Friday, January 09, 2009

That Voice...That Face....


We fetched Sandy last night. We were supposed to have a sign with her name on it. I didn't know that, since I changed my email address and haven't figured out who at High School needs the update. There was one other family sans sign. Said the mom, "Well, kid, maybe your next host family will be nice". My sentiments exactly.
But despite the piddly ass sign I cobbled together at the last minute on the back of a flyer with a borrowed pen, Sandy found us right away and we gave her big hugs which she returned easily and off we set for home. She is quite adorable. The Child is enchanted with her accent and I was just pleased that she seemed quite comfortable, friendly and polite. The Child was also delighted that Sandy too has read all the Twilight books. The two of them chatted for quite a bit last night, even though the hour was late and they were reminded once that 7am would come very early. But hey...not every day The Child gets an Australian big sister right?

(And huzzah...Sandy hasn't seen the "Twilight" movie yet. Host family now has something to do with her on the weekend. Oh, I know what you're thinking...especially if you've visited us before from outta town. I intended to show her all that and more. Then I read her itinerary. See, this isn't an exchange student in the coming-to-live-with-us-for-a-year-and-go-to-school-in-the-US deal. This is a go-to-America-during-summer-break-and-see-a-mess-of-stuff-every-day-on-a-tour-bus-then-go-home-and-eat-dinner-with-your-American-family sorta thing. Consequently that "free time with your host family" notation was a bit daunting as she'll have already done or be about to do all the fun stuff in town. So we're going to feed her pizza, show her movies and make her sing for her supper next weekend with all our friends. And that, my friends, is how you bring peace between nations).

Anywhirlwind, we have Sandy now and she is, as I mentioned, adorable and I'm sure it will be a lovely experience for all of us.

But all the boys at Rydell High are dying to meet her. There'd better not be any scenes.










Olivia Newton John "Hopelessly Devoted to You"

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Be sure to show her how to play Speed Scrabble. However, Australian spelling must be used by all players.

January 09, 2009 7:22 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Lucky Sandy - she got the best family in Seattle to stay with. Can I come and stay as an exchange whatever - I have a cute accent, well actually I don't have an accent I'm Canadian.

Agree with Buck all those "or" word will have to be "our"

January 09, 2009 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

She looks a bit old for a high-schooler, but damn can she sing. I think I'm in love.

January 09, 2009 8:49 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

How fun for Sandy to be with you and your family. Make sure you show her how our toilets drain opposite of theirs. I find that very important.

January 09, 2009 9:37 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Sandy's gonna go back to Australia,convinced that all Americans are as delightful and gracious as the Rainey household.
Exxxcelent!

January 09, 2009 12:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That is a brilliant idea, Bouck.

Willym, spoken like someone who's never lived with us....and I think Canadian accents are dreamy, eh.

JP, The Spouse has a shotgun and a shovel...

Pretty fun for us, too, Sage. And we have had the toilet discussion already. We also learned that in Australia they eat "tomahto sauce" with their "chips".

Sling, it would certainly beat her going home hating America because of us. But we get along very well....she was very happy about the electio

January 09, 2009 6:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

n of Obama.

Stupid keyboard. Seriously, I think it's possesed. Nothing to do with Sandy, though.

January 09, 2009 6:13 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Let me know if she wants to take a trip to Chicago!!! I am a registered you know! I know you will all have a great time!

January 09, 2009 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

High school musicals. Bah. I was told our next one was going to be the Wizard of Oz which i like and think that the kids would know and enjoy. Now i hear it may be Oliver. Like what kid ever saw OLiver? Ya its more intelectual, this is for one of the lowest rated schoold in the city with an incredable rate of ESL students. Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Had my heart set on the Wiz.

Oh well.

Peace

:+}

January 11, 2009 12:17 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Is Twilight still in theatres or out on DVD yet? you might be in that "twilight zone" and won't have either...

have fun!

January 12, 2009 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home