Monday, June 09, 2008

A Few Things I Forgot to Mention

I'm going to be a great aunt. ("Or not so great," says The Spouse). My eldest niece, who's been married for a couple of years now, is popping out the 4th generation this fall. At her birth she was the first grandbaby on either side and now she's about to repeat the trick. Isn't that something?

Needless to say, we are all very excited.



I joined Facebook. Generally speaking, blogging is about all the "social networking" I need. I never use my Myspace account, especially since one of the 2 nieces for whom I joined in the first place deleted her account. (She's all graduated now and doing her student teaching. Some of her kids found her Myspace page and she decided to dump it. Not that there was anything remotely incriminating on it but still). A friend from church invited me to "be her friend" and I thought "what the hey hey" and then, of course, it turns out that there are a bunch of blog buddies who have Facebook accounts and then I found my college room-mate and then some other friends from church found me and then I forced The Neighbor to join and, well, you can imagine the mayhem. I like Facebook better than Myspace because it's way more straightforward, plus it has all sorts of fun and random groups (like "Jamie Bamber is the Hottest Actor You Don't Know" and "I Flip My Pillow Over to Get to the Cold Side" and "No, I Don't Care If I Die at 12AM, I Refuse to Pass on Your Chain Letter" and "I Love Mr. Darcy enough to make Jane Austen Uncomfortable"...groups that speak to my heart and deepest held values. Sfoofie encouraged me to find the most random groups I could and we all do well to heed Sfoofie's advice).

My favorite thing about Facebook, though, is the Superpoke option. There are all these crazy little things you can do to your "friends", like send them beers or bake them a cake or pinch them. On Tuesday and Wednesday we were all throwing Obama and donkeys at each other. It's fun.

Who said "get a life"? Trouble maker.

"Why did you get a Facebook page?" asked The Child.

"Because your mom is a 14 year old," sneered The Spouse. This from a man who has a Myspace page. Pft to him and again I say "pft". If Facebook is cool enough for John Iwanski, Dan Winter and Miss Healthypants, it's cool enough for me.

Anybuddies, if your on Facebook go find me. I'll totally be your friend. And then I'll throw the Stanley Cup at you.



Yesterday was the baccalaureate Mass for The Child's graduating class. The Spouse and I don't much enjoy liturgies at St. G's. We're pretty much high church people and not giant fans of guitar masses with songs we've never heard of that all sound the same. Plus, the priest there has a tendency to go on and on, being one of those folks who never says anything once if he can say it 6 different ways. Double plus, they crammed all sorts of stuff into the service...renewal of vows for a couple who'd been married 40 years (God bless 'em) and a tribute to the teachers who are moving on, not to mention that when it came time for announcements Father pretty much read out every blessed thing in the bulletin. Hi, that's why you have a bulletin, so you don't have to do that. Then when he was done with that he was asking who was celebrating an anniversary, a birthday AND who was visiting for the first time. I half expected him to ask, "Now let's see a show of hands...who had oatmeal for breakfast this morning?" It was a bit much.

But all that aside, it was a moment for us and The Child. I got varklempt when they processed in, wearing their gowns. The Spouse got all choked up when she went up for Eucharist. And we were both very proud during the Liturgy of the Word, because she'd been asked to do the Prayers of the Faithful. She wrote them herself. Would you like to know what her prayers were? 'Course you would:

For Archbishop Brunett and Auxiliary bishops Esabio and Tyson, that they may lead the church responsibly.

For the victims of the earthquake in China and the cyclone in Myanmar, that they will be able to recover and rebuild.

For the conflicts in our world, especially in Iraq, that there will be peace and our troops can come home safely.

For the teachers of our school, those leaving, those staying and those coming in, that they will be blessed and have a great experience.

For the graduating class of 2008, that they will know God's love and care as they move on to bigger and better things.

How adorable are those? How adorable is she? (Even though, at the moment, she thinks I'm more irritating than she's possibly ever thought I was before).


It's totally raining and nasty here today, pretty much like it's been most of the month so far. Somehow I must capitalize on the random sun breaks to turn my garden beds and install the tomato and basil plants I bought this weekend. It doesn't look like this is going to be a good summer for tomatoes but hope springs eternal.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger sfoofie opined...

I adored The Child's intentions. Gratz all around! What an amazing week you had - and its about to get even cooler. Welcome to facebook and thanks kindly for heeding my advice. I really do flip my pillow over to the cold side... goes to join that group... and trout slap you!

June 09, 2008 9:25 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Congrats to the niece

Congrats to the Child

Rain... what's that?

June 09, 2008 9:31 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I thought I was the only person in world who flipped pillows to the cool side.

Guitar Masses and the Gather songbook are the work of the devil and should be banished forever.

June 09, 2008 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You are going to collapse into a fit of emotional spasms when she graduates High School. And I dare not even THINK about what sort of puddle you'll become when she graduates college.
Hi! Pick me up at the airport at noon tomorrow. Bring coffee.

June 09, 2008 9:46 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

(gives Sfoof a roundhouse kick then throws something at her) Thanks, doll.

Shut up, Twisi. No one wants your "oooh, it's all sunny and I'm all tanned because I live in Florida and I'm all that" nonesense today. (flings mud)

Buck, you have no idea how not alone you are in that. And amen!

Hat, what, and you're going to remain calm, cool and collected? Pft. I say we start a pool to see who goes misty first. Also, done and done. I can't wait!

June 09, 2008 10:45 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh The Child is sweet with her prayers. Except she totally forgot about me.

I have a myspace that I rarely use, it says I am 251 years old 231 years too old to have a myspace. Whatev...maybe I will go to facebook.

June 09, 2008 10:46 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Shut up, Twisi. No one wants your "oooh, it's all sunny and I'm all tanned because I live in Florida and I'm all that" nonesense today. (flings mud)

well, that wasn't my intent... the intent was we are in a massive drought, forest fires, crops drying up and could use the rain... guess you didn't read it that way!

June 09, 2008 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Congratulations to you, yours and the child.

Glad you have a facebook account.

Uhhh, do you have to have a facebook thingy to view other peoples facebook thingy or account which sounds all monetary and such. Shouldnt it be like a profile or maybe portfolio or perhaps chapter. Oh well, do I need one? Won't get it even if I do. Im just not that warm and fuzzy anymore.

Probably a sympton of our long winter.

Grats again on the graduatiion!

Peace

:+}

June 09, 2008 2:25 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

1. You are never too old for such things, as long as you aren't yelling at kids to get off your lawn (and yes, I'm on Facebook too).
2. Your Child rocked the Liturgy of the Word (can one say that?). Three Hip Hip Hello Dollies for her!
3. I am so bummed about the weather and the havoc it has caused to my baby tomato plants and cucumbers. I say Pfft to this late Spring weather.

June 09, 2008 4:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

She didn't forget, Sage. I made her cut out all the personal ones that started "Bless my mom's blog buddy..."

My bad, Twisi. I will immediately put a big bucket outside and ship the contents to you directly. Or divert the rain clouds. Or something.

Thanks for the good wishes, Anonyba...even if you are all grumpatious because of the weather.

KA: 1) I just sent an invitation to you...assuming the person I found was you. There are a lot of you, which seems very weird since there is only ONE Kimberly Ann in my (face)book.

2. Yes, one can. And she did.

3. Right? My poor little plants looked at me today (from the nursery box that they are still sitting in) and were all, "Hello? Ever heard of a hot house?"

June 09, 2008 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Its now officially the coldest first week of June ever here in Seattle. At least since we started keeping them in 1894.

Peace

:+}

June 09, 2008 5:35 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Congrats on soon being a great aunt, Rainey! *smiles*

I also adored the Child's intentions--they were marvelously written! :)

And of course, I love Facebook--especially Superpokin'. I loves me some Superpoking! :)

June 09, 2008 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Congrats to your niece and my niece. Does this make me related to your niece? I get confused.

I am fighting the facebook. I already have a neglected myspace that wants to report me.

June 09, 2008 7:14 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

The Child is the sweetest! I have a preschool graduation to attend next week & I plan on hiding my tears behind the camera.

I'll try to find you on Facebook ;)

June 09, 2008 8:28 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Those prayers were excellent! I can just hear Father D's voice saying that some parishioners who've been writing prayers for years wouldn't have been able to come up with such focussed, succinct statements. Mr English teacher says: A*.

June 10, 2008 4:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Loved the Child's prayers. I would be quite proud if I were you (if that's allowed).

I certainly would send you some of my 10 million sweet basil plant starts to save you from buying them. They are my favorite herb followed closely by cilantro.

June 10, 2008 6:12 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP, you pretty much are the Super in Super Poke. Seriously, finding you guys on there was like walking into a party you were dreading only to see a knot of happy, familiar faces over in the corner.

Yes, Poodle, related to one, related to all. And Facebook is way more user friendly (I think) than Myspace. AND it doesn't seem to have a feature for organizing your friends so there's none of that "top friends" crap or whatever it is that Myspace has.

Leah, you know what will get me? If they actually play "Pomp and Circumstance" for the procession. I. Will. Lose. It.

And huzzah for bloggy Facebook friends!

DA, I'll be sure to let her know. Right now compliments from others have way more power than anything I say. Also, is that A transferrable for credit overseas? You know, in case she wants to do a study abroad program?

10 million, Greeny? Oh, man that's a lot of pesto. I love basil, too, (and cilantro) and never seem to try starting it from seed. Maybe because the spring/early summer here IS so dicey...with some things it's just a safer bet to get a start than to try it yourself. Well, that and the one time that I did start plants indoors I had so many freaking starts I didn't know what to do with them all.

Kiss your basil babies for me.

(And yes, I am proud. Quite).

June 10, 2008 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home