Friday, April 18, 2008

Out and About

The weather was beautiful on Saturday. Temperatures got up to 78°, which after a spring of rainy-freezy was a very pleasant surprise. It was still warm when The Spouse and I went to the CD release party and it was so fun to see the streets full of people. The air was soft and warm so all the clubs and restaurants had outdoor seating and every joint was jumping. It felt like jazz sounds.

It's been a long time since I was downtown of an evening. We really don't go out all that much anymore (probably should work on that), probably because it's just not as convenient. We used to live downtown, within crawling distance of all sorts of night life and we took advantage of that. But now, even though there is a charming and vibrant little neighborhood called Columbia City just down the street, we tend to be homebodies.

But both of us love urban space and when we were walking around on Saturday night we talked again about a long-term plan to one day buy a condo downtown. (What we really want is a condo downtown here and one in Chicago). There is something incredible about living in downtown. The lights, the people, all the variety of eateries and entertainments. Not to mention the expedience. Once, when we were still in the apartment, I dropped the coffee carafe before I'd poured my first cup. I just put on shoes, tossed The Child in her stroller and went down to the Bon Marche, bought a new one and was home, brewing more coffee within 20 minutes. You gotta love that.

There was something rather magical about being out in the city the other night. I needed that. Sometimes I take Seattle for granted. It was good to fall in love with her again.

This video is from a Top of the Pops performance. It's worth it just for the dancers, who will likely crack you up, not to mention the classic performance. I loved this song when I was a kid. Still do.



Petula Clark "Downtown"

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

We want you in Chicago, too.

Good Lord. I was thinking of Petula while I was reading your blog and, of course, you chose that song.

I loved this song as a kid, too. Of course, my idea of Downtown back then was the square in my little bitty home town.

Hardly Petula-worthy.

April 18, 2008 12:21 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

awwww, you make me want to move back to berzerkeley! downtown living is so much fun.

April 18, 2008 12:33 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Damn!
Now I can't get that song out of my head!

April 18, 2008 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh but it's such a good song to have stuck in your head. Sort of forces one to beebop around the room.

April 18, 2008 2:00 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I always think of the Mad Magazine version
"When You eat meat but you hate the meat that your eating, then you've got..Ground Round"
"Stand on your table, stand onyour chair and shout, GROUND ROUND, There on my plate I see, GROUND ROUND, waiting for me to eat, Ground round..."

April 18, 2008 2:48 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

Ok, I like the song a lot, but it gets stuck in my head. Good thing you posted a twofer to get it out of my head! happy weekend! thanks for your comments

April 18, 2008 3:21 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

"...just listen to the music of the traffic in the city.." yup its going to be in my head the rest of the day. :)

April 18, 2008 3:22 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Very cute and poppy! Love it.

April 18, 2008 3:45 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I have Petula Clark's autograph...on the back of a 3x5 note card with a drug calculation on the other side...she was at LAX, I was at LAX...I asked, she was lovely and gave.

April 18, 2008 3:58 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

MHP and I always talk about how we may leave downtown for a few years if we's rearin' a critter, but the minute that little f***er goes off to college or moves out, we're moving back downtown.

April 18, 2008 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh, we luvs our Petula!

April 18, 2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Yeah, really looking forward to "rearin' a critter"! Yee-haw! :)

But I know what you mean, Rainey--I never want to leave downtown Chi-town!!

April 18, 2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

But look where you are now, Buck. Pet would be proud.

Ain't it just, Danny?

Sorry, Buck. I had a feeling that would happen. Shoulda put a warning label on the package.

Hat, right?

You would, honey, you would.

Any time, Sfoof.

Sorry, Lost. I guess it coulda been worse. I coulda played Journey.

It's before your time, Sage. (tee)

(falls to knees and bows in direction of Idaho)

Iwanski, it's like I told ya...your place is plenty big enough for the first 3 years. Then you make your little suburban sojourn if you absolutely have to...although I swear, if we'd had a bigger apartment (say, with another bedroom) I don't know that we would have ever left downtown.

MHP, and the world will thank you...it needs more Iwanskis.

April 18, 2008 8:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Syd, what are you doing hiding back there between the Iwanskis? Come over here and get some pie.

April 18, 2008 8:10 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

I LOVE downtown (In the spring, summer, autumn only!)

I get a creepy feeling whenever I hear this song ever since it was in LOST. ick.

April 19, 2008 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home