Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Of Front Porches and Family

Gizmo

There we were, in the arms of Sling, being told we were beautiful. Talk about making a couple of girls who are feeling plenty frowzy suddenly come back to life. Of course, cold champagne on the front porch helped with that, too.

Our darling Sling, for we can't refer to him any other way now, has made a life for himself in one of the prettiest little towns in America. Oh, sure, it's got it's main highway filled with not so charming big box stores and such, like pert near any other place in America, but the main townie bit is full of sweet little mostly Victorian houses. And the streets are lined with trees. Beautiful, cool trees. I had a favorite spot on Sling's porch, from the top stair, where I could look out on the street. (Did I take a proper picture of it? No. There were always cars parked along the side. And it's funny how when you are looking down such a street you can ignore that but the camera not so much). There were orange trees on nearly every lot, which astonished us...especially when we saw over-ripe oranges just lying where they had fallen in the street or on the side walk.

The current price of oranges here at home made this all the more marvelous to us. I digress.

Part of the home Sling has made for himself includes the family he's chosen. He lives, as you know, with the Lizzard King, who is a quiet, unassuming, handsome young man who will kill you at Guitar Hero without making you feel like he's just killed you at Guitar Hero. We were also lucky that our visit coincided with the sojourn of Little Newt. He is 6. He has the vocabulary of a 9 year old. Unless it's that of a 12 year old. He is very expressive. He is beautiful. He couldn't think of anything more revolting than a kiss from one of his new aunties and yet, he managed to stick close no matter where we were. Hmmmm. Although, to be fair, the person who he was most inclined to shadow was The Child. If she was watching TV, whatever she had on was Little Newt's favorite program. If she was on the front porch, he was there, too. It was pretty adorable. He also enjoys hosing off the sidewalk. I don't know if he's just an exceptionally tidy child or if it was his way of preventing the spread of fire.
I came into the house after our first little foray into O-town and brightly asked him what he'd been up to while I was gone. "Well, I sprayed the area but don't worry." He held up his hands for emphasis. "I'm going to do it again later". I was glad. I didn't like to miss out on the daily spraying of the area. Rounding out the family unit at the moment is LK's mom, who is the most welcoming, kind, embracing woman I've met in a long time. She made us feel so welcome, wouldn't let us wash dishes (both Hat and I snuck into the kitchen to try but she always shooed us away with a "you're on vacation"). She doted on her grandbabies and attended to us in a most charming, open manner. We felt very much at home.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Blogger opined...

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to gush, but something about the tone of these posts is so effortlessly life-affirming. Give us more! By the way, just to maintain the geographic precision of my earlier comment, I should mention I've just gone through Wimbledon station and I'm about to have a honey smoked macadamia. With Evian. Just thought I'd share that.

June 24, 2008 8:38 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Wonderful travel log....both posts.....Lorraine I felt like I was in the back seat and on the porch. You are so very talented, and blessed too...with friends who all love you....that includes me.

June 24, 2008 11:27 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

That is a sweet post, you are a wonderful virtual travel guide.

I have an orange tree in my backyard...well it is my neighbors, but I take advantage of it. I never buy oranges.

As a little girl in the PNW I was always amazed at the apples and pears in the store...I couldnt figure out why people would pay for something when they could just come to my house and get them off our trees. Simple thinking.

June 24, 2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Sounds like a pleasant time!

June 24, 2008 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

The Impressionism thingy has opened at Sams so am lookin forward to takin child and hering her 3 word desctiption of the vacation.

Peace

:+}

June 24, 2008 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

The Impressionism thingy has opened at Sams so am lookin forward to takin child and hering her 3 word desctiption of the vacation.

Peace

:+}

June 24, 2008 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Little Newt is very cute.

Sling is okay too, I suppose.

June 24, 2008 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

lorraine, Reading your blog about your visit here brought tears to my eyes,mostly because after meeting you,Angie and The Child I felt like I'd known you for ever. You all made it sooo easy to be with you. Im so happy you enjoyed your visit and made us part of it.
I'm so happy that you enjoyed being with my kids and grandkids...I appreciate that. :)
I still miss you guys..hurry back..

June 24, 2008 1:59 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

The only thing I regret,is that we accidently ate all the cheetos,and drank all the champagne-ya without JP..sad really. :P
I can't wait to find out what happened next!

June 24, 2008 3:52 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Keep writing. I love it.

June 24, 2008 7:25 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Awww, that sounds wonderful! :)

Sling and the lot seem like genuinely great people! :)

June 24, 2008 9:25 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

I am gushing. Mas por favor.

June 25, 2008 7:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Fabulous but we KNEW you'd have a fab time!
Yes, more, please..especially about those juicy oranges. I want citrus NOW!

June 25, 2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I like it when you gush, DA. But stop bogarting the snacks.

Blessed indeed, Rosie. And back atcha.

Why, thank you, Sage. I envy you your oranges. I do know what you mean about the home-grown produce, though. I can't even tell you how old I was before we had to start buying our own apples and pears.

Twas, Anne.

"It was fun,"...yep, 3 words, Anonyba.

Those pictures don't even do him justice, JP. Most. Adorable. Boy-child. Ever. And Sling's way, way cute.

Big fat hugs to you, LK's Mom. You were so awesome to us and it was so much fun. Don't worry. We'll be back. Oh, and tell the Schwann's guy we said 'hi'.

Plenty more to come, Mom. Hope you're still loving it by the time I wrap it up. Which looks to be 'round the middle of October.

MHP, I'm so lucky...the Chicago crew last year, the CA gang this...best blog buddies in the world.

Si, Lost. Salsa?

Greeny, it was pretty much destined to be great. But isn't it nice when reality meets and exceeds expectations?

June 27, 2008 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home