Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday Morning Notebook

First of all, thanks to all of you who played the "what sort o' elitist are you" game over the weekend. We're mostly a pack of book/language snobs. Like we didn't already know that. Except for Buck, who is an elite elitist. But we knew that, too.



Second of all, The Child's volleyball team was eliminated from the play-offs yesterday. After a spectacular performance in the first game, they ended up being, simply, out-classed by their opponents. They tried and they made 'em work for that last point, but in the end, it was the end.

Then I realized something. And I can tell you this because The Child doesn't read my blog and I would never, ever say this to her out loud. At least not at this point. But as sad as it was to see the season end, our girls didn't deserve to be champions. And I'll tell you why. Because they are a lousy team. Oh, sure, they've got skillz. They know the game. But they don't know how to play as a team. There are Hot Dogs and there is everyone else and the Hot Dogs saw to it that that never changed. Good Coach did what she could to mitigate the mindset but she had 3 mere months to undo the damage brought on by 3 years of Bad Coach. Under him, the Hot Dogs got arrogant, sloppy and even more hot doggie while the rest of them languished, not being allowed to develop to their full potential and, even when they all blossomed under Good Coach, were not trusted by the Hot Dogs to do their job.

Watching the team that eliminated them yesterday I thought there was complete justice in their victory. They too had skillz but where they excelled was in team work. Everyone was important, everyone was trusted, everyone did their job. They talked to each other, encouraged each other and generally worked together as a formidable unit. That's how you win games.

Then I realized that's why I hate the Yankees. Yeah, they win games, too, but I hate them because they are all about star power. It's about A-Rod and Jeter and all the rest of those clowns. Yankee baseball, to me, seems more about personal best than teamwork. Contrast them, if you will, with the 2001 Mariners. Did you know that in the 2000-01 season, in which they won 116 games, the cumulative batting average was only .288? The great Edgar Martinez himself batted .306 (4th time in his career he went up over .300). I'm just saying. That season was all about teamwork. Sure, individuals put up some great numbers, but it was the sweet clicking on the field that set the record. It didn't matter who a ball went to, he fielded it and sent it to whoever else he needed to to get the opposing player out. There was no showing off. Individually AND collectively, each guy did his best. And it was a joy to watch.

Anyspike, that's that and I for one will be glad to have our weekends back. Theoretically, anyway.



In other gripping news, I posted something on my food blog. Those of you yearning for bread and butter pudding will be pleased. I've really let that beautiful little site languish so I've committed to posting there, at a minimum, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. In case you care.



It's Passover and man, are we having the weather to prove it. We had hail storms all weekend (at least it wasn't burning). I keep waiting for the locusts and am thinking of slopping some lamb blood over the door posts and lintels just to be on the safe side. It's been insane. We went from a 78° day last Saturday to near freezing temperatures and hail stones this weekend. Someone in God's weather department didn't get the memo that it's spring.

Sheesh.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

I don't like the yankees, either.

i hear ya about the team thing and regained weekends. skating season is over too!

April 21, 2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

oh dear too bad about the girls volleyball team. The young hotdogs usually end up being the worse players as the non hotdogs mature. They miss out on learning about team work and other skillz.
I know because I was 5 foot 8 in fifth grade...I was the hot dog..then the other girls got taller and better. I never grew anymore...well up anyways.

April 21, 2008 11:04 AM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

Oh yes, I agree. I love teams that play as a team. It is one of the finest aspects of sportsmanship. Have a good week, I look forward to new dishes posts!

April 21, 2008 11:05 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

The term "team work" still causes feelings of revulsion in me; you know, gym class and all. . .

April 21, 2008 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That 2001 season was the last time I cared about baseball and yes, it was solely due to the Mariners awesomeness. And now I must away to see this weekend post of which you speak.

April 21, 2008 1:05 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Sorry The Child about the loss but your point about teamwork is well made.

I am so heading over to get me some bread and butter pudding - I was going to start nagging the way I did about the celery but that got me such a tongue lashing...

April 21, 2008 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That Passover thing with the first born son scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Plus, my dad refused to mark the door with blood. It's amazing I survived.

April 21, 2008 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

In the last 2 weekends we got 5 free cloth shopping bags. 3 yesterday at the health expo.

The Yankees Stienbrenner is a gangster and should be arrested.

Peace

:+}

April 21, 2008 6:03 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I concur, teamwork is what it's all about.

And I also concur that Buck is an elite elitist (i.e. snob). *hee hee*

I will be sure to check out the recipe for bread and butter puddin'.

April 21, 2008 7:04 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

This country is in desperate need of another Mickey Mantle..seriously.
I have no favorite ball team,only those teams that my blogpals are atttached to.
..I can see the vendors tossing bread and butter pudding cups to the fans at Chavez Ravine,even now.

April 21, 2008 7:33 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

Wow-we went from Snow to 90 degree weather in just a few days.
Do you think Ketchup will pass for Lamb's blood?

April 22, 2008 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home