Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Ask Not

There was a time, long ago and back in the mists thereof, when I lived and died by my site meter. I checked it constantly and if it was up I was elated and if it fell I was all self-castigate-y and "how will I regain my audience" and such.

Then I got over it.

Then I pretty much forgot about it.

Then once, a few months back, on a whim I checked it and I was averaging 30 readers a day. Which, given that I have no ad-driven revenue and pretty much just do this for my own amusement seems like a lot, right? Except, of course, that I used to average more like, uh, 120 hits a day.

So then I get kind of depressed because I know that the whole not blogging daily thing hurts and all that but holy hell, really? 120 loyal readers and then, like 70% of them go away? (Is it 70%? Remember, I was an English major). Talk about abandonment issues.

Right, so I stop with the looking at the site meter thing again because really, who needs the aggravation?

Then the other day I checked it, after the "Recapalooza" on "Blogging Project Runway" because that used to always boost my numbers (like, double them) so I just wanted to see if that trend was holding. And it kinda was but more importantly, I saw that I was now averaging 70 hits a day. On non Project Runway days. And I thought to myself, "Hey! People are coming by again! See what a little effort can do?"

And then I thought about how yesterday the President of the United States of America addressed the youth of America to basically encourage them to exert some effort and take some responsibility and, you know, not just sit around waiting for good stuff to fall into their laps and then I thought, "It's almost like he's talking about blogging".

Know what else I thought about yesterday? I couldn't help wondering about the folks who were all kerfuffled about the unprecedented act (if you exclude Reagan and Bush I, who did it before him) of a President going on telly to address the youth of the nation. I was wondering if any of them gathered together, fire all up in their bellies, to watch the President's [incendiary, god-forsaken] speech (far from the listening ears of their children, mind). And sure, they were only subjecting themselves to the horrors of listening for 15 minutes to the wretched man (who they despise beyond all reason but not because he's black) so they could go out there with an "informed" opinion and rail to whatever microphone that was available afterwards. And I just wondered if, when they heard the POTUS make his remarks about personal responsibility, working hard and not making excuses while never once talking about any political issue or declaiming an agenda, at least one or two of 'em looked around and caught the eye of another parent and had the grace to feel foolish.

I think it is veryvery important that we all remember that "conservative" does not categorically mean "wingnut", anymore than being a Democrat makes a person a leftist (or even a liberal, for that matter). Our definitions have become very garbled and it has become entirely too easy for all of us to slap on big, sweeping general labels on those who disagree with us. I am surrounded every day by people who generally do not vote as I do but can count on one hand the number of them who are, by any accepted definition, "wingnuts". I think it would be a good thing if we all stepped back from the generalizations and more often use our powers of critical thinking.

Meanwhile, Iwanski delivers, once again:

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

iwanski pepenschwanker? is that correct....damn, that outta blow your site meter right off the charts. I haven't looked at those numbers for months either....lots of reasons why. I missed the talk to the kids content.....I was at the doctor's office paying my co-pay required by my insurance that every American should be able to also do. I am not well, but I have a good doc and insurance. Sorry, my soap box was making bubbles.

September 09, 2009 9:30 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

gotta go check my stats, brb...

September 09, 2009 9:47 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Like Yvonne de Carlo in Follies - I'm still here!

Great clip - Iwanski nailed it but unfortunately there will be some people out there watching it and nodding in agreement!

September 09, 2009 12:01 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Politics has made me sick lately. I sure am grateful that I have good health insurance.

September 09, 2009 12:42 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

sitemeter can't track people who read via newsfeeds, can it? I read almost everything through feeds, then I'll hop over if I want to post a comment. Like now.

September 09, 2009 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I got 5 hits today.

September 09, 2009 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Its a bumper crop for the local huckelberries in the area this year. Record breaking size and flavor. Hmmm, long cold wet spring, hot summer and early fall.

May be good for the chanterelles too.

So this means your gonna up the bloggin'? Very good. More money in a book though.

Yay Iwanski!!! Thought that was just too true. Stupid president. lol

Jon Stewarts old buddy Steve Colbert gets the response of Republicans thinkin he is for them all the time. Very strange.

Peace

:+}

September 09, 2009 3:14 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

My dear friend Rainey is brilliant!
Iwanski?...Brilliant!!
JP?..3 of those hits were mine.

September 09, 2009 6:39 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Iwanski is, indeed, brilliant.

September 10, 2009 4:20 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Spoiler! :)

What does it mean that I actually Tivoed oBamamama's Address. I do actually have intentions of watching it later..honest

September 10, 2009 5:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Wow, Iwanski and I need to catch up on some blogs! :) I just saw this and yelled to him in the other room about this post...

Thanks for posting what I thought was a brilliant video, too. Yep, I think he's brilliant, as well--I feel pretty lucky to be married to him. :)

OK, with all that mushy stuff out of the way...I never check site meters--I never have from the very beginning--I want to be into blogging because I like writing, not because I get attention. Although I gotta say, getting some attention is kinda fun! *smiles*

September 10, 2009 8:08 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Thanks Rainey!

September 10, 2009 9:53 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

It's easy not to check your stats when only about 3.5 people read your site.

My fault, I know. But I could never sustain the daily blogging thing.

I can't even sustain the emailing friends thing!

I should point out: I don't feel as depressed as the above sounds. You can only feel so bad on a day when you're planning to watch a movie that involves not only food but also The Divine Meryl!!!

September 11, 2009 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home