Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Well, That Was Just Delightful, Wasn't It?

We watched the entire proceedings in the family room of the house yesterday. There was cheering. There was standing when asked to stand, praying when asked to pray and singing when appropriate.

(Hello. Was Aretha's hat not Mag. Ni. Fi. Cent?)

After the deed was done, the tears dried, the tissues gathered up, I returned to the office to privately watch the moment that was next most significant...watching that helicopter lift off, removing W from the precincts of Washington. Because I admit that I'm still a little paranoid after 8 years. First, I was totally sure that Justice Roberts was bollocking the oath on purpose, so that later he could declare the whole thing invalid. (It wasn't until later that I learned that Barack was President at noon, with or without the oath, bobbled or not. Whew). Second, I didn't put it past Cheney & Co. to stage some last minute somethin'-somethin'. (Cheney being in a wheelchair invoked some serious Dr. Strangelove meets Mr. Potter oogies in me, btw).

But the helicopter lifted off, the Bushies were all gone and after the Native American sage burning ceremony followed by an exorcism and blessing with holy water everyone could breath again.

Btw, I loved both Michelle's outfits yesterday. She looked awesome. And of course, he did as well. Man, I'm sorry but having a good looking young couple in the White House again...that is just hot.

(Omigosh...last night we were watching CNN and there's a GOP pundit on Anderson's panel (I forget his name, the one with the mustache), who was talking about the appeal and energy that come with the youth of the Obamas and he said, "No disrespect to my fellow Republicans but what in the world made us think we could beat that guy with a 70 year old man?" Made me blow champagn-ya right out of my nose.)



I stayed up very late last night and fell asleep on the couch except that I didn't sleep very well at all until just around the time I would normally wake up but then I remembered that it was Wednesday and The Child has late start and I thought, "well, then I can have a late start, too" so I didn't get up until 7. Only now I have to scramble because, you know, I still have to go to work.



It was sooooooooooooooo nice to have MAB back yesterday. So, so nice.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

Very nice, stuff went on yesterday..very cool that we all will have better outlook to our future now that the Bush is gone.

January 21, 2009 8:48 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

The Obamas,and the Bidens are thoroughly glamorous!..I just wanna take 'em with me every where and show them off.
My favorite part about yesterday was the way Barack hammered the Bush policies in his speech,while Georgie was forced to sit squirming in his seat just a few feet away.

January 21, 2009 8:58 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

You were watching the wrong channel.

I was watching NBC and they cut in at 4 after noon and told us obama had been president for 4 minutes now even without the oath, then later told us the justice tried to do the oath from memory, but it still "took" (my word, not NBC's) even though it was bobbled.

Laura bush looked like she couldn't pick out a winter coat to save her life. That thing looked too flimsy for it being in the 20's yesterday.

The speech was good but I caught myself looking at the crowd shots instead of listening. oh well. that's what tivo is for.

Wonder if Dr. Biden will choose to teach at our lil' old community college....

January 21, 2009 9:20 AM  
Blogger Maureen opined...

We don't really know each other but I am a friend of Mom's and Ann's. I just wanted to let you know that I was in DC yesterday and when Dubya's chopper took off the crowd I was in broke into song. Shannanna,Shannanna,Hey,Hey, Goodbye,(I'm sure that is not spelled right) for the whole time he was circling the Mall area.

January 21, 2009 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Yay!!! Yes we did!!!

Stewart and Colbert were hilarious last night, and yes they brought up the similarity to the bad Dr. as well. lol

Peace

:+}

January 21, 2009 11:41 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

The Obamas are just beautiful people. I'm glad my friend Maureen stood witness to all for me. It would have been fun to sing along with her in the crowd.

January 21, 2009 1:39 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

a great political day for sure. and First momma looked beautiful

January 21, 2009 3:46 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I was watching Larry King last night and Aretha Franklin was a guest. He asked where she got her hat and she reported that she uses a milliner located in Detroit.

I will try to find that milliner and obtain that hat for you for Christmas.

January 22, 2009 9:04 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Last night we were watching the local news, and one of the anchors said, "Today, President Obama (blah blah blah)..." I was like, "President Obama!" Whoo-hoo! I still can't get used to it--what a great feeling! *smiles*

January 22, 2009 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Loved your comparison with the Dick and Dr. Strangelove. Keep on keepin ON!

January 22, 2009 8:37 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

We all watched it together too (whilst, you may be interested to learn, supping on tagliatelle with salmon, creme fraiche and parsley sauce). For once the word 'historic' was more than apt: it was a momentous day and it was particularly moving to think that so many people around the world were all watching it at the same time.

January 23, 2009 4:26 AM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

after the sage burning, exorcism and holy water....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

January 23, 2009 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home