home