Monday, August 31, 2009

For Better or For Worse

I've been to a lot of weddings in my time but Ree and Jerry's, on Saturday, lands in the Top Ten of Fantastickness. It wasn't just that it was a beautiful day or a beautiful Mass. It wasn't just that everyone in the wedding party (including The Child) looked terrific. It wasn't just that I didn't lose it and weep all the way through my readings. It wasn't just that the reception was, in the words of Nick Lowe, "an unqualified success" with excellent food and drink, lots of dancing and plenty of karaoke. It wasn't just that the father of the bride (who is an asshat) behaved himself for once or that the bride and groom looked so radiant.

It was all those things and more.

But the best part was simply that we were witness to the vows of a couple who so completely and totally belong together, who model so beautifully what it is to truly love and appreciate the person he or she is with, for good and for ill.

I've known Ree for nearly half of my life. We've been through an awful lot together. I have seen her in other relationships where she was the one who did all the work. I've seen her not in a relationship and felt the pain of being alone it caused her. Ree is one of those people, so full of love, who is meant to share her life with another person. Not just give and give and give to everyone around her (which she does with a self-less generosity) but to be with someone who can give back to her and more, someone who gives in such a way that it gets past the walls she'd built around her heart. (Sometimes, you see, her giving has been a distraction from her loneliness).

The moment we met Jerry we knew the two of them were destined for greatness. We were right. Celebrating all of that with them on Saturday was sheer, unmitigated joy.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Blessings on the new couple!

I love weddings.

August 31, 2009 8:07 AM  
Blogger Kendall opined...

Sounds perfect! Congrats to the happy couple.

August 31, 2009 8:42 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

congratulations to the newly weds and may they be blessed.

August 31, 2009 9:51 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

happy forever to the wedded couple....no photo of the beautiful child all done up in her wedding attendant finery?

August 31, 2009 10:03 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

What a happy post!

August 31, 2009 11:33 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, Kendall & Wills, I'll pass on the good wishes.

Rosie, still on The Spouse's camera. I think there will be a photo essay later this week.

Mom, I'm still grinning about it. It was one of the happiest days of my life, for cryin' out loud!

August 31, 2009 1:04 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

A virtual 'Congrats!' from me too

August 31, 2009 1:50 PM  
Blogger Ruth Fraser Davis opined...

I am so thrilled for Ree. Do convey my warmest, kindest best wishes to her. Oh, but she is sooo deserving.

Eager to see photos along with Rosemary.

September 01, 2009 8:30 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Lovely. Particularly glad the asshat behaved. That expression always makes me titter.

September 02, 2009 11:04 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

That sounds so lovely! :)

I need to find a "Jerry" for my best girlfriend Diane--she's as generous, kind, and giving as your friend Ree sounds like she is. :)

September 02, 2009 8:40 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I love it when good things happen for good people.
Congratulations th the newlyweds!

September 02, 2009 10:18 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Hello, Lorraine, it's the 4th of September and no post.....are you on Facebook? Tomorrow is the 5th. Put the job, family, back to school, that TV show all on the side burner.

September 03, 2009 10:08 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Wait....it's the 3rd...

September 03, 2009 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home