Thursday, February 07, 2008

Moving Pictures

I want to write a review of "Juno", partly because it's been so long since I actually saw a film in a theater that didn't involve wizards or CGI characters. But since it's been so long, I find myself completely out of practise with the whole "reviewing" thing so I honestly don't know where this is going to go.

Directed by Jason ("Thank You for Smoking") Reitman, "Juno" is obstensibly about an "offbeat teen" who gets pregnant. First of all, I don't think "offbeat" is at all a fair characterization (that was IMDb, not me). Juno MacGuff is a smart kid and a smart ass. She is into punk music and chews on a pipe (in which there is nothing). Her best girlfriend is a cheerleader, she talks on a hamburger phone, she dresses kinda grunge and plays in a band. There is a jock who teases her, but she claims that's out of desire and longing (which is totally true, btw). She isn't offbeat. She strikes me as Everyteen. Which is probably too much to put on her, given the point of the movie. Juno is a totally likable if sometimes disconcerting character. Anyscrew, one day, pretty much out of boredom, she has sex with a friend and gets pregnant and therein lies our story.

What writer Diablo Cody has done is create a morality tale that isn't about (cue the big, giant air quotes) "morality". "Juno" never once seems heavy handed or preachy and generally succeeds in avoiding every pitfall, stereotype or sermon that would be slapping you in the face in lesser hands.

Juno isn't thrilled about being pregnant, of course. She is convincingly nervous when sharing the news with her parents Mac, played by JK Simmons (you know him as the editor in "Spiderman") and Bren, played by Allison Janney (who you remember as the greatest press secretary in our nation's history). Actually, Bren is Juno's step-mom but she's been in the family for 10 years and is more a mother to her than her actual mom, who abandoned her young and sends her a cactus every year "and not even on my birthday".

The relationship between Juno and her folks isn't a typical adversarial one. She gets along fine with her folks. Sometimes she and Bren mix it up but not in any hysterical way. And when she tells them the news they are shocked and surprised and then rally. Red told me that this was a criticism of the film...that the parents didn't freak out and chastise her mightily and then disown her. I think it is one of the beauties of the film...a child in trouble going to her parents, the parents being supportive? Hey, there's a concept for you. Of course they are unhappy about the "diddle that can't be undid", but what the hell else are they supposed to do?

Of course, by the time she has told her parents she has also ruled out Option A and that too was handled soooo well. Juno is matter-of-fact about getting an abortion. She's unperturbed when confronted by a picketer at the clinic, who happens to be a classmate. She's more freaked out by the punk receptionist sitting inside behind bullet-proof class. When she decides not to go through with the procedure it's not so much that she's making a grand moral decision about abortion in general. She just can't do it herself. Very truthful bit of writing there.

So there she is, 16 and pregnant. The father is a friend, who obviously loves her, but she is oblivious on that point and treats him and the situation with what I can only describe as detachment. She'll have this baby, give it up and get on with her life.

She finds adoptive parents, played by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman...perfect, beautiful people who live a perfect, elegant life in a cookie-cutter community of perfect houses. You're set up right away to see Garner's character as a little too perfect and uptight, but as the story unfolds you are reminded that things are not always what they seem. Garner is terrific, doing more with her face and gestures to reveal the depths of her character than many actresses can convey with pages of dialogue. And Bateman is good, too, as the prospective dad who has his own stuff going on.

Michael Cera plays Paulie Bleeker, Juno's friend and the father of the baby. If you loved him as George Michael Bluth in "Arrested Development", you'll love him in "Juno". He plays a very similar character - good hearted, confused and always saying less than you know he thinks or feels.

But the star of the show is Ellen Page as Juno and there's a reason she was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar. The kid has chops. She plays Juno as real and funny and entirely too self-assured. (She also has one of the coolest looking mouths in show business). As the story unfolds Juno comes to understand her own limitations and fragility and Page plays this with an authenticity that is mesmerizing. I loved her.
The movie is funny and honest. It tackles a big subject without overwhelming you. The language in the film is frank, especially if you are sitting next to your 14 year old daughter, but given that teenagers probably really talk like that, you cope. It's not super foul or anything, don't get me wrong. But let's just say that when the conversation turns to sex and genitalia the language isn't coming out of a sex-ed handbook.

The film is not without emotion. I was wiping away tears more than once but it was honest emotion, not manipulative. You care about Juno and you worry about her choices and you sit there for 96 minutes hoping fervently that it really is all going to work out the way you want it to work out.

And that's all I can say about it without spoilers. Which I hate. Go see it. It's a little film. It's not like you have to see it on a big screen. But it's totally worth it.
The Film Czarina gives "Juno" 4 out of 5 Koiheads




The soundtrack for "Juno" is killer. Lots of interesting post-punk-goes-folk stuff by bands I'd never heard of. One of the things that Bateman's character shares with Juno is a love of music and it's amusing as they try to "educate" each other about musical styles. Music is a big part of this film, which is why I have selected one of the songs from the soundtrack for today's Friday Jukebox. (See how I did that? Clever, huh?) And no. If you've seen the film I'm not about to play the song you think I'm going to play, although "Anyone Else But You" by the Moldy Peaches is used to excellent effect and I liked it very much. But there are classics and then there are classics.




Mott the Hoople "All the Young Dudes"

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm going to see this after I caucus on Saturday. Your mad reviewing skillz make you a shoe-in to replace Roger Ebert someday. Two spatulas way up for Juno.

February 08, 2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

ok, so i am going to the theater. thanks!

February 08, 2008 8:46 AM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic opined...

Great review ... I'm rooting super hard for young Ms. Page to win an Oscar, but I have a sneaking suspicion that will go to either Marion Cotillard or Julie Christie (for roles in two movies I haven't even seen) ... I would also have loved to see J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney get supporting nominations, but I guess that would be too much to ask for

February 08, 2008 10:38 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

It really was an excellent film. Miss Thing and I went to see it, as the boys had no interest. It was beautifully done, realistic and I found it in no way "preachy"- the main character did what she felt she had to do and it was in no way a moral indictment one way or another. Stuff happens. *I can't cuss on the Cuz's blog, she's the nice one in the family*

But the most brilliant thing (as a Mom person) was that on the way home MT says "You know how you have always told me that before I get the idea into my head, come to you first so I'm protected? Well even if I didn't Mom, it would be cool, right?" Yep, it would kiddo.. I'll always be there to take care of you no matter what happens.

Nice for a change to see parents portrayed as non-evil creatures, not cartoons- but people that love their kid and are grounded in reality. Seems like the stock parental character is either the uptight right wing nutball or the hippie dippy spawn of a love child or an abusive monster..

February 08, 2008 10:54 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I love the Beatles with long hair.

Thank you for another one of your superb reviews. A friend of mine hated it for the reason you mentioned and, of course, once you're alerted to the possibility that the dialogue's very contrived and studied and all those words, it's hard to get enthused. But you re-enthused me. Yay!

Thanks.

February 08, 2008 12:07 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

i'll have to wait 'til this comes out on cable. i am surrounded by testosterone-imbalanced men who don't find the the story of a young girl getting pregnant worthy of their attention. poignancy is beyond them. damnit!

hm, maybe i can watch it with kendall?

anyway, yay for mott the hoople!

February 08, 2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You know how there are actors that bring
the common touch?..You know,that stuff we all inherently recognize,but can't quite put into words?
Jimmy Stewart,Tom Hanks,Meg Ryan.
Young Ms. Page is like that.
I haven't seen this movie,but I have seen her in previous film.
I'm guessin' Oscar.

February 08, 2008 9:15 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

not being "au courant" - have the wingnuts and asshats from the Relgious Right been boycotting Juno. It sounds like the sort of movie that would have them seething in self-rightous indignation. And sounds like a damn good piece of film making too!

February 09, 2008 12:09 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

you know i loved this movie right? as soon as it was over i went home to listen to all of the music from the soundtrack that i already owned. the whole time it was on i kept going "oh my god!" when i heard a song i knew and loved, which was almost every few minutes. i was a little creeped out by how much juno chose her clothing directly out of my closet but the final mark of my approval was that i was jealous that i didn't write it. i only had one problem with the film but i won't mention because it makes me look like the comic book guy from the simpsons...

February 09, 2008 12:27 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

one last thing: my favorite song from the soundtrack was "all i want is you" by barry louis polisar. it was the song form the opening credits. i know, it's shock considering sonic youth, belle and sebastian, and the moldy peaches were there... i'm gona stfu now. sorry :)

February 09, 2008 12:30 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Wasn't it a great movie?

And Willym: strangely enough, both pro-choice and anti-abortion groups seem to LOVE this movie. I think if you're pre-disposed toward choice, you're happy to see Juno exercise the choice that's best for her, and if you are pre-disposed against abortion, you're happy she didn't get one.

The beauty part is that I don't think Ms. Cody meant it to be a stand either pro or anti; she had bigger fish to fry.

February 09, 2008 9:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Awww, thanks KA. I hope you enjoy the film.

Let me know if you like it, Twisi. (You'll like it, but still).

Thanks, Reel Fanatic, that means a lot coming from you. (I had to wait to read your review before I wrote mine because, well, shuh). I'd love to see her get the Oscar too, but it usually is an age before youth thing in that regard.

I think that's one of the best things about the film, Doralong...it's ability to open up that sort of dialogue with our kids. I thank them for that.

Go see it and make up your own mind, Booda. It's really a lovely little film.

You need new friends, Danny.

I think you're right about the "common touch" thing, Sling. I'm now going to Netflix all her previous work. Love. Her.

Willym, I see Red has addressed your question. But it certainly is a fine piece of film-making.

Monica, I was thinking of you during the film for some reason. Now I know why. You have to email me your one quibble.

Red, yep, it sure was. (And thanks for taking care of Willym).

February 09, 2008 10:08 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

I had to wait until "now" because I just saw the movie. As I read your review I would like to mention a few things.

1. I have a young lady in my sunday school class who I will now always call Juno--- they may have stolen the spunk from my student-- although my student draws instead of having sex when she had nothing else to do. There are more kids like "this" out there than people know.

2. Michael Cira is perfect in this roll and I think he will have something to offer as he gets older and better rolls.

3. I so want to watch this with my kids! Not just my kids, but with kids I teach in Sunday School.

I really liked this-- but i would love to hear more about what The Child thought.

February 09, 2008 5:45 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Oh... danny.. there was a group of 4 men in front of me watching this.. the walked out saying ya... we just saw rambo !

February 09, 2008 5:47 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Excellent review! Another talent you have.

I saw this in Austin the week it came out. "I'm on a hamburger phone!"
Loved. It!

February 10, 2008 6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (note no W)

Ya i liked your review of project runway this week

I c y u like Sweet P and despised Ricky

I like Swetie 2

February 10, 2008 12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh. My. God. I really honestly forgot I was reading your blog and got into this review as it was professionally done. I am serious. I am amazed.
Ok, done with my gushing.

The movie is a have-to-see. My daughter and I both have plans. I have wanted to see it even before I saw it was directed by Mr. Reitman. He was profiled on "Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood" yesterday and I loved it.

Very nice Lorraine.

February 11, 2008 5:48 AM  
Blogger Drama Momma opined...

Sad. I just watched the Academy and she didn't win. I thought she was Amazing! I loved the film and thought it was authentic a fresh film fealing with an uncomfortable topic.


Ellen Page has my vote and I will be watching and hoping for more from her, and more from new writers in Hollywood. I LOVED the writing on this Cody rocked!

February 24, 2008 8:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Drama Mama, gotta love that the film won Best Original Screenplay. That's some serious consolation. And I just saw Ms. Page with Baba Wawa saying that she didn't think she deserved the Oscar against the competition. Which was so wholesome and sweet and perfect of her...yeah, we're so going to be seeing more of her. She'll have her day but that takes nothing away from the perfection of this role.

February 24, 2008 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home