Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Raucous Caucus

We attended our caucus on Saturday. The Child came along because she can get extra credit for writing a report about the experience and trust, she needs the extra credit.
The joint was jumping. There was actually a pretty good turnout 4 years ago in our area but I'd say it was more than double this time. 4 years ago there were maybe 8 of us in our precinct alone. This time we had 23. I'd say there were a good 300 people in total attendance, with something like 6 or 8 precincts all gathered in the same place.
It was just plain fun when we first got there. Lots of people, a buzz of energy. There were a lot more people of color than last time, a lot more young people. We were sitting with some friends; The Spouse and I were sporting Obama 08 stickers and our friend was wearing an "Obama...it's how I roll" t-shirt. (Gotta get me one of those). A young woman came up and asked us why we were supporting Obama and told her. She started questioning certain things and she and I ended up in a spirited but decidedly respectful debate of Hillary v. Barack. Democracy in action, people. I ended the conversation by telling her that I sincerely hoped she wound up as a delegate for Clinton because she certainly knew her girl.

Then it was time for the actual caucus. We gathered by precinct and signed in, noting our candidate preference. The first tally had us with 17 for Obama, 4 for Clinton and one undecided. The undecided happened to be our precinct chair. So she asked people to speak to why they supported their particular candidate.

One guy said he was a doctor and was supporting Clinton largely because of her knowledge of the health care issue and what he trusts as her ability to get the job done relative to universal health care. Another guy, ever so respectfully asked, "Do you see the fact that she's taking money from the health care and insurance lobbies as an impediment to fulfilling what she says she wants to do?"

(That kinda took the supporter aback and he didn't have a ready reply but still, that's how this thing works).

Another Clinton supporter spoke and then the conversation went like this:

"I have waited all my life to see a woman president and have been active in women's rights issues for 30 years. I love Hillary Clinton and think she'd make a fine president. I'm supporting Barack Obama because...."

"I like Hillary Clinton. I like Barack Obama, too, but I just didn't see him as viable. As the process has gone on though, I realize he can get the votes and so I'm supporting him because...."

"I was an Edwards supporter because.....but when he dropped out of the race it took me 30 seconds to decide that I'd support Obama because...."

And on and on. Young. Old. Black. White. Men. Women. People with years of involvement in the process, people just getting the hang of it. Overwhelming support for Obama. We concluded and our chair said, "Well, you helped me make up my mind" and she came over to Obama. That was the sum total of debate in our precinct and it was interesting. 4 years ago we all sat around, very few participants being thoroughly jazzed or commited to any of the candidates. Then there was more back and forth because we needed to be excited about a candidate but few of us were. This time the passion and enthusiasm was palpable.

We had one more Obama supporter show up right before the voting cut off so our final tally was 4 Clinton, 19 Obama. Our precinct was allotted 4 delegates so that meant 1 for Clinton and 3 for Obama. Each camp also needed an alternate. The Clinton people decided among themselves who would represent them but since the Obama group was so large, we had to do things a little differently. And that's where it got interesting.

Now, as you know, I wanted to be a delegate. Last time, when our chair called for volunteers to be delegates there was a lot of shuffling and looking the other way and reluctant, "well, if no one else wants to" sorts of things. I went into the caucus determined to be bold and step up when the time came. I didn't have to do that, because The Spouse nominated me. I then turned to one man who had been particularly eloquent and said, "I think you should be a delegate" and he accepted. Then our chair decided she wanted to do it because she was all fired up by our persuasive arguments.

Someone asked, "Do we vote now?" and someone else answered, "That's our three, we just need an alternate." Stirred by passion and a commitment to democracy I piped up and said, "Before we do that we should make sure everyone who wants to be a delegate is up here" and some little chicky-poo hopped up and said she wanted to represent. And that gave us four.

Thing is, no one wanted to be an alternate by choice so then we each were asked to make little speeches about why we wanted to be delegates. Now, pay attention.

The chair, who had been undecided and was swayed partly by my impassioned speech about Obama (during which I noted a lot of smiling and head nodding), said something deeply moving about representing all of us at the next level. I said something about loving politics and the process and how eager I was to represent a man who I believed had the will and the energy to get America back on course. Chicky Poo, who was there because I saw to it we didn't railroad the delegate selection process, proceeded to chime in that she hates politics and hates the process, even thinks it's completely stupid, but feels strongly that Obama is our best choice. The last guy, who I nominated, gave as heartfelt a speech as he had the first time.

We voted and yours truly was elected. As the alternate. Rather, I wasn't elected, I just was what was left over. So basically, by virtue of my oratory, nominations and service to the process, screwed myself out of a delegate position.

I was smiling and graciously accepted my alternate credentials. But I was bitter. Especially about Chicky Poo, who says she hates politics and then did a completely political thing by working off what I said to set herself apart. Bitch.

Not really. She seemed very nice. But I was still bitter. And yeah, someone might not be able to go to the next level and then I'd be in but doggone it, I really wanted to be a delegate. Poo.

Still, that crushing disappointment did little to tarnish my enthusiasm for the process or my candidate. It was terribly exciting to come home and start watching returns and see Obama sweep the weekend contests. Obama is now leading in pledged delegates, 986 to 924. Clinton is ultimately still ahead because, at the moment, she has more superdelegates. But even with that Obama has pulled within 37 total delegates. Today will be very interesting. Obama ran the table this weekend but it's pretty clear that the so-called Potomac bloc that's voting today could go either way or split. It just keeps getting more and more interesting, rather then less so.

And speaking of still interesting, Huckabee is challenging the vote count in Washington state. I find this positively hil.ar.i.ous. He is citing the fact that the race was called with 87% of the votes counted, which is legit. What's funny is that he's citing "voting irregularities". The GOP has been stealing elections for at least 2 cycles now and the fact that one of their own is now complaining just strikes me as deligtful. It goes again to how fractured the GOP is right now. If both Obama and Clinton can refrain from disunity within the party it just improves our odds. Oh, tee to the hee. Nothing like having your opponent on the ropes, baby.

In other news, while my electability has been determined to be less commanding than I would have hoped, yesterday The Child was voted "Nicest Girl" for the 8th grades "Most Likely To" pages in the yearbook. (She was also voted "Prettiest Eyes" and "Most Clumsy"...I don't get that one but whatever). I told her yesterday that she should be extremely proud of such an award because that says a lot about her character. Makes me pretty proud, too.
During the caucus she realized that 4 years from now she'll be able to vote. "Hey, Mommy, then I could run against you and be a delegate instead of you!" Maybe I should suggest a recount on the Nicest election.

Labels: , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I'm an alternate for Obama, too. So is DH. And Bear promoted his conscience by sporting a "Babies for Barack" sign on his baby bjorn at our caucus.

Happy birthday to me, and go team. Alternates rock.

And your kid is sooo the nicest kid in class. WTG.

February 12, 2008 10:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dude, happy belated birthday! And I have to have a picture of Bear in all his Obamaness.

David is a delegate for Obama, btw.

February 12, 2008 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I was in Utah when this happened. Utah. Where they voted for Romney. Who then quit. It's just so awsome to not be in Utah anymore.
(sans baby toes, naturally)

February 12, 2008 10:59 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

We know full well where she got those pretty eyes from.

February 12, 2008 11:16 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Like many elections, the best candidates sometimes don't make it through the popular vote ((cough) Al Gore (cough)). Oh, wait, he did win the popular vote. Ok, not the analogy that I was going for, so I'll just say it - you were robbed.

February 12, 2008 11:39 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Wow I feel so honored to be commenting on an alternate Delegate. Ha, I typed alternative first. Next you will be running for Senate. Oh I am still for Hillary but I will support Obama...when he ..er when a winner is chosen I will go with whoever.
I am confused at Huckableed, is he challenging just the Caucus...don't the republican vote twice for their candidate...on the 19th. in WA?
Oh I need a rack of beer.

February 12, 2008 12:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad you're not in Utah anymore, too, Hat. May I offer you some delightful baby toe pie?

Buck: (blush)

KA, I feel better now. This greatly improves my odds for an Academy Award and a Nobel Peace Prize.

Of course you will, Sageweb. As will we all. As for the Huckableed (funny) kerfuffle...it was close and the GOP state chair called the election before everything was counted. Not that he's got a statistical chance in hell, but right now every delegate he seats is one more chip he's got to wrangle whatever he's wrangling for. But yeah, only half the GOP delegates are going to come from the caucus and the other half from will come from the primary. I assume they have some mathematical formula for figuring it all out...but as Huckabee famously stated yesterday, "I didn't major in math; I majored in miracles". Whatever, dude.

February 12, 2008 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

(makes Cookie Monster sounds)
n'yum n'yum n'yum

February 12, 2008 2:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

(hands Hat a freshly pressed napkin)

February 12, 2008 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm sorry, but the caucus process is totally discriminatory toward introverts. Why does the election process differ from party to party? That's wrong, and I think it could be a deterrent to potential voters. [steps off soapbox.]

Now, where do I go to vote for The Child?

February 12, 2008 3:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I believe all introverts need to direct their complaints to Washington's Secretary of State, Sam Reed. He'll probably tell them to shut up, but still.

February 12, 2008 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

So,as an alternate,you would be a delegate if,say for example,Chicky Poo's Ipod should explode while she's jogging?..just wondering.

February 12, 2008 5:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Guido, remind me to throw a bale of Indonesian Peacherry coffee off the back of the truck this week.

February 12, 2008 6:28 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

The caucus sounds like so much more fun than standing quietly in the voting booth. Obama swept the Chesapeake Primary today.

February 12, 2008 9:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It is fun, Mom, though it isn't for everyone. But it feels like a very old-fashioned, community-driven sort of way to do things and I like that.

And I know, I know, I know! I'm so psyched!

February 12, 2008 9:57 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

regardless of who actually wins the party nominations, this year's election process has already proven that the future of our nation is going to be much brighter than it has been for years.

p.s. the child sounds like a future contender fora successful political career. ;-}

February 12, 2008 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

As I was saying Peace Love Harmony and Beautiful houghts to you and yours.

You should have told them of your blog and the power which you yield.

But then again. :+}

February 12, 2008 11:58 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Sorry about you not being elected a delegate but you've just given a great example of the process as it should work. I look at my own country at the moment and the political apathy that looks like it will lead us to where the US was 7 years ago. I look at Italy and I am frankly stunned that we will see another Ultra-right, self-serving, big-business-oriented government in power in the next few months. Just as I am seeing hope for the US I am feeling a change in the rest of my world that frightens me.

February 13, 2008 2:18 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

And Child - got a feeling she just may whopp you're ass next time around... but nicely!

February 13, 2008 2:18 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I thought the UK's political processes were complicated enough! I read your post as carefully as I could, but I didn't really get all the details. Never mind: I'm sure I'll become more familiar with them as the months pass.

Congrats to The Child!

And by the way, hasn't someone else got the copyright on being bitter...?

February 13, 2008 4:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's absolutely the truth, Danny. I mean, seriously, who would have thought it would even go on this long. It's like the good old days. The fact that no one on either side could wind up with enough delegates and this thing would have to go all the way to the conventions? And then the conventions would actually be fun and interesting like they were when we were kids? And we'd (I'd) sit there glued to the set waiting to see who the nominee would be? Man! In this era of big money and big party machines and all that other whooha I never thought we'd see those days again.

I'm sorry, what were you saying?

Anon, I thought about that...the power of the blog...but then I realized that it would be far more useful as a place to complain about the usurpation of Chicky Poo if they didn't know. Oh, and btw, congrats on your selection as a delegate for Hils.

(walks away seething, the fires of jealousy rekindled)


Willym, my pet, if anyone understands your shivers over the future it would be those of us who consider ourselves progressives who are living through some of the darkest 7 years of our history. (Too dramatic? Hmmm. Nope). Come here and give us a hug...courage, my friend, courage.

(I'm saying that with a rolly, French accent, like Rupert Everett did in "My Best Friend's Wedding". Thought I should clarify that).

Dariush, Too complicated? Blast, and I left out all the really confusing bits of arcania, like pancake race, chocolate carving contest and the poetry reading.

Don't bother trying to mine the depths of American politics. Just cross your fingers for us. We'll do the rest.

Oh, and that "bitter" thing? He doesn't actually own the copyright, although he does expect me to send him a check whenever I use the word. Wait a minute....

February 13, 2008 6:38 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Chills....yes, I got chills reading this, that is until the whole thing with bitchy-poo.

When things like this happen, I always think of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" and just wish i could be Kathy Bates in the grocery store parking lot for just one day!

February 13, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Here's a blankie, Twisi. And yeah, sometimes being able to play the "older and better insurance" card is cool. But it will be alright.

February 13, 2008 7:30 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

So exciting! I'm so glad the Child got to attend. Teen Demon was very disappointed she didn't get to go, as she had to be at the Regionals for wrestling, down in Vancouver. She did get to hear Senator Obama speak last Friday, so that helped, whoo-hoo.

I was thrilled to see so many turn out! We had thousands at our caucus point -- it was a mad house. I really think they should've provided shuttles or had more locations. Something. But the turnout was wonderful.

I actually think Huckabee had a point about them stopping the count when it was so close -- but I'm so relieved we're not a Huckabee state. THank you, thank you, thank you, I really didn't want to be a Huckabee state.

I think the "Nicest" award is the best award the Child could've received. Good for her!

February 13, 2008 5:09 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

Hey, did any of your orthodox neighbors go out for caucus on Shabbat? curious.

February 14, 2008 7:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Cowbell, the turnout thing is the BEST! And I loved seeing the array of folks that turned out. Crikey, we even had at least one woman in a burka. It was quite the cross section, let me tell you.

Pamelamama, excellent question. None of the orthodox neighbors I know were there. But on the other hand, their orthodoxy also tends to make most of them pretty conservative (read Republican) politically, so they have the primary as a fallback. Although, strictly speaking, I think it would be nice if we did a "during the week" caucus, like Iowa.

February 14, 2008 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home