Thursday, January 08, 2009

Where Was I?

I'm the sort of gal who lives by the seasons. Certainly things happen in a certain order, at certain times. Like clafouti...the French version of fruit cobbler. I never make it in the winter because it is the sort of thing that asks to be made with fresh fruit. Eggnog cake, on the other hand, only appears at Christmas time. Never mind that I could make clafouti with frozen berries in the winter or whip up my own eggnog in the summer. That's just not how it is done so I don't.

This ordered sensibility extends beyond the kitchen. We don't decorate for Christmas until Christmas Eve and everything comes down on Epiphany, January 6. There is rhyme and reason, liturgy and purpose...a dedicated time to celebrate the season and then, when it has been fully celebrated, it ceremoniously ends (12th Night party) and we move toward the next season.

This has been our practise for 17, nay, 18 years and will continue to be. Except this year. Our tree is still up, the mantel is still heaped with angels and boughs, lights continue to drape from the garlands outside. The one concession to Christmas being over? Nothing has been lit up since the 6th.

It's not that I'm loathe to box up Christmas. Nor is there any danger that we will be one of those houses with Christmas lights still up in May. The project just has to wait until the weekend.


Any combination of reasons from the follow list will suffice as explanation:

Orthodontist appointments.
Various crises at work (where, you'll remember, I am sans MAB for the next while).
Rainstorms.
Working full-time.
Mandatory study hall twice a week, requiring transportation home from parental unit.
Australians needing a place to sleep.
Australians needing a place to sleep in a bedroom that sometimes seems too small for one person let alone the addition of an ambassador from another country.
Not sleeping. (I'm not stressed out particularly but am having a hard time shutting off the old brain lately).

So the tree is still up but at least we figured out how to fit Sandy the Australian exchange student into The Child's room. (We totally have to call her Sandy, don't we?)

And in other good news, I bought myself a really superfantastic new handbag yesterday.

Have I mentioned how terrific it is that I actually have my own money? That when I went Christmas shopping for The Spouse this year I was spending my own ducats and not his? Or that I make enough (thank you, gentle taxpayers) to meet the obligations I have to the family (tuition and orthodontia) AND still have money to buy pressies? Including pressies once in a while for myself like aforementioned superfantastic handbag I found at BCBGMaxazria?

Also, what the hell kind of name is that for a retailer? Seriously?

"Wow, Rainey! Superfantastic handbag! Where'd you get it?"

"Oh, isn't it swell? I got it at BeeCeeBuh, uh, MaxAss...uh, sounds like Hank Azaria only without the Hank and there are all these Bees and Cees and uh...Costco. That's it...I bought it at Costco".


We begin with liturgy and tradition and end up with handbags. Odd. But seriously...isn't that bag just hot?




Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

why Sandy?

January 08, 2009 8:49 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Good question, why Sandy?

Killer bag.

Stop by to see the cruise pictures!

January 08, 2009 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ok...don't ask me why but when I read "pressies" my mind immediately went to "pasties" (as in "try our new Peel & Press "Press-ie Pasties"...forget that old gloppy runny glue! No more smeared sequins, forget about frazzled feathers! Simply peel off the backing and press the pasties into place! The NEW Peel & Press Press-ie Pasties! $19.95/pair S&H $13.95!)
Is that weird????

January 08, 2009 10:52 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Nice bag!..Is there room in there for the tiara?
Keep an eye on that Zuko kid,he's nothin' but trouble..

January 08, 2009 11:19 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

That bag is so "you". Excellent find.

That reminds me. I have to take down my Festivus Pole.

January 08, 2009 11:54 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

wow what a nice bag...I think..not much of a bag girl myself, but it does look big enough for a jar of peanut butter.

January 08, 2009 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Re: the "Why 'Sandy'?" questions...see the film Grease.

And yes, Rainey, quite a superfantastic handbag! Although I'm a fan of Dooney's barrel bags: big enough to carry what I need, but not so big that I start loading up on nonessentials. Much. :)

January 08, 2009 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

L, so then I just had to google BCBGMaxAzria. Please check the wikipedia page. Max is apparently a living breathing human, but I question (based soley on his picture) whether that man could be responsible for that handbag. Yes, sometimes, I do judge the book by the cover. And the title page. And sometimes even the clinch picture, particularly if there's flowing hair and heaving bosoms.
Wishing you a stress free Friday!

January 08, 2009 2:48 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Cute bag. Don't sweat the Christmas stuff delay - the house looks really empty when it is gone.

January 08, 2009 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Less than two weeks. Hold your breath.

Sheila. Australian dudes keep em in place by callin em all Sheila's.

Surprised you would be a party to that method of thought. Oh well.

Peace

:+}

January 08, 2009 4:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hello? "Grease"? Are you people not up on your musicals featuring Australian exchange students? Sheesh.

MNF, that's one of the weirdest things ever. (scribbles note to self to look into those peel and press pasties)

THANK YOU, Sling! I love a man who is fully versed in the classics.

Buck, the beauty of the Festivus pole is that it actually can just look like a part of the HVAC and no one need be the wiser. Why, you could leave that thing up all year and no one would mock.

Sage, when a bag makes a non-bag person go "nice bag" you know it's a nice bag. And it would hold a jar of peanut butter and you cell phone.

Syd, please join Sling on the side of the room where there is pie for all those who understand my pop cultural references.

MinM, LOL. And bon chic, bon genre...well that makes sense...as a phrase...still think it's a pretentious, silly thing to put in front of one's name. His wife sounds very bossy.

And thanks again for your help today...you're a champ.

KA, true that...although for a while it always makes my tiny living room feel bigger when the tree is gone so I'm sorta looking forward to that. And I figure it will be a nice thing for Sandy to see what Christmas in America looks like...you know, same tree, same decorations only with gale force winds and floods instead of 80 degree weather and shrimp on the barbie.

January 08, 2009 4:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anonyba, oh, yeah, guess I could have nicknamed her Shelia. But Sandy is, I think, more politically correct. Not that I care much about political correctness.

January 08, 2009 4:32 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Ok because I am even more obsessed...Bon Chic Bon Genre and that bag is way cool...really.

January 08, 2009 4:56 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Hey! (annoyed little foot tap) So I forget Sandy was from down under? I get no acknowlegment of my praise of your rockin bag, and, yes, I do think of Hank when I see that brand.

January 08, 2009 6:06 PM  
Blogger The Girl from Lokhandwala opined...

It's very hot. Wish I could find myself the perfect bag too...been hunting for a while.

January 08, 2009 7:15 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Sandy- HAH! Priceless... And I love the bag, really. Dang I have the perfect shoes for it too!

January 09, 2009 5:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, you would LOVE it...the lining is this wonderful melon color and it snaps shut (magnets...but still). I really love it quite a lot.

Anne, if you think I'm going to reward that behavior with pie...oh, fine...here, hold my new handbag while I get you a slice...

ID...it's one of the eternal quests, isn't it...the right size out of the right materials in the right shape for the right price...sheesh. (I'd check the BCBG etc. website...on-line shopping, baby!)

I'll loan it to you, Cuz. But then I have to borrow the shoes. (Because in Blogtopia, I can wear the teeny tiny shoes that adorn your itty bitty feet).

January 09, 2009 6:53 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

As to the "not sleeping," Rainey--check out Melatonin supplements (sold at Walgreens)--they work very well for me! :)

January 09, 2009 11:25 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Oh, that or a good stiff drink! *griN*

January 09, 2009 11:25 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

wait a second!! Sandy was only from Australia in the Movie version of Grease... In the Original broadway version she was not.

January 14, 2009 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home