Friday, August 17, 2007

High School Musical II:Live Blog

10:00pm
And now we're wrapping it up with a rock and roll style number called "All for One". How do the girls all know the words and dance moves?

Final thoughts:

Spouse: I liked it.

Jane: I saw growth in the characters and I saw experience in their eyes and I feel like I'm a better person. I just wish I'd been in that movie.

Molly: It's basically INcredible and when they do it on Broadway, I am coming and throwing things on the stage which may be inappropriate.

Child: Speechless. It's the best one yet.

(The Spouse and I don't necessarily think that but it wasn't dialed in and they obviously put effort into it. On the other hand, the whole Troy/Gabby breaking up thing did get to at least 50% of the crowd. Very dramatic in a classic musical sort of way).

I certainly can think of worse ways to spend a Friday evening.

9:58pm
Excellent. "Every Day"...big number during which, of course, Troy and Gabriella get back together.

And when it was all over, we were finally rewarded with the big Kiss. Then a 2nd. Then a 3rd. There was a lot of screaming.

9:44pm

Big finish, big talent show scene. We're almost done. I'm going to totally immerse myself in the fabulousness of the finale and then I'll be back to recap. Because the crickets care.

9:40pm
"Bet on It"...Troy's big "I'm such a tool and I've lost everything I care about just to get a big schmantzy scholarship so maybe I'd better pull my head out of my arse and stand up for myself" song.

Molly finds his dance moves a bit contrived.

It's totally working for Jane and The Child. Well, until he sang to his reflection in a pool. Yeah, that was bad.

He's redeeming himself in this last verse. Kinda "Footloose".

Molly: "Horrendous".

Jane: "Horrendously fabulous".

9:35pm

"I've Got to Go My Own Way": major drama and devastation: Gabriella breaks up with Troy. Totally awesome song.

And Jane is totally bawling.

9:25pm

Chad just gave Troy a blistering what for.

Troy showed up to rehearse with Sharpay, to a tarted up version of "You Are the Music in Me". She had a big puffy pink tulle train thing hanging off the back of her short skirt. I said, "She's got pink stuff hanging off her butt".

"Tulle" replied The Child.

"Yes, he is a tool," said The Spouse, who, since the baseball number is totally on board.

Also, we actually got our first literal reference to "Grease". I'm so right about everything.

The Child: "I need to see some sort of action between some sort of couple sooner or later".

I'm looking into boarding schools.

9:11pm
"I Don't Dance"...The Spouse is over his "meh"...we've got singing and dancing during a baseball game. (National League rules...no designated hitter). This is a great number.

More to the point, Sharpay's brother, Ryan, who's been dissed by S once to often, is poised to help the employees develop a number for the big club talent show. Sharpay has basically coerced Troy to sing with her. Who do we think will win?

Seriously, this baseball number is hot.

9:02pm

Sharpay dumps a bucket of pink golf balls in front of new golf pro Troy. "Nice balls," he says.

Nieces laughed in a way that they should be ashamed of. I'll speak to them later.

Also, Troy is totally being bought by Sharpay's parents and so far he's totally clueless. In fact, he just rudely told his best friend, "I ordered Swiss on my burger". The gang is on to him. We're so heading into the big climactic conflicty moment thing.


8:54pm

The Spouse says, "Meh". Then we all yelled at him because he missed at least 2 big numbers. Hello. Shut up and watch the movie, dude.

Jane: I'm feeling the start of something new with Troy and I.

Molly: I'm pretty sure that Ashley Tisdale is the meanest girl in the world. And Corbin Blue's hair is amazing.

(She doesn't think someone can play mean as well as Tisdale is without having some serious evil of her own. The adults disagree).

Child: I'm feeling the start of something new with Corbin and I.

8:50pM
Massive manipulation by Sharpay results in Troy being an hour late for a date with Gabbie. But all is well, what with her not being the least bit jealous or possessive. Ahhh...a moonlight swim...frolicking...he moves in for a kiss....ARGH!!!! (say all the girls). Gabriella gets busted for being in the pool (off limits to employees). She's got 2 strikes now. Of course, Troy doesn't get in trouble. In fact, he just got a promotion.

Crap! $500/week plus tips. I want that gig.

The Child is upset. We've just entered our 2nd commercial break. She thinks that's too many.

8:43pm
Sharpay is wearing a tiara while golfing. Right frakking on!

8:41pm

Sharpay's code name: Golden Throat.

Ryan's code name: Jazz Square

Just had another big number, "The Music in Me", which I will likely subject you to tomorrow. Big duet between Troy and Gabbie. (No one else calls her that, but I do). It was hot. The audience was fawning.

And I wonder, a) am I doing this right? and 2) where is Sling? He was bringing beer.

8:28pm
The Crowd Reacts

Jane: Love. It. Troy Bolton makes me ovulate.

Molly: Why isn't my life a musical? And Troy Bolton makes me ovulate.

Child: What does ovulate mean?

8:21pm
Twenty minutes in and we're already on our 3rd musical number. "Fabulous"...a little Busby Berkeley style number wherein Sharpay reveals the depths of her shallowness and now "Work It Out", as the rest of the cast guts up for their menial summer jobs.

Here's the deal so far: Sharpay's parents own the country club. She arranges for Troy to be hired. But Troy would only take the job if all his friends got jobs, too. Because that's how it works in the real world. (Wait...musical theatuh...Perfect!) Sharpay wants the manager to make everyone else miserable so they'll quit...leaving Troy all to herself. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

Troy just threw grapes in Gabriella's face. It was cute. Ooh, she's down on the green... he picks her up...they are about to kiss and someone turns on the irrigation.

Does it ruin the moment? Well, there's no kissing but they dance in the sprinklers.

Cute.


8:10pm

The opening number ("What Time is It") was great...beginning where we left off, musically speaking...with a big song and dance number that involved the entire school celebrating the arrival of summer vacation.

Ooh, Troy just gave Gabriella a beautiful necklace. They've tried to kiss. Twice.

I hate when that happens.

At least they are holding hands.

Ooh, the first complication reveals itself...Sharpay is not down with the whole Gabriella/Troy thing. Scheming biatch alert!

8:00pm

The countdown is over. Picture it: 3 screaming girls. We open on a clock, counting down to 2 pm. And no, I am not going to give you a play by play. I'll be back at the first commercial.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I am live commenting on your live blogging, but I am not live watching that of which you are live blogging.

August 17, 2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bite me, Poodle.

August 17, 2007 9:30 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Wait a minute!!..
Are they talkin' about my Sophomore year at West Torrance High??..
Is Sharpay a pseudonym for Becky Trunelle??..This is creepin' me out.

August 17, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Could be, Sling. Was she a hot rich blonde who lived for musical theater and would walk over anyone including her own brother to get what she wants?

August 17, 2007 10:10 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Becky was a redhead..Whew!

August 17, 2007 10:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank heave, Sling. Because if she had been blonde and all that AND her parents had owned a country club and she totally manipulated basically the whole high school to get to the star jock...that would have been sooooo scary.

August 17, 2007 10:33 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Is Sharpay's name supposed to sound like the dog breed?

August 18, 2007 5:33 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Wow, I felt like I actually watched.

August 18, 2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, it is, Lex. See? You DO care.

And wasn't that baseball number fabulous, Red?

August 18, 2007 7:39 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Thanks for the play by play, now I don't have to watch it on TiVo.

August 18, 2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Oh fun!!

In other news ... I'm so glad I didn't live-blog the game tonight. My boys took an ass-beating. It was ugly. Mad-ugly.

I didn't know what live-blogging was until tonight. Does that make me fresh and naive?

August 18, 2007 11:54 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

DramaQueen has already seen this twice, and we don't dare erase it from the DVR. Somehow I haven't been able to watch the show all the way through, but I liked what I saw, except for Troy singing that weird Bet On It song.

August 19, 2007 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

ok i know my mom might read this (at least her sister does) BUT i wish i had a mommy like you some days. i have access to high school musical II soundtrack on yahoo unlimited. let me know if your child would like it potentially burned and sent out to her (have to check logistics).
have a great week! - stacy
ps: I'm blogging again now!

August 19, 2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, you should totally watch it, Anne. It's worth it.

I've never live blogged, Cowbell, so I'm not even sure I did it right. Sorry about the drubbing the boys took.

Bad Alice: So agree about Troy's solo...not the highlight of the show.

Well, thanks, Stacy. I hope someday The Child realizes how completely and totally cool I am. Should hit around, what, 25? And thanks for the disk offer but Uncle JP has that covered.

August 20, 2007 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home