Monday, January 19, 2009

Rambling

Very soon I will be taking Sandy to the bus. I will miss her. Plus, she saved my life last night. I was doing dishes and I managed to, quite appropriately, slice my right thumb on a carving knife. It hurt a lot and bled even more. But Sandy, who wants to be a midwife, was very compassionate and bandaged me up with nary an "eeeewww...that's so gross".

I suspect this recent wound will not enhance my Xbox game play, which was not particularly compelling to begin with.



I wish I had something profound to say about it being MLK Day. There is a calendar over my desk at work, with the faces of Dr. King and Mr. (soon-to-be-president) Obama and the script between their two visages reads "A Dream Fulfilled". There is a postcard above my desk at home with Mr. (soon-to-be-president) Obama's face and the words "Yes We Did".

That's a sort of summation but really, I can't come up with better. I am like a corked bottle of champang-ya all shook up. I am eager and hopeful. I am, like most Americans, well aware that all the problems we face will still be with us on the 21st of January and that it's going to take more than inspiration and desire to address those problems. But I also know what America looks like when she has leadership. It is that, and a host of other things that I cannot put into words right now, that make me feel all bubbly and fizzy.

One more day and our long national nightmare will be over. We will have a president who has actually read the Constitution and who, I believe, will not be committing perjury when he swears tomorrow to uphold it. Uphold it? Sheesh, he gets to restore it. That is only part of the massive work ahead. But if we can elect a black man to be President, maybe we have what it takes after all to get ourselves up out of the ditch, bang the dents out of the fender, flush the engine and get ourselves on the road again.



Also, yesterday was quite brilliantly beautiful, sunshine-wise, but I realized that it is much easier to believe your house is clean when the sun isn't shining. Oy, the schmutz that was revealed under the unrelenting light of the sun! I don't think I would enjoy keeping house in, say, Arizona.



Right. Time to get Sandy to her bus. Then I think I'll read some poetry. And see if my injured thumb is up to slaying zombies.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

What a glorious day, and tomorrow will even be better.

All is well, except for the peanut butter problems in the world.

January 19, 2009 9:12 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I am sooo thrilled right now!! John & I watched the pre-inauguration festivities yesterday on Tivo, and I got the chills about fifty million times. I can't believe it's really happening! :)

January 19, 2009 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Am definitely hoping you don't end up with zombie thumb, as it would put a crimp not only in the Xboxicity but in the opening of the bottles of champang-ya.

And boy, do I know from household schmutz...the out-of-town friends who I had managed to convince myself would find time in their schedule to come over for dinner on Tuesday found time to come over TONIGHT.

It will be fine, but the washer and dryer have been working overtime and my hands feel like sandpaper. Which is what I get for allowing the housekeeping to get so far ahead of me! :)

January 19, 2009 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Yay!!! One more day!!!

It was 68 degrees F at Paradise on Mt. Rainier last Friday.

Uuhh. It rarely gets that warm in August there over 5000 feet.

Hopefully a sign of the bright future ahead.

Peace

:+}

January 19, 2009 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Summer days, drifting away... (That was for Sandy.)

Meant to call you Friday after BSG but there was drinking. Damn, that was good.

Enjoy your holiday, you spoiled government employee.

January 19, 2009 11:40 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Truly, the peanut butter problems had me worried about you, Sage. Please use caution.

MHP: It's just beyond words, ain't it?

Thank you, Syd. Because it would be my right thumb, the opposibility of which is actually quite important to me for a variety of things.

And I hope you have good moisturizer.

Funny thing, Anonyba...that's sorta how these last few days are making me feel...like a portent of good things. Although, I'd be fizzy and bubbly if it were pouring rain!

JP, word. And I'd like to thank you for your tax dollars once again. But it's important that I rest up. I'm gettin' a new Boss tomorrow! Whoo hoo!

January 19, 2009 12:25 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I am going to stay up tonight to watch your "Days Left in Office" counter go to ZERO.

I've been watching that damn thing for, like, 412 days now and I want to see it run OUT!

January 19, 2009 3:01 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You sliced your right thumb?
Are you left handed??
This changes everything!
Now I have to update your dossier..

I've cleared my schedule,set my alarm,and will be hangin' on every single word of Obama's Inaugural speech as if there will be a test afterward!

January 19, 2009 5:05 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

you need to host longer!

January 19, 2009 6:40 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Really sorry I haven't left a comment for so long: all is mega hectic-er than ever. But I just had to write to say that we'll all be thinking of you and yours in a few hours' time as history is made!

January 20, 2009 4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home