Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Two Things That Happened at Work Yesterday

I got my H1N1 shot yesterday. I was in line with some very punny people, which was nice because I don't enjoy shots anymore than anyone else and I didn't really want to get one except I did. There were 2 nurses working the line and the one who was administering the shots was the same woman who gave me my seasonal flu shot. But then she left and the other woman took over. And the other woman is, I believe, not human.

I bared my arm to her and looked away because that seems to help. I felt her touch my arm, aiming for the spot. I scrunched my face, knowing the prick couldn't be far behind. But there was no prick. And then she was tossing the sharp in the bucket and putting a band-aid on my arm. I looked at her in amazement. "I seriously didn't feel a thing," I said.

She shrugged and said, "That's 45 years of experience for you".

"Well, I applaud you and your 45 years and I would like you to administer every shot I ever have to have ever again in my life".

And today? My arm doesn't ache. At all.



So yesterday we were talking about the union and Housekeeper Steve, who is a union steward, was asking if I could be in the union (because typically people attached to the CEO's service line can't be or something like that). Now, I wouldn't want to join the union in this particular case, primarily because it all too often is more obstructionist than anything else and I wouldn't want to be playing on that team. Anyway, MAB says, "Would it be on her pay stub?" and he says, "Maybe," so she asks if she can open mine (which had just arrived) and I was all "Sure, you know how much I make," and then all a sudden she says, "OMG, Lorraine, what are you doing with 124 hours of leave?"

"Huh?"

During all the time I was a temporary employee I didn't get paid leave or sick time. That's what HR told me, that's what MAB told me, that's what The Neighbor told me. But apparently, once I became permanent all that time was given to me retroactively.

My first words? "See you in January!"

But not really. Fortunately, I can roll the time over into next year. Which means I'm starting out '10 with nearly 3 weeks (and we accrue 8 hours every pay period, or something incredibly generous like that). Crazy, huh?

But now I can take off Christmas Eve. And that makes me way happy.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

Yay for the extra time off. That is cool they gave it all to you. I still need to get the pig shot..I hope I can get the same nurse.

December 02, 2009 7:30 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

We get to carry-over 240 hours. You're half-way there. How on earth do you get 8 hours of leave/pp? That's for folks who have worked for 15 years!

Anyway, don't spend it now, in case they do a leave audit and you'll be in the whole.

I'm trying to save up leave for spring break, 56 hours

December 02, 2009 1:17 PM  
Blogger happileah opined...

The gift of time is always the best-I'm so happy for you!

December 02, 2009 1:18 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I would advise against anonymous's offer. Sounds very scamy.

Old nurses are the the best.

December 02, 2009 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Slingspam opined...

Buenos Aires!.
I would like to become person of affluent leave time such as yourself.
Are great quantities of arm punctures a good requirement of this means?
I would pierce my uvula in the afterthought of any consideration your assistance knows of this.

December 02, 2009 7:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sage, EVERYBODY should have that nurse.

Anne, yes on the carry over number and I may have confused my leave earned with other folks I know who have been there longer. But still, 3 weeks leave in one year? The Spouse was with Costco for YEARS before he had that much. And Costco has a very generous policy.

Leah...it is truly a gift of time!

Mom, and that's why Anonymous was deleted and yes, they are.

Slingspam, even without the now deleted set up, that was classic.

December 02, 2009 8:08 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Perhaps some of that time can be used for an Easterly trip someplace? Idaho is a nice place I have heard. Small towns are preferable and ones that start with S are the best....I've heard that.

December 03, 2009 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Fine. Now you're coming to Nebraska twice this year.

December 03, 2009 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home