Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Hope the 21st Century's Teen Years Go Better than Mine Did

Stina and I were talking on Christmas Eve about how we both have to have certain things done by New Year's Eve....things like the bills paid, the house swept and dusted, beds made, laundry done. We both have this notion that if we sit down to our caviar and champagne with these tasks accomplished it somehow sets the tone for the coming year. Not, mind you, that nothing will go wrong or that (I laugh) the housekeeping will always be done. It's more to do with the symbolic nature of Things Accomplished and of Setting the Stage for the coming year.

Also on my short list of things to do before New Year's Eve:

Reflect. (It doesn't feel like I've done much of that lately).

Buy aforementioned caviar and champagne (one of the best shopping trips of the year).

Set a goal or two. Nothing monumental. Nothing "resolution-y". Just setting some guideposts.

(Speaking of which, last night my little Wii thing-y told me that I had lost .2 pounds since I started my new fitness program. Must make room for the latkes and caviar, mustn't we?)

Do you have any end-o-the-year-start-o-the-new rituals?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Doralong opined...

Black eyes, greens and pork for New Years Day and the ritual tossing of the tree off the back deck. I don't do resolutions as I consider them self fulfilling failures waiting to happen.

December 29, 2009 8:58 AM  
Blogger Al In The County opined...

I'm glad you mentioned reflect. I find myself getting caught up in the day to day and forgetting to look back to where I have been in the past year.

Happy New Year to you and the fam.

December 29, 2009 4:12 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I'm with you on the need to REFLECT. Must do that more...

December 29, 2009 6:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Cuz, we have Hoppin' John and cornbread. Plus, I agree entirely with the resolution thing. See? Related.

Well, Al, those cows ain't gonna milk themselves. ;) A happy New Year to you and the hubbers. And may we all take a little time to reflect now and then.

You seem like a VERY reflect-y person, MHP. Or maybe it's just that you seem to have such a good balance in your life...and that, to my mind, suggests ample reflection. Either that or you're just wicked good at Wii Fit. Happy New Year, dollface!

December 30, 2009 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home