Thursday, February 14, 2008

Oh. Right. It's Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day is the Hallmarkiest of all Hallmark holidays, which is to say that it's not that big a deal around here. Sometimes The Spouse and I go out, sometimes we have a special dinner at home. Sometimes it's all but ignored. Tonight, for example, we're going to be eating turkey cutlets with The Child and watching the rest of "King Kong". Romantic, right?

The thing is, I would much prefer to have a husband who does little charming, romantic things throughout the year rather than one who pulls off the annual grand gesture because "he's supposed to" and ignores me the rest of the time. And since I have the former, I am content.

Love is a precious thing and I'm thankful to have found someone with whom I've been blessed to share 17 years. Pausing to reflect on that gift is a good thing, but we don't need a special day to do it.

That said, one of the things we share is a love of film. Some couples have "their song". We kinda do, too. But what we absolutely have is "our movies". "Moulin Rouge" is one of 'em and this song is one of our favorites.

Happy Valentine's Day, Pookie. I love you. I'm glad you're my first husband.



Ewan McGregor & Nicole Kidman "Come What May"

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

You made me spit my coffee out at the "I am glad you are my first husband". Very cute. You are celebrating the right way...King Kong is very romantic. Sorta.

February 14, 2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Love you too Pookie

If anyone wants to see a clip of what a typical evening is I have posted it on my blog

February 14, 2008 9:56 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I'm all misty-eyed. I can just see you two singing this to each other. In fact, I think I've seen/heard it about a million times now. And I consider myself lucky to be part of your life together.

Now, will go check the typical evening clip on E's blog...scamper scamper...

February 14, 2008 11:33 AM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

aww! that's so awesome that "your" movie is moulin rouge. i love what baz lurhmann was able to do with the remake, musically and cinematically.

i wish my sig-other could see the romance of that movie, but he too at least shows me his romantic side with sweet gestures throughout the year, like when he patiently watches moulin rouge with me because i'm in the mood.
;-}

February 14, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Screw American Idol.
You & Eric are my idols. You're the winners of Iwanski Idol.

February 14, 2008 12:07 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

My mom, for years, and still does for that matter, calls my dad her first husband, as in, "Anne is my first husband's daughter." Thanks Mom.

February 14, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Oh, and my first husband agrees with you on this being a hallmark holiday. I didn't even buy a card this year for him.

Dinner? maybe. I might scrounge a pb&j.

February 14, 2008 1:36 PM  
Blogger Tweetums opined...

I agree. I too am blessed with a year round thoughtful husband not just a V. Day one. Love the song too. Ooooo the thrills and chills!

February 14, 2008 3:56 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

"I'm glad you are my first husband"..
CLASSIC!
Oh!..My favorite part in King Kong is when he reaches down and flips blondie onto his shoulder in that,"shut up and get in the truck' sorta way...That's romance right there.

February 14, 2008 5:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sageweb, bill the new keyboard to moi. I'll have my second husband, Steve Martin, pay for it.

And King Kong really is kinda romantic, isn't it? Never seen any version of it before and yeah, it was appropriate.

Muuuah, hubby. Now go remove that webcam.

SCG: Muuuah to you, too.

Danny, let's all watch it together sometime...you should see The Spouse and I when "Elephant Love Medley" comes on. Crazy.

That's damned sweet of you, Iwanski. Happy VD to you and MHP.

I like your mom, Anne. And your husband. And you.

Tweetums! Thanks for stoppin' by. That hubby of yours, well, he's a keeper. But we knew that.

Sling, you don't know how many times your "get in the truck" line ran through my head tonight...

February 14, 2008 8:36 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Happy VD?

Ha!

That's some festive gonorrhea you got there.

February 15, 2008 4:40 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

i remember when you sang that to eachother.... donw by the creek... or was it the Love Medley..... i don't recall. it was from Moulin Rouge and it was a definite SHOW!

February 21, 2008 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home