Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just Stopping In for a Moment

I've said it before but it bears repeating, blogging is awesome. It has become so much more than a way to practise writing. The abiding and completely unexpected gift of being a blogger is all the friends I've made. The crazy thing is that to date I have met, in person, 7 blog buddies and every single one of them was exactly who I expected them to be; no artifice or fakery. And while there might have been a little nervousness in the anticipation ("will they like me as much as I know I'm going to like them?"), all that was dispelled, every single time, the second we saw each other.

Within the hour I'll have my hatty Hat here. She's become one of my bestest friends in the world, a friendship which now has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with blogging. By week's end, we will have hugged the stuffing out of Sling. Now that we've done this "meeting blog buddies" thing, we're not even nervous. Excited, yes, but not nervous. It's Sling, for crying out loud. What you see is what you get with that man and more than anything else I'm looking forward to just hanging out with him.

I first found Sling in the comments section of one of Hat's earlier bloggy incarnations. One time she wrote something about how she wished she could take her blog friends to breakfast and in our comments, Sling and I pretended we were at breakfast with her. ("Are there more hashbrowns?" "Stop bogarting the ketchup"...like that, you know, the sort of thing we do now and again). I don't know what it was and of course, that blog is gone so the whole thing can't be properly entered into evidence but that was the turning point for me. That's when I started stalking reading Sling. And then, as is the way of our people, we started emailing. And now we are going to meet.

Once upon a time JP said something to me about how even if we never met, he considered me one of his best friends. Of course, we had every intention of meeting and, in fact, have met (and eaten Cheetoes and watched "Steel Magnolias" and other stuff friends do) but I knew what he meant. Meeting is awesome, but it actually is possible to get to know and trust someone through the ethers. Of course, the fact is, once the relationship gets to a certain point, meeting is pretty much inevitable, or at least, something that gets put on a list of "Things I'd Like to Do". But the point remains. I've considered Sling a friend, a good friend, for quite some time now. The actual meeting isn't going to be that big a deal. But I still can't wait to give him a big ol' hug and sit around eating applesauce cake and playing the guitar and laughing a bunch. Because I'm pretty sure there is going to be a whole lot of laughing.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Have a safe trip and a wonderful time!

June 10, 2008 11:21 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh I hope you all have a great time. I am super jealous. But not the crazy lesbian lifetime movie jealous.

June 10, 2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Have a great trip.

I'm holding out for Summer '09.

June 10, 2008 12:22 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Sling is in for a little slice of heaven, I assure you.

Did you bring the Scrabble tiles?

June 10, 2008 12:25 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I hope we meet in person some time. I'll bring pie.

June 10, 2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Syd. Sorry we won't be coming all the way down your way but we'll try and call, 'k?

We'll be thinking of you, Sage, especially when we're dropping your name to get free coffee from your family.

Thanks, DA. Re: the Summer of '09: From your lips to God's ear.

Awww, Buck, 'member when we hugged at Midway? (That sounds like we were in the same unit in WWII. You know what I mean).

Me, too, Anne. And when we do there will be lots and lots of pie.

June 10, 2008 3:08 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Hey!..I remember that breakfast at Hat's!..
So I like a little hash browns with my ketchup,..sue me.
I think I'm equally nervous and excited.Well,maybe 49% nervous,and 51% excited..Oh!..and happy!..so it's more like 43% nervous(subtract the 9..carry the 12),and...Crap!..Where's my beer?

June 10, 2008 5:31 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Fourth of July 2007 is a time none of us will ever forget.

June 10, 2008 8:19 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, I totally eat ketchup on my hashbrowns and secretly hope some of it will get on my eggs.

Do y'all have a little breakfast place in O-town? We should totally go to breakfast.

Don't be nervous. Just put down the toilet seat and everything will be fine.

Iwanski, dude, I made you real corn dogs. How could ANYONE forget that?

June 10, 2008 11:10 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I was thinkin' Saturday morn we'd all go to 'Barb's house of waffles and 1 hour Martinizing service' for breakfast.
It's my favorite greasy spoon.

1)Buy a shirt
b)Leave toilet seat down
..this list is getting out of control!

June 11, 2008 5:57 AM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

weeeeellll, I know I leeched in on the blog world off of Iwanski. It was really nice meeting The Family though. Look at all the cool places you can go via blogworld! As I say to everyone pre-bon-voyage: Make good choices!

June 11, 2008 6:19 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Blogtopia is kind of like internet dating - only it's really internet friending. You guys have a great time. Take pictures and share a bunch of good stories.

June 11, 2008 6:27 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Have a wonderful time and please give sling a big hug for me (hat too ofcourse) Sling found me out of nowhere-- he hit next blog! he is one of the most honest,real and funny people I some day hope to meet (kind of like you!)

June 11, 2008 7:00 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Why don't you like to admit you like ketchup on your eggs?

June 11, 2008 7:35 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I would like some to act as proxxy. Or proxy. Pick yer spelling.

I would like one of the hugs. Wait. There's at least three. Three of them. I would also like one of Barb's waffles.

June 11, 2008 10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Gosh, this gives me hope for all the micorcosms of blog buddies I have in the U.S. and UK and the meetin' possibilities.
I say "buddies" because I'm positive they want to meet me as much as vice versa.

Yes, please post and add pics as is possible.
Sling, yeah, he's a dude I would buy ketchup for if I was to meeting 'em! It's the food of the gods...(yeah, I've had one to many whiskey and waters).

June 11, 2008 3:18 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I agree with Iwanski.

Fourth of July 2007 was one of the best times EVER!!!! :)

I'm so glad we met you, the Spouse, and the Child!!!! :)

June 11, 2008 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home