Friday, February 01, 2008

All Dressed Up

So much to say about this rendition of this song:

1) I always have been and I always will be in love with Mark Knopfler, even though he's never had really good hair.

2) It is always amazing to me when I see performances with artists of equally huge talent collaborating together. Because really, all too often, in the real world, it seems people are very competitve when it comes to talent. But true artists seem to be very generous people. Sure, bands break up over artistic differences all the time but when I see two immensely talented people sharing a stage like this it really inspires me.

c) I'm not sure when this was recorded, but from what I've been able to find, it looks like 1988. Clapton's eyes look really sad. Either that or he's on something. If he's really sad then I'm amazed he could perform anyway. (We'd see his ability to do that a few years later, after the death of his son, so I guess he's got it in him). If he's high, well, that's even more amazing. But it does make me want to give him a hug and tell him everything's going to be alright.

What I'd like to say specifically about this song:

a) It is my number one favorite Clapton song ever. ("Layla" is number 2).

2) It is also one of the most romantic songs in the history of rock and roll. Romantic, I tell you. This isn't a song about sex and attraction but of love and admiration. Let's face it, most of 'em aren't. Not in this way, anyhoo.

3) I remember when I was little, watching Dame Judi getting ready for a night out with Sean Connery. I'd sit on their bed and watch, fascinated, as she negotiated all the whizbangery of women's underthings (in the days before the magic of control-top panty hose, mind you), slipping a pretty dress over her head, putting on her pearls, brushing her hair. She looked so beautiful. This is one of those things I did so often that it is no longer a specific memory but an iconic one: mommy getting ready. It always felt a little magical and I remember thinking, "I wonder if I'll ever be that pretty". And later, "I wonder if I'll ever be going out with anyone, ever".

This song is the grownup equivalent of that, a man observing, almost from the outside, the beauty of his partner. I always thought that what he says to her in the song is just about the sweetest, most romantic thing ever a man could say to a woman.



Eric Clapton & Dire Straits "Wonderful Tonight"

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Who'dya rather?

Mark Knopfler or Steve Martin?

February 01, 2008 8:16 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Love this song! What a great description of it - you nailed it on the musical head. Happy Friday.

February 01, 2008 8:38 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I'm getting choked up that happens to be "our song" *sniff, sniff* And even more amazing, he does actually not only remember but still gets a bit sentimental when he hears it after all these eons..

February 01, 2008 9:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, that is such an impossible question that I cannot possibly begin to answer it. Both is out of the question, I suppose?

Happy Friday to you, too, KA! Glad you liked it.

Aww, Cuz, that's the sweetest thing EVAH!

February 01, 2008 9:37 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Aah, perhaps the lyrics of this song were what Obama was whispering into Hillary's ear last night in LA during their lovefest/debate.

Aw, shucks.

February 01, 2008 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Knopfler did the soundtrack to The Princess Bride. Sorry.
That's all I got.

February 01, 2008 1:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, I'm sure of that, SCG. tee.

Hat, Mark's and my love is like a storybook story. He also did the soundtrack for "Local Hero".

February 01, 2008 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

He did yes. And that is a fantabulous movie that not many seem to know. "I've an affinity fuh laaaaanguages"

February 01, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm a huge fan of this song!
I'm also a huge fan of tendering heartfelt compliments when the spirit moves..
It's a win-win situation.

February 01, 2008 5:09 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Those are my 2 favorite Clapton songs as well. This one always brings to mind a boyfriend (who could sing and harmonize beautifully), and getting ready to go out, and it always brings good thoughts even though i ended the relationship. I'll have to listen to this version after I'm home, where there are speakers - sounds like a good mix!

February 01, 2008 5:11 PM  
Blogger evilganome opined...

I love that song, and I also have a long time love of Mark Knopfler. BTW, did you hear the album he cut with Emmy Lou? I really like it a lot, but oh Dire Straights! What a great band.

February 02, 2008 9:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, "Local Hero" is one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time.

And that, Mr. Sling, is why the ladies love ya. That and your artistic mixology abilities. Among other things.

Cowbell, yep...it's an evocative song, isn't it?

Evilgnome, I am familiar with the collaboration of which you speak, but yeah...Dire Straits...Love. Them. "Making Movies"? One of the top 10 best albums ever in the history of rock and roll.

February 03, 2008 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ahhh...such a lovely song...

February 04, 2008 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (note no W)

I'm humble enough to realize that whoever the republicans put in office with their crooked manuevering will be better than the one we got now.

Peace

February 12, 2008 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home