Thursday, August 27, 2009

Have an Apple

One of these days I'll get around to downloading my pictures from Forks. Mostly, they are pictures of The Child standing if front of Twilight related stuff in Forks. The weather was gorgeous so there were no vampire sitings. Which is just as well.

Forks is a very small town. They only have 3 traffic lights and one of those is a 4-way stop. And it is not a pretty town. It nearly burned down back in the 50s so the rebuilding efforts were all mid-century and without inspiration. You can't even use the phrase "faded elegance" to describe Forks. It is po.dunk. But for The Child it couldn't have been more magical than if we'd been in Paris. And that's all that mattered. She had a blast and I had a blast being with her having a blast.

And now we're back to real life with a vengeance. I hit the ground running at work yesterday (after assuring MAB and the housekeepers that I was not "turned" while I was there). And today is the first day of school. When, btw, did it become acceptable to start school before Labor Day? Whose bright idea was that? August is still summer and it just does not sound right to say "I start school on August 27". Not right at all.

On the other hand, The Child is very excited to go back so there it is. It hit me this morning that, counting today, I only have 3 more mornings of saying, "Time to get up for the first day of school!" Only 3 more mornings of taking the obligatory back-to-school photos in front of her tree. It's crazy because it seems like yesterday that she was starting kindergarten. But I guess it wasn't.

Tonight Sandra and I will have our traditional back-to-school Bloody Marys, plus she's taking us all out to dinner. Then we'll watch "Project Runway". Then there's wedding stuff all weekend.

I need a vacation!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

i hate hitting the ground running when I've forgotten shoes.

August 27, 2009 12:21 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

The Girl got moved up to top algebra2/trig class today. yipee.

August 27, 2009 12:21 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Yep, wanna see pictures! I'm glad you guys had a great time. Now excuse me while I go buy some garlic and dust off my collection of Crosses..

August 27, 2009 12:39 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

....in a blink, Lorraine, in a blink.

August 27, 2009 12:55 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Sweetie, you can still have plenty of First Day of School days - - - for The Grandchildren

August 27, 2009 1:21 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Sunrise, sunset. I don't remember growing older, when did they?

August 27, 2009 2:15 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

And don't forget - - we have little Emmitt here waiting.

August 27, 2009 2:57 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

School in August that seems insane? Atleast right away they get a three day weekend.

August 28, 2009 8:32 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

What, Forks was not a good enough vacation for you? *grin*

August 28, 2009 5:58 PM  
Blogger Barb opined...

Visiting Forks would be Nirvana for my daughter and truth be told, I'd think it was pretty cool too.
As for school ~ we started here on the 10TH OF AUGUST! And trust me, here in Fla, that's still summer! I wouldn't have minded a few more weeks with the kids hanging out in the pool.

September 14, 2009 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home