Friday, January 23, 2009

An Old Song for a New Anthem


I could write an entire post about the spastic and wonderful stage moves of Pete Townsend or the zany life and sad end of Keith Moon. There is blog fodder alone in the eternal cool of John Entwhistle (on whom I had a big crush) or Roger Daltrey's hair.

Having dispatched each of these subjects one could then turn to the talents of each and the force that was created when the 4 came together and the influence, both musical and pop cultural, this band enjoyed.

I probably should someday tell the story of the ultimate mix tape: a collection of meticulously culled snippets of classic rock screams created by Johnny Rotten our senior year of college. It was a masterwork, all the more impressive in hindsight because it was created before music was digitized. Thus not only are we talking about lots of vinyl, hours of catching just the right moment and hitting the RECORD and PAUSE buttons at just the right time, we're also talking about hours of listening, thinking and planning to get all the screams lined up in the proper order. Once committed to tape there was no "I think that would sound better over here" cutting and pasting nonsense that you kids enjoy today. The 70s, man. (shakes head) We also had to walk to and from school 4 miles, uphill, in the snow. Every day. I digress. A notable entry in that mix tape came from this song. Duh.

But I haven't time for any of that. Suffice to say, bits of this song have floated through the transom of my brain this week for obvious reasons so we might as well just get it out there.




The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

I hate getting a song stuck in my head and it won't come all the way out, especially when I can't remember all the words....

January 23, 2009 9:20 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Good song to stuck, though.

January 23, 2009 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Just stopped in to say "hi".
Been a busy and sad week...my mother passed away Sunday morning. God blessed her by taking her in her sleep. She is at peace now and that is a blessing to her family.

Sad MN Fan

January 23, 2009 1:17 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

LOL - - I remember making a tape like that. It might have even been an 8-track.
Shakes head.

January 23, 2009 3:02 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

hey lorrainey-loo my jukebox has a who song too! ginormously great minds gallantly think alike!

January 23, 2009 3:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anne, totally.

Oh, MNF...I'm sooooo sorry for your loss. You need to email me...the last time I tried to email you it was "undeliverable" so I must have something down wrong.

Big hugs to you. And some pie. Would you like some pie?

You did that after you walked the 4 uphill miles in the snow, milked the cows, and did your homework by candlelight, right?

Sfoof, 'course they do....

January 23, 2009 3:27 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

The 70's was the Nixon era right?
Ratz..Fooled us twice.

January 23, 2009 5:44 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Great pic.. now see mine

January 23, 2009 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home