Monday, August 24, 2009

Under a Near Constant Cover of Clouds

I am in a room painted blood red and black.  The duvet cover and pillows are red, embossed with black velvet filigree.  There is a poster of Edward Cullen over my bed.  The curtains are black and when the sun hits them they...wait for it....sparkle.

Yep, we're in Forks, Washington or, as one motel sign aptly puts it, the Twilight Zone.  

Forks is a very ugly little town.  It has none of the elegance of, say, Port Gamble or Port Townsend.  It is a logging town where the logging industry has virtually died.  If it weren't for the series by Stephanie Meyer, people might still live here but no one would come on vacation.   But those little books about a human girl in love with a vampire created a whole new industry.  It has, you'll pardon the pun, become the lifeblood of this sucky little town.  

Even the locksmith tauts "Twilight" souvenirs.

Very soon we will be leaving on our 3 hour tour (a 3 hour tour) of all the major sites in the books.  (Except Italy).  I know.  You're feeling very, very jealous right about now.   

But you know what?  The Child can't stop herself from thanking me for bringing her here.  That makes every penny, every minute more than worth it. 

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

Well, best mom in the world at least for the time you are in Forks.....I have all of my books on Italy ready to pack....just give the word and we can be on the....ummm...volo....no that's just plain plane....I meant aeroplano.....going to bello Italia.....that might be bella depending on whether Italy is a boy or girl. I think.

August 24, 2009 11:52 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

oh I Love it!!!It the Child was thinking she should have gone for the Italy tour too.

August 24, 2009 12:10 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

don't care for twilight. bring me back some lumber.

thank you.

August 24, 2009 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I hope the weather doesn't start getting rough.

August 24, 2009 2:33 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

And I thought I was cool when I took my daughter on the Laura Ingalls Wilder tour... ya got me beet!

August 24, 2009 7:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Oh, I'm SO jealous!!!! You know it! *hee hee*

P.S. To Citymouse--my parents also took my sister & I on the Laura Ingalls Wilder tour when we were little! :)

August 24, 2009 8:42 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

You officially qualify for sainthood now Cuz.

August 25, 2009 3:21 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

What a good mother you are! Isn't it fun to be able to do something that brings your kid such joy.

August 25, 2009 6:26 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I hope we get lots of pictures of all the fun you kids are having! :)

You know,I was thinking,..how do we know there aren't really Vampires,and that 'Come visit the town where the movie was filmed and take the 3-hour tour' isn't the oldest ploy in the Vampire book, designed to lure unsuspecting city girls into their clutches??
I mean,..I hope not,..but that would make a cool story!

August 25, 2009 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Syd opined...

All I can say is, better you than me. The excerpts I've read of Twilight and its sequels just make my skin crawl...and not in a good way.

But I'm glad you're having fun, and very glad you're getting Cool Mom cred!

August 25, 2009 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Forks. Lived there for awhile. A very short while.

Good mushroom hunting. Used to be some beautiful old growth forests, before Reagan. During his administration they did 40 years of logging in 8. The loggers actually went on strike to protest it. They lost.

Not much left now since most of the scabs that came in to break the strike left.

Try to ride some horses. Should be able to find some if you ask around. The beach is incredable but the access sucks. Maybe you can get lucky?

Stay out of the taverns. Duh.

Peace

:+}

August 25, 2009 12:22 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Hope you got pics of the room too. :)

August 27, 2009 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home