Tuesday, December 22, 2009

One of the absolutely most delightful sensations in the world is to roll over in the middle of the night and unearth the second pillow, which is all cool and delicious from not having been slept on and rearranging one's head on it. Something about that cool pillow against a snuggly warm face is just too fabulous.

****

Lately I've been seeing little towheaded dumpling children skipping alongside their mothers and I want to run up to them and say, "Don't grow up and be mean to your mother!" They wouldn't listen and the mothers would just be freaked out so I don't do it.

Which is all to say that there are days when I really miss my little towheaded dumpling child who used to worship me and always want to snuggle me and have me read with her and talk about all the things she thought were important in the world.

But by the grace of God, just when I think I can't take the snarling, pouting, door slamming sylph one more minute without teaching her the proper meaning of the term "bitch slap", she does something so adorable or funny or even, shockingly, mature and I think, "This too shall pass".

Of course, now whenever I heard some young bride talk about how much she wants a baby I am very tempted to say, "Yes, but do you want a teenager?" Because somehow that part of the package is always left out of the sales pitch.

***

It was really cold last night but it didn't snow. Guess all that is being saved for Nebraska. Sorry kids.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

"the snarling, pouting, door slamming sylph one more minute without teaching her the proper meaning of the term "bitch slap",

OMG - that was one of the funniest lines I've read in a long time!

I've told the Iwanskis that I look forward to the day when they have a darling little baby. And also to the day when that child is 14, has a meltdown, can't stand them anymore and runs over to Uncle Buck's down the street.

Yes, I have a dream . . .

December 22, 2009 7:37 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Perfect description of a teenager. They do grow out of this stage.....eventually....like around 35. Merry, merry Lorraine.

December 22, 2009 11:20 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I had to look up the word, "sylph".

There were two definitions:

1)a woman or girl who is slight and graceful

2)an elemental soulless female being imagined to inhabit the air

December 22, 2009 11:30 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

my towheaded little dumpling managed to kill the hand mixer and the kitchen-aide the other night in the course of about 8 minutes.

dumpling, my butt.

December 22, 2009 11:57 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I am ever so glad that I did not kill any of teenagers, even though I was sorely tempted. They have grown up to be my best friends.

December 22, 2009 4:41 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Rest assured that I will make sure that Buck gets to "babysit" our annoying teenage son or daughter someday. *grin*

December 22, 2009 8:10 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

P.S. I linked to your blog on my blog--I wrote about our bacon jam "miracle." *smiles*

December 22, 2009 8:13 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I feel your pain. The end of puberty "Oh hell college is next year and reality bites" spiral in conjunction with the onset of voice cracking, testosterone and male hormone hell.. I's been a loonnggg few months.

December 26, 2009 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home