Thursday, December 06, 2007

First of All

Oh, sure, of course I'm going to recap PR in a bit. It's what I do. But I also have to take a moment to give a shout out to the people of Omaha who are reeling from yesterday's shooting.

Two words: gun control.

And for those of you who want to argue the point with me, don't. It's my blog and I don't want to hear it today. You can't convince me that somehow this situation would have been averted if everyone in that mall was packing. That would have just resulted in more death and injury.

We need fewer guns in this damn country; not more.

Period.

To the people of Omaha: God bless you. You're walking in a surreal fog right now, trying to comprehend how something like this could have happened in your town. And you probably won't be able to comprehend it. But what you can do is be there for each other, be kind to the strangers you encounter on the street, hug your loved ones a little tighter, pray for the victims and their families. (Gawd, Christmastime...that makes it suck even harder). And when that mall reopens, my advice is that every one of you goes there in a big show of solidarity. The bad guys win when we're afraid.

That is all.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Amen

December 06, 2007 7:23 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Ditto, Anne.

December 06, 2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Dupla-amen.

Although, I'm up for a backup to the lose the guns position.

***

Well, I just deleted paragraph after paragraph. And another paragraph for good measure.

I'm thinking only we can rescue ourselves from our bankruptcy of purpose and imagination. Maybe we'll start after Omaha recovers.

December 06, 2007 7:51 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I'm a big believer in gun control as well. Law-abiding adults should be able to pack heat if they want, but it's not a violation of their rights if it takes some doing -- a process that will weed out minors, people who are psychologically distressed, and those with criminal backgrounds. If it had been nearly impossible for that poor, miserable kid to get his hands on a gun, it's likely that he'd still be dead this morning (a tragedy in itself, lest we forget), but he probably wouldn't have taken out eight or nine bystanders with him.

December 06, 2007 8:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

What y'all said. Have some pie. I love you.

December 06, 2007 8:30 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I keep praying I'll wake up one morning and the madness will have ceased...

December 06, 2007 9:05 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I'm with you on this one, sista.

December 06, 2007 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

WHY ARE KIDS KILLING PEOPLE IN MALLS!?
Malls, clubs, schools, streets, bedrooms...
(fists to the heavens)
When this happened in SLC in Feb., the mall re-opened two days later and everybody went. I mean, everybody. It was very healing.

December 06, 2007 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Amen, and hugs.

December 06, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

the sadness and senselessness of it all is overwhelming

December 06, 2007 2:59 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I think we need to give buttloads of media attention to these incredible idiots.
..or maybe the headline should read,"Insignificant punk does the world a favor and blows his own brains out"...sadly,thay always have to take others with them.
I just don't know.

December 06, 2007 8:27 PM  
Blogger thmswht opined...

i'm very distressed at what the world has come to in a few short years since i was a kid in my hometown in ohio. although, i'm pretty sure in that home town i could still leave my door unlocked at home.

but maybe that's just the "it'll never happen to me" mentality.

when the ward parkway mall shooting happened earlier this year we made it a point to head out there when it reopened as well.

much love to the folks in omaha, be strong!

December 07, 2007 5:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

This is me, again, hugging all of you, again. I'm also wondering why Blogger didn't email about half of these comments to me so that I would have known they were here and could have answered them all along as I am wont to do but oh well. Still. Hugging.

December 07, 2007 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home