Friday, August 17, 2007

What Time is It? Summertime!

Last night The Child left the television on when she went to bed. That was ok, I was going in there to watch a little "Battlestar Galactica" anyway. The Disney Channel was running "High School Musical", prepartory to getting all the kiddies psyched up for the premiere of HSMII (as the cool kids are calling it...you know, you have to be able to text it, right?
>
OMG! HSMII! 2nite! LLTA.


Those cats at Disney are nothing if not promoters. It wasn't enough to run the movie. Dig: they had a countdown clock in the corner of the screen. LMAO.



If you look closely at the reflection in the screen you'll see the detritus from the paper chains The Child is making to swag the ceiling. She's already hung a banner and every HSM poster she owns. The family room looks like Tiger Beat threw up.

But please be clear, The Spouse and I, while perhaps not exactly giddy, are looking forward to this, too. Sure, we're way more concerned than The Child that Disney phoned this one in and it won't be as good as the first (although, it must be noted that they took something like a year and a half to make it so that's a hopeful sign). But we liked the first one. We really did. And we're hoping we'll like II as well. I'm so excited, in fact, that I've decided to attempt something new. I'm going to live blog HSMII. Yes, I am. Why not? It'll be hot.

I was reading an article in Slate on HSM, which I can't trouble to link to because I'm in a hurry here, that was ever so snarky about all the pretty kids who were singing and dancing and not having sex or getting drunk or doing drugs and how completely unrealistic and stupid it was to imagine a situation where the biggest problem in high school is being a jock who wants to sing.

I think that was to miss the point entirely. A) I happen to have it on good authority that not every kid in America between the ages of 12 and 18 are having sex and doing drugs when they aren't getting drunk. 2) Giving that demographic a fun, uncomplicated story with the message that you have to be yourself, accompanied by decent tunes and fab choreography is not a bad thing. Hell, I know a grownup or two who could use the occasional reminder that following your bliss and using your gifts is a good idea. 3) Sometimes, just sometimes, Mr. or Ms. Snarky McSnarkerson, it's OK to just have some good, clean fun. And based upon the response to the first movie (one of the nieces who can't wait to watch tonight is 21 for frak's sake) good, clean fun can even be cool. Dig.

'K, so it premiers at 8pm (that would be PDT) so if you need a laugh around then, you can come back here for the live blog. Or just read it all tomorrow. Or, you know, skip it all together.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

The last comment I posted, I meant to post here but I did it on the last one. when I saw that I didn't, I had to come back anyway so that I could be first. WHEEEE!

August 17, 2007 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I haven't seen the first one, and probably won't watch the second either, but I will read your live blog and get the skinny anyway. Paper chains are the shiznit by the way. The Child has it going on.

August 17, 2007 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'd leave a comment but I need to hurry and follow my bliss and start using my gifts.

August 17, 2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

The Theatuh, the Theatuh, what happened to the theatuh.
Now its all choreography

August 17, 2007 11:35 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I am so blissfully ignorant of all things HSM-related. But I do hope you all enjoy the superfantastic party!

August 17, 2007 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I disagree. The quality or messages of either of these movies has nothing to do with their popularity amongst the tweens.

It's because the boys are dreamy.

Do you really think Marcia Brady thought Davy Jones was a good musician?

August 17, 2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Congratulations on being the first to comment today, Monica. You will receive your certificate in the mail.

Tater: really, isn't knowledge of all things pop cultural just reading about it? So you can nod meaningfully during dinner parties? I'll have to take a picture of the paper chain; it's quite impressive.

Yes, Hat, you most certainly do.

Ain't it the truth, Pookie?

Oh, SCG, be all smug about that if you will. One day soon you'll be awash in whatever is "all the rage". Tee.

JP: that's a horribly cynical attitude. When Davy sang "Cheer up, Sleepy Jean"...oh, the talent, the sheer joyful swooniness of it all.

August 17, 2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You know what? I actually really do like that song. I'll shut up.

August 17, 2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Can't . . . watch . . . irony content . . . insufficient to . . . sustain life.

August 17, 2007 3:56 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Not familiar with these movies....but then I am 62. I am looking forward to the Jane/Ann movie however....closer to my generation.

August 17, 2007 4:25 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

WHEEE!...ratz..It just sounds so much better coming from monica.
I'll check out the live blog,but only because that's what all the really cool kids are doing.

August 17, 2007 4:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP: See? Groovy.

Lex: Bite. Me.

Rosie, I wanna see that, too. See? Multifaceted.

Sling; Bring beer.

August 17, 2007 5:46 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

no cable, no hsmII
oh well
uno!!!

August 17, 2007 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home