Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thursday Tosh

Thanks for all your good wishes yesterday about what I am now calling the Little Job. It's not that big a deal, really, given the money and the hours but it accomplishes a few things, not the least of which is effectively ending my summer as of tomorrow. But I realize that 99.9% of you work full-time and have 2 weeks, maybe, of summer anyway so whining about that would probably not warrant any sympathy. So I won't.

Pamelamama left a comment celebrating "worthwhile work". I don't know that this qualifies. It's hardly my dream job. The more I think about it, my dream job is building a miniature replica of all the sets for "Battlestar Gallactica" and selling tickets so people can come see my little tiny Play-doh® Laura Roslin and Bill Adama. So I'm looking at this as seed money for that project.




Here's something else I haven't mentioned yet:

A few weeks ago Seattle Coffee Girl asked if I would be her doula when Buffy comes. Of course I said "yes". One of my dearest friends was with The Spouse and I when I brought forth The Child and I swear it wouldn't have been accomplished without her. There's just something about having another woman there, whose been through it and knows you well, to make the job just a little easier. Plus, I'll have the privilege of being one of the first people ever to see the little beggar and that's exciting to me.

I should point out that the use of the word little in this instance is ironic. He looks to weigh about 9 pounds already and her due date is September 2. Can you say "inducing"? "Yes, miss, I'll have a gin and tonic and would you bring a Castor oil on ice for my friend here?"

It's all terribly exciting. It's been a long time since our circle had a baby around and he stands to become one of the most fawned over babies in history. Do keep her in your thoughts and prayers, won't you?




People were grumpy in my house last night. That was lame.

Here's what a typical evening looks like. The Child is usually off playing or zoned out in front of the TV. I'm usually in front of the computer. The Spouse comes home. We say "hi". Then he gets in front of the computer. And sometimes, sure, the greetings are a bit more effusive than "hi" but we all stay in our separate little areas until it's time for dinner and I don't know but I'm thinking that isn't optimal.

When we first got back from France, years and years and years ago, we adopted the concept of apertif, having a nice leisurely drink, a little nibble of something and some polite decompression conversation when The Spouse came home. Then he'd be left to further down time while I got dinner ready. That was nice. And we totally got out of the habit because frankly, our culture doesn't really support that sort of thing. We're really just not a "take some time and have a leisurely anything" sort of culture.

Hurry up and get out the door. Hurry up and work. Hurry up and take a break but hurry back because there's work to do. Hurry up and cook dinner and eat it in 10 minutes because I have homework/a meeting/a TV show at 8. Oh! Look at the time! I'd better hurry up and get to bed.

Our family doesn't even really operate at such a frantic pace most of the time but that "hurry up" thing is still at play somehow anyway. I'm feeling a serious need to don some pearls and greet The Spouse with a nice dry martini when he gets home tonight. May sound a little June Clever but Ward and June had it going on.




And finally, this song has, for no particular reason, been on my mind for days.





"It's My Life" Talk Talk




Now I have to go put baking soda on The Child's foot. She's sporting her second yellow jacket sting of the summer and she's not happy.

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Citymouse opined...

See, I head out and I miss everything!

Good luck with the drive-- oh and it does sound mid 50s tv, if i did that to my husband I think he'd make me take the first sip... and check the insurance policy.

August 09, 2007 9:19 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

You and Ward have your martini. You'll look fabulous with the pearls. I'll be in the basement with Wally playing Twister.

August 09, 2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Two weeks? who gets 2 weeks? [grumble, pout] Well, yes, I am highly envious of you having an actual summer [sighs dramatically], but in all seriousness, it doesn't matter -- it's hard when that time ends, especially if it comes quickly without much warning. I would feel kind of resentful, having to up and be working that quickly, in your shoes. I'd need some time to get into that mindset, I think.

Although the I-5 thing is probably the thing you'll really have to pump yourself for. Ugh.

I miss our habits from Hungary too. That whole rush-rush thing you were talking about ... I don't know what it is here, but yeah. I have not been successful in keeping things like that in our daily lives here.

The doula thing, very cool. I wish I'd have had a female friend there my first time. (and all mine were around 9lbs -- 1 over, 2 just under. Yeah.)

August 09, 2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's why I gave The Spouse a heads up, Mouse. So he won't look at me suspiciously.

Alright, dear, but make sure you have your homework done first. Oh, and Beaver, please make your bed.

CB: Could indeed be the 0-60 nature of the situation that's making me lightheaded.

See? Europeans. Man, they have something figured out. They're so mature, what with being like, a thousand years old and such. America is such a toddler. Without naps.

Yikes. The Child was just under 8 pounds and I thought that was huge.

August 09, 2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's why I gave The Spouse a heads up, Mouse. So he won't look at me suspiciously.

Alright, dear, but make sure you have your homework done first. Oh, and Beaver, please make your bed.

CB: Could indeed be the 0-60 nature of the situation that's making me lightheaded.

See? Europeans. Man, they have something figured out. They're so mature, what with being like, a thousand years old and such. America is such a toddler. Without naps.

Yikes. The Child was just under 8 pounds and I thought that was huge.

August 09, 2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

"without naps" -- hahaha. Dubya is the poster child for that.

Yeah, and the over-9 one is the one who came barreling out like a freight train, 3 hours from start to done-deal. No drugs until the recovery room, either -- they were slow on the uptake. She owes me.

August 09, 2007 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

If I ever consider having a baby, will you talk me through it? And by 'talk me through it' I of coarse mean, shake me silly and shout in my face, "Don't Do It Girl!". Thanks.

August 09, 2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Do I get to slap you, too????? ;)

August 09, 2007 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Naturally.

August 09, 2007 2:03 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I was present during the birth of all 3 of my children.
Watching the little machine that tells when contractions are about to begin,holding hands,and having ice chips at the ready.It was unforgettable.
Just be sure not to take it personally,when they scream at the top of their lungs about what an irretrievable bastard you are.

August 09, 2007 6:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hey! I'm not the one who knocked her up!

August 09, 2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

She should have taken one of my kittens....hurts a lot less, but not any fun at all.

Not a day goes by that after I finish reading your blog and a few others I feel good again.

I never got two weeks. I was lucky to get a long weekend. Sadly, hospitals never close!

August 09, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad you feel better when you come by, Rosie. That's what I'm here for.

And yeah, a kitten is probably less trouble in the long run but you know those babies...kinda hard to resist.

August 09, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

That about how we do as a family unit as well..

Including the stings, my daughter got stung by a wasp about a month ago on the foot and swelled up something terrible scared me half to death...

August 09, 2007 11:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

She wears pearls and greets you with a cocktail, Grish? I knew I liked her.

Sorry about the daughter's foot. Stinking beelike creatures.

August 10, 2007 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home