Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I'm Going to Sneeze Six Times. Bless Me.


We didn't blow away or slide away or sail away.


Hurray.

I don't really know what else to say.


There was some sun today.


I want to play.

Hey!





Right, so is anyone else watching "Tin Man" on the SciFi channel? It's awesome. It's a twist on "The Wizard of Oz", starring Alan Cumming (love him) and Zooey Deschanel (adore her). We're big fans of stories that turn fairy tales on their heads.


I haven't started my Christmas shopping. That's semi-problematic, although I pretty much know what needs to be got. But still. Should probably get on that.



I am decidedly less glumpy than I was yesterday. I'm not a very glumpy gal by nature. Stuff bothers me, but I usually don't take it into my bones and live with it for hours and hours. Yesterday's version of glumpiness was the sort that made me feel just exhausted and heavy. I couldn't really think or do or any of that. I pretty much just wanted to eat chocolate (we didn't have any) and sleep (I didn't). Today is much better. Although I have decided that I should keep a stash of M&Ms handy, in case of emergencies, you know.

And then Sling invited me over and he had played a Perry Como song for me. Here's what he didn't know when he did that: I love Perry Como. Have since I was too tiny to know what a crush is. Dame Judi and Sean Connery had records of all those great old black and white singers (I always think of them as being in black and white), but Perry was my favorite. He was so cute and his voice was so mellow. I loved looking at his album covers while he crooned. And I was a toddler. Seriously. It's like, my love of Perry Como is so ancient that I hadn't even ever really thought about how much I love him until I read Sling's post and listened to the song and then it all just came rushing back; it was very visceral.

Plus, Sling calls me "Rainey", which I love because not very many people do, but the ones who do are really special to me. Like my nieces. And really old friends. And in some cases, newer friends.

Thanks again for the perk up, buddy. You rock really super hard and I love you. Mean it.


I got a call from The Child's math teacher last night. Apparently they'd had a super hard algebra test last week. Usually she's really good at algebra. It's funny because the kid still doesn't have all her math facts memorized (neither do I if the truth be told) but she has a real facility for (what I consider to be) the more abstract stuff, like algebra and Euclidean geometry and the Pythagorean theorem. But this test apparently kicked her arse, so much so that toward the end she put a Kleenex on the end of her pencil, waved it at the teacher and said, "I surrender".

That's hysterical.

What's not hysterical is that she needs to pass the test to get a passing grade in math this trimester and she needs passing grades since this report card is what the high schools will be looking at for admission. So the teacher is letting her finish the test this afternoon. Which is mighty fine of him, if I say so myself.


High school. This application process is another arse kicker. I seriously didn't have to fill out this many forms when I was applying to college. It's insane. Plus, she has entrance exams this weekend and next. Fortunately, the schools to which she's applying don't use the exams for eligibility but for placement purposes (both schools have different learning tracks in their curriculum. Curriculi? Whatever). But still, it would be nice if she could do semi-well on them. Which, between you and me, is doubtful because she's one of those kids who doesn't test well. If you sat her down and asked her to explain a recently learned concept she could do it. Ask her the same question on a piece of paper while she holds a number 2 pencil and tell her she's got 15 minutes to answer and not so much.

It's maddening to have a kid who's bright as a button and struggles to prove it in any quantitative way.

The good news? If, by some chance, she isn't admitted to either school, I'm just calling our pastor. Seriously. A phone call from the Very Reverend to an admissions office would, I suspect, have some serious pull. Sometimes you gotta call in all your chips. This could be one of those times. Yeah. I'm a little worried.

Right, so I have a nice long day ahead of me and the will to do what needs be done so I'm off.

And the rain has stopped. Praise be.

Labels: , , , , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Guzundheit.

I am worried less about The Child's school placement than you. I just know she's going to get into her first choice. Because I just do. So there.

December 04, 2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

(blows nose) Thanks, Uncle JP. You just keep on not being worried for her. You're the best.

December 04, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger Nunnie's Attic opined...

My brilliant sister, who graduated Summa Cum Laude, could not take tests either. Especially standardized ones. But she did famously and fabulously so I have no doubt your bright Child will do equally as well.

If by some chance you have a minute, you should swing by my place. Coincidences amaze me.

And just 4 fun - Blogger does not recognize the words Summa or Laude but it DOES recognize cum.

Love,
Julie

December 04, 2007 10:03 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I am so glad to see your post today. You were the my first thought when I woke up this morning and saw a story about the north-east storm on Morning Joe.

December 04, 2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

It often works that way when it comes to tests.. Quite getting stressed over it, she'll be fine.

Consider yourself blessed- not that it'll do much good coming from me mind you,,

December 04, 2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Jeeze.. can you tell I'm sick? No more commenting until the fever goes down..

December 04, 2007 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Curriculi is a good word. And when I read it, I started singing that 'Valkari' song in my head, but with Curriculi in it's stead.
"Corriculeeeee,
Curriculiiiii.
Curriculaaaaaa
Curricula-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Curriculeeeeee
Curriculiiiiii
with a knapsack on my back..."
tee hee

December 04, 2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you for that, Julie. And Perry Como rocks.

Aww, Twisi. It's nice to be thought about.

Doralong: you're right, I know. Moms. Sheesh. And get better, 'k?

Hat: It's Val-di-re, not Valkari. You and lyrics. 'scuse me while I kiss this guy.

December 04, 2007 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Funny, I keep hearing that Italian folk song...you know, "Curriculi Curricula"...

Geshundheit again. Any word on the tiara? And does that mean you want all of us to call you "Rainey"? 'Cuz I'm happy to oblige! (Which suddenly brings to mind "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da"...egad...)

December 04, 2007 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That's it. I'm moving to Canadia.

December 04, 2007 1:48 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

There's a bathroom on the right

December 04, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

The child will do well....I know it. My son was a late applicant and I used a priest card to get him in Damien. These are our kids....I'd do what ever it took.

Grumpy did not come across to me....you were just a littel waterlogged....like a sponge....and needed a hug.....

December 04, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

These sorts of things have a way of working out. It's a mystery. Yes, I stole the line from a movie, but so what.

December 04, 2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Syd, funnily enough that was the song it inspired in moi as well. The tiara is fine...just regular 10,000 wearing maintenance and a rotation of the diamonds.

And you are welcome to call me Rainey if you wish.

Not without me, you're not, Miss Hat.

Spouse: Blinded by the light, woke up like a moose in the middle of the night.

The priest card, I just feel better knowing I've got it in the deck, Rosie. ((((You))))

'deed they do, KA. And stealing lines from one of my favorite movies is always acceptable 'round here.

December 04, 2007 2:54 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Your sneezes increase in size as you go.

By the way, I can see into the future. The Child is going to make you proud in ways you haven't even dreamed of.

December 04, 2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I've been watching some pretty scary weather stuf concerning your neck o' the woods,and I remember the Big Ass Tree incident of '06..nice to hear you got some sunshine!
I'm happy you enjoyed Perry.That really was the song that came to mind when you said you had been feeling a bit down..
Take the pressure of worrying about the Child off yourself,..and put it on her!
Tell her everyone is expecting great things from her. ;)

Oh yeah,..I vote for "curriculae"..I don't know how to pronounce it,but it looks all classy and stuff.

December 04, 2007 5:51 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

sitting here in the library surfing your blog on the iPhone when I should be getting the kids towards bed laughing my head off.
Bless you!

December 04, 2007 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorrainey (my own version of Lorraine! *smiles*),

I'm glad you're feeling better today!--you know, everyone has a "glumpy" day once in a while--Iwanski and I had a simultaneous glumpy day last week--that was fun! *grin*

Good luck to the Child!!

Love,

MHP :)

December 04, 2007 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Of course I meant my own version of the NAME Lorraine! *grin*

-MHP :)

December 04, 2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Everyone should have emergency chocolate in the house. Flashlight, batteries, duct tape, chocolate.

Standardized tests -- I wish they'd find a more effective and equitable tool of assessment. Good thoughts to the Child. Maybe if she imagines the pencil as a volleyball?

December 04, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

From your lips, Iwanski...

Yeah, Sling, it's pretty much kinda the Big Blow of '06 only farther south. My folks are w/o power, as are a niece and nephew-in-law...still trying to get thro to a 3rd family member...kinda freakazoid.

Well, I'm glad you find me amusing Anne. (You with your iPhone...pft).

December 04, 2007 10:17 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Okay, "glumpy" is now added to the list of acceptable Speed Scrabble words.

Kudos to The Child for being good in algebra. I totally sucked at it.

The plural for "curriculum" is "curricula" which you probably wouldn't let me use in Speed Scrabble.

"Rainey" Love it.

December 05, 2007 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home