Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm Super, Thanks for Asking

Man, did you see that game last night? It was awesome! Back and forth, up and down the field...absolutely my favorite kind of competition. That's right, sports fans; it's the day after Super Tuesday and we still don't know who the winner is!

Here are the results that we don't have to get all giggly about:
Obama - Illinois
Clinton - New York and Arkansas
McCain - Arizona
Romney - Utah & Massachusettes (Hey, thank God for Utah, huh, Mitt?)

Those are all "big duhs".

Moving on.

On the GOP side, that "true conservative" schtick of Romney's isn't playing. Because in the places where "true conservativism" was an issue, the people voted for Huckabee. In the more populous areas, the cities and the 'burbs, it was McCain all the way. You gotta think that McCain wanted to give Huckabee a big fat kiss on the mouth last night after his showing in the south. Huckabee's wins, coupled with McCain's victories elsewhere, leave Ol' Magic Underwear Moneybags out of it. Sure, he has the bucks to keep playing and there are still prizes to be had but with 256 delegates to McCain's 542? Geez, the Huckster already has 166 delegates. Romney could stay in it because he has the money to do so. But he'll have to run the table from here on out to be viable and I don't see that happening.

By all accounts, the GOP is a "fractured" party at present. The fact that McCain is emerging as their front runner says a lot about a desire on their part to feel good about being Republican again. Because really, as bad as it feels, in general, to be an American, being a Republican has got to feel worse. (Don't pile on my generosity with the hatin' people...time to heal, time to heal).

John McCain is a Growly Teddybear. He can be soft and jowly and look adoringly toward the wife and kids. He can be tough. That's what they need over there on the other side of the aisle. My notes for the campaign? Give him a little more time working with the teleprompter. Makes him look shifty the way he's eyes have to dart back and forth. Especially key here coming into the general because either Obama or Clinton are completely capable of going off page and keeping it real. That will be important later.

I did have a thought last night, looking at the GOP results. Where McCain is weak within his own party is with the evangelicals. I for one have totally appreciated the fact that he hasn't felt compelled to suck up to them in order to get them on board. (That's Karl Rove's play book and I love that McCain is thus far leaving it on the shelf; assuming it's even in the house). But, since conventional wisdom says you want to "balance" the ticket, who better for McCain's running mate than Huckabee? He brings the fundagelical cred (and, by all appearances) the South with him.

(Ah, but there's method in my madness: Huckabee brings McCain the fundagelicals. I think it would also cost him the independents).

Just a thought.

Over on the Democratic side, well, it's just more of the same....Obama had big wins, Clinton had big wins. There were contests that were super close. There were contests where one of them won the popular vote but the other actually came away with one or two more delegates. In fact, as to pledged delegates, Clinton only has 6 more than Obama. (It's super delegates who give her a more commanding edge at this point).

So what was happening last night? You mean, besides history being made? Well, let's see. Obama did very well in places that pundits would have predicted (likely did) he'd have trouble. The South, the midwest, the mountain states. He was racking 'em up. Clinton did well in the places you'd expect her to do well, including California. Although California is interesting, as are a few of the other states, due to a ridiculous thing called "early voting". Really? In a primary? I have no issue with early voting in general elections but given how things turn and shift during primary season, early voting seems like a good way to waste a vote. Just ask any of the folks who voted early for Edwards, Biden or Fred Thompson. It would be very interesting to know, particularly in the case of the more narrow margins, how many people voted early for Clinton but might have gone with Obama if they'd waited.

But it doesn't really matter. The kids are in it for the long haul. And I'm glad of it. A debate a week between those two? Bring it on! Let's hear the issues. The challenge for both candidates, particulary Clinton, is to keep it civil. They can highlight their few differences all they want, but they can't give the GOP any fuel for the general election. The change in tone lately signals that both campaigns get that and I hope they do.

Obama is on a roll. The longer he's in it, the more people are coming over to his side. The Edwards supporters, in particular, seem to be trending that way. That means he is poised to pick up some of the remaining plums. (Saturday, here in Washington, I'm predicting an Obama win, based solely on the fact that day-to-day I see more signs and bumper stickers for him than for her. She'll probably do well on the eastern side of the state, but I think he'll be huge here in King County and that's where the largest number of delegates are going to come from. I could be wrong. I'm fine with that).

And frankly, as I was looking last night at where he's strong and where she's strong, good sense is on the side of the two of them just pairing up for the general. Do I see either of them easily accepting the number two spot on the ticket? No. But man, what a dream team.

Pass the popcorn. The fat lady isn't even in the building yet.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

this is better than summer camp. i love this stuff and could watch it all day long.... it's HISTORY, it's exciting and it's HOPE!

did you see Obama's speech last night, honestly he gives me chills everytime i hear him. he just gets better and better.

February 06, 2008 7:58 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm lovin' this. Watching McCain's speech, I couldn't help notice how much loving he passed on to Huckabee. I'm thinking he is going to be McCain's VP choice. It makes a ton of sense, since the GOP radioheads keep making hay out of McCain not being conservative enough.
The democratic side is where the fun really is. I watched Hillary and Barack speak and as great as she was, his speech was electric. This guy thrills me. He's the real deal. Ooh this will be so exciting.

February 06, 2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Like I said, Obama is sooo on my List of Ten. He gives me goose pimples.

This is so darned exciting, I can hardly stand it.

Love the magical underwear line. Hee.

February 06, 2008 8:39 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Great run down...Super Tuesday turned out to be not so super. But it was exciting and granted I was glued to the TV watching the votes come in and the tornadoes touch down. I think you are right about Obama taking King county...probably a majority of Wa. on Saturday. I will be glued to the TV for that too. Hey if you go to a caucus do you get a sticker that says "I Caucused"?

February 06, 2008 9:08 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, right? His speech was Awe. Some. Love me that man.

Totally picked up on that, too, KA. And of course he hearts Huckabee...dude totally neutralized Romney in the south. A McCain/Huckabee ticket makes total sense.

SCG, I believe you mentioned that at Carnevale. I could listen to him all day.

Sageweb, golly, I hope so...I want an "I caucused" sticker bad.

February 06, 2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I'm not going to care until November, but the important question is: Is the Runway on tonight?

February 06, 2008 10:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Anne, it is. All is right with the world.

February 06, 2008 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Believe it or not, that right there was the first time I've seen someone utilize the "heart Huckabee" line that should've been so obvious all this time.

How could I have let that one slide by me?

February 06, 2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

We watched the results on a fuzzy screen.....I agree a HilBama or a Obainton ticket would be wonderful. We could move mountains....of snow....maybe.

February 06, 2008 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Not to nitpick, but isn't "Nitt" kind of a duh name? You never hear anyone making fun of that.

But I bet when he says something dumb, his rich pals go "Yeah, another good Nitt-witticism, Nitwit..." and when he lies they go "Tell us another yarn, Knit."

This are only my political feelings and not to be confused with a factual-type comment.

February 06, 2008 3:04 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

One of the fellas at work is singin' the blues because he voted early.
Seems his candidate has withdrawn from the race in the erstwhile.
Wasted Vote!
You know,I suggested a Clinton/Obama ticket years ago!(last tuesday),and I think the best bet is Hillary as President,Obama as VP.

February 06, 2008 6:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Paul Maurice, Nitt is a silly name. So is Mitt. He's a Nit Mitt! Bwahahaha...what were we talking about?

Sling, see? And poor ol' Lamarr Alexander or whatisnuts from Tennessee was on NPR and he'd blown his vote by sending it in early for ol' Fred. That's at least two...

Obamaton...Clintama....it's all good.

February 07, 2008 6:38 AM  
Blogger Jason Boskey opined...

I don't know that Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton would be a good ticket.

I still contend the only way the dems lose is with Hillary on the ticket. It ain't sexism, it's anti-Hillary.

February 07, 2008 8:42 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Hey, if the Giants can do it, so can Obama. Yes we can!

This primary practically has me on a high. On both sides of the house. Of late, I've felt downright gleeful. It's about damn time things turned around; let the other side stew for the next 8 years.

I would love to see our top 2 in some combination, but am doubtful it will happen. Hillary won't be the new guy's #2, and I'm not sure that she'd pick him if it's the other way. Although ... I'm thinking now that everyone's seen (thank you Super Tuesday) how hugely popular Obama is, and that it's not going to be the easy ride for Clinton she thought it would be ... she may see the wisdom of hitching him to her train. A lot of fans there, between the two of them. Then again, not sure if America is ready for THAT much "change" in the power structure. Sure would be nice ...

February 07, 2008 10:58 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bosky, I understand your concern...having had more than a smidge of it myself. But the numbers suggest that Hillary beats any of the GOP candidates hands down. I don't think her being defeated is guaranteed at all.

Cowbell, let me posit this: maybe just maybe America is more ready than we think. And if we are, we have GWB to thank for it. Yes, we do. The horror that has been his administration might just be the key factor in history being made...he pushed us to the brink and we never want to go there again.

February 07, 2008 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm partial to an Obama/Edwards ticket at this point. My concern is that the very idea of "President HRC" will fire up the Republicans enough to actually let their eventual candidate win...and I agree that McCain is looking like that eventual candidate, and he's just a tad too much a warmonger for my tastes.

February 07, 2008 10:53 PM  
Blogger Jason Boskey opined...

Lorraine,

I'm fairly progressive, and I have a harder time everyday with the idea of voting for Hillary. The latest, getting upset at MSNBC for Shuster saying the Clinton campaign is pimping out Chelsea to superdelegates, strikes me as something this administration would do.

I've seen polls that show McCain winning over Clinton. It's not a foregone conclusion. Many people who would vote for Obama will stay home or vote for McCain. The victory of the machine over the people that would be Hillary with the nomination will disenchant enough Obama supporters that they will say either Clinton or McCain will just be more of the same. I can't say I blame them.

February 08, 2008 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha HA (Please note no w's)

So I looked up the place, went and am now a delegate to the next round. I find it quite disheartening when i read your comments that the opinion is we will win. That is the same attidtude that has caused our losses in the last 2 rounds indeed picture a McCain/Huck where McCain dies and Huck is in charge.
The republicans will cheat, period.
They will win - period. Get used to it cause we will be to busy celebrating what we think is a victory just to have a few key states snatched back. We have all seen it happen. I mean have any of you really volunteered AND contributed - The Evangelicals all do. So just get used to another disaster put everything into it and maybe a miracle will happen and the dems win. Again Which is why I am a Delegate for Hillary Rodham Clinton.

February 09, 2008 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home