Friday, August 14, 2009


Les Paul died yesterday. I think Sling is planning an appropriate tribute. I, on the other hand, found myself thinking randomly about Les Paul and guitars and then I was thinking about one of my favorite punk bands and then I started thinking about this song. Here's what I said about it when I played it back in the club:

As the 80s rolled along, John Doe & Exene, imho, demonstrated the depth of their musicianship. Always a little bit punk, their sound trended more toward roots music, a little rock-a-billy, a little country, certainly sometimes a little softer but still with that raw edge that is X. Or at least that's what I hear.

This song is almost something John Cougar Mellencamp could have done. Only he wouldn't have sounded like this. Because it's still X.


You'd have to work to make a connection between Les Paul and X and I shan't try. Except to note this: Most people think of him as either a country player or the guy who made guitars. But he brilliantly did far more then that, including figuring out how to record layers of sound. And while his musical talents were applied to country and jazz, he did things with and on guitars that had never been done before and along the way he inspired a generation of rockers.

Rest in peace, Les.



X "See How We Are"




Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

I have a 78 of Les Paul and Mary Ford.... How High the Moon.....my mom loved them. He was quite a musical force....she was a songbird.

August 14, 2009 8:31 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I like your tribute better than mine.

August 14, 2009 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Hhhhmmmm. All I get is a blank screen. Am hopping the problem is on your end.

Oh well. Thanks for trying. lol

Peace

:+}

August 14, 2009 11:50 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, little factoid about Les and Mary...they got a divorce because she wanted more of a home life and he wanted to keep pursuing their career. Then they divorced and he ended up retiring from the biz for about 10 years. I hope they were able to make their peace with each other.

August 14, 2009 1:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, come on now.

August 14, 2009 1:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Works on my end, Anonyba. Sorry.

August 14, 2009 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Yay. Got it workin here 2.

Great song. Thanks.

Peace

:+}

August 15, 2009 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home