Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday Bits

The Child is coming with me to work today for just a bit. SCG is picking her up and taking her off to be a little almost-mama helper. The clock is ticking down on impending motherhood and SCG has some things she wants to get done before that.

I was going to be SCG's doula until her OB declared (a week ago) that the baby is looking to be about 10 pounds now (with a due date of Sept. 2). The doc said the odds were real high that she could labor and labor and labor and ultimately need to have a C-section. So they've gone ahead and scheduled it for Monday. That means I won't be doing doula duty but I'll get to be with her in the recovery room. Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed but we're all a little relieved that there won't be any frantic 3am "we're in labor" calls. All nice and tidy and on the calendar. If you gotta do it, you gotta.

It all seems a little unreal. We've know SCG since she was in college; she and The Spouse were in the same RCIA class, back when The Child was just a wee bit. She became a beloved part of our little community and we've walked with her through all sorts of "growing up" sorts of experiences...losing a parent, graduating, getting a "real" job, meeting and marrying her Prince. Now she's going to be a mommy and I can hardly stand it! I can't wait to meet the little beggar and pinch his wittle wittle cheeks!

In other news, I think I mentioned that The Spouse is making a movie next month, a little short written by the fabulous Iwanski. We had a rehearsal last night. It's coming together but I'm still not off book. I just don't have any time to work on my lines right now. Fortunately, I'm sleeping with the director so he's cutting me some slack.

I was the lead in every student body play from 5th-8th grade. I loved, loved, loved acting. And I was, though I say it myself, not half bad at it. But I didn't have much drive or competitive spirit. Once I got to high school, I couldn't bring myself to go out for big roles. What if I didn't get it? (I realize that is a very sad little statement...fear of rejection kept me from doing something I really enjoyed. But I was not a child possessed of enormous confidence. So there you go. And that's why Meryl Streep is famous and I'm not.)

I was in the chorus of "Finian's Rainbow" my freshman year and played Annie, the nervous housemaid, in "Life with Father" my junior year. I actually won the Best Supporting Actress award for that portrayal. (See, no small parts, only small actors). But the acting bug had pretty much fled by college. Although I dated some actors. That was enough drama for me.

Anyhoo, point is, I'm excited to get in front of the lights again, after all these years.

And now, all of a sudden, I find thoughts of work and all that I need to do today crowding into my head, leaving no room for bloggy observations. Let me tell you something: I am very grateful that this Little Job came along when it did, for many reasons. But I will be soooooo glad when I'm done. It's so nice to make a little bit of money while clarifying that no, working in an office is not even remotely what I want to be doing at this time in my life. It's nice to have that confirmed.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh I loved going to work with my mom when I was a kid. Granted, she worked at the post office so I pretty much just napped in the break room. Or jumped up and down on the huge scales. "Look! Now I weigh 120 lbs! Now I only weigh 15 lbs!" Yeah...back when 120 lbs. seemed really really heavy. *sigh*

August 23, 2007 9:25 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I can SO see you on stage, I think you would be a great actress.

And I get what you're saying about not wanting to work in an office... sadly only one of us gets to see that end soon.

August 23, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I barely even know you and I agree: you are WASTED in an office.

August 23, 2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I still love performing. And thankfully, I have an adoptive lesbian mom who thinks I'm rather BRILLIANT and employs me every now and then. At the same time, I love my day job (despite the office setting), so it's all good.

I hope the eventual short film will be posted on YouTube so that all of your blogfriends can come see.

August 23, 2007 3:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're funny, Hat. Have I told you that before?

Well, thanks, Precious. You should have seen me as Pearly May in the classic "Itchin' to Git Hitched". 5th grade. That was a kickin' performance.

Thanks, Booda Baby. My boss told me again today how grateful she is to me and what a contribution I'm making and it was all very nice but there isn't enough money in the world to get me to stay there!

Red: Some of us got it, some of us don't. And yes, I'm sure he's planning on YouTubing it. And he'll maybe even enter it in some film festivals. Assuming it doesn't, you know, suck.

August 23, 2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I always WANTED to act in plays, but could never squeeze the time into my busy school and work schedule when I was in high school and college. I did do a bit of MC'ing of events, and won rave reviews, and I loved the dramatic interpretation part of speech class, but I never got to exercise my acting bug. Well, I take that back - I always thought of my stints waitressing and selling stuff as acting gigs - you DO have to do a lot of acting at times to get the big tips or make the sale. But no stage plays for me, sadly.

August 23, 2007 4:12 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Can't wait to see the movie. Even if you don't get superpowers or transform into a semi-truck.

August 23, 2007 6:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's very nice of you, Lex, especially considering that there aren't aliens or explosions, either.

August 23, 2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I went to work with my dad 1 time.It was all blueprints,and drafting tables,and guys walking around all kinds of busy.I loved it.
..No superpowers,or transforming?..No aliens ,or explosions?..
That must mean there are tons of dangerous stunts!...Be careful.

August 23, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I can't wait.

August 23, 2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, I've just about nailed the bit where I have to jump from our roof to The Neighbor's. And the thing with the car chase? Gonna be sa-weet!

Iwanski, we're having a production meeting on Saturday afternoon. We should call you and put you on speaker. Seriously.

August 23, 2007 10:01 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

:)
i wish i new what i wanted to do, or didnt want to do

August 24, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, Mouse, they're going to need an Admin once I leave. I'll bet one week there and you'd at least have the "don't want" part figured out!

August 24, 2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Ooh, an indie film! You'll be brilliant, I'm sure. Will Johnny Depp have a role? Just wondering...

(spammerdude -- what a freakmeister)

August 25, 2007 1:46 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

CB, I would have lova lova loved to get Johnny to be in the film but he's working or sunning in France or something. Very sad.

(And sheesh! That anonymous manifesto? So deleted. We don't play like that over here).

August 25, 2007 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home