Monday, July 09, 2007

There's No Place Like Home; Unless, Of Course, It's Your Home Away from Home



It is lovely to be home, to our silly little dog and our miffed cat (she only just came in this morning, because The Dog's sister was here until yesterday). It's good to see tomatoes finally on the vine and all the overgrown mint and chamomile and grape vines that are threatening to start their own country. It's good to be able to go have wine with The Neighbor and sleep in our own beds. It was good to go to church yesterday and be surrounded by our familiar community.

But.

And it's a big "but".

Last week in Chicago reminded me of something. I'm a city girl. More specifically, a downtown city girl.

Oh, sure, it's great that we have a little house within the city limits and that, if the traffic lights are cooperating, we're no more than 10-12 minutes from the downtown core. I am not complaining. I am grateful.

But I like downtown city living. I like the views and the architecture and the noise. I like the people on the streets and being able to walk out the door and be in a restaurant or shop or what-have-you within a couple of blocks. I like the throb and hum of urban places.

Every time I've ever been in a big city, I've felt the same way...at home. New York, London, Vancouver, BC, even Dallas (although I cannot see myself ever living in Dallas), San Francisco. And now, Chicago.

I don't know that I've expressed this strongly enough. I. Loved. Chicago. Loved. It. That whole condo in Chicago thing? All that stands between us and its realization is a bucket of money. Seriously.

And there's no question that some of what I'm feeling right now...a little yearning tinged with a little homesickness, has to do with the fact that we now have good friends in Chicago. Wonderful people who I miss already. Which is silly since I can visit on the front porch of their blogs any time I want. But still. I ♥ those Chicago bloggers.

It should be noted, however, that if we ever were to actually live in Chicago I would have to have a personal trainer. I came home with 6 pounds that I didn't leave with. And sure, a few salads and some vigorous walks with The Dog and it'll all be gone again. But here's the thing: what do I do about this insatiable craving for deep dish pizza?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Red Seven opined...

I deal with the same thing whenever I visit a place I enjoy, even moderately. It's the I-want-o-live-here-why-don't-I-live-here? syndrome. That's its official name, by the way.

I'm testing this theory in September by visiting Millinocket, Maine. We'll see what happens.

July 09, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

You've made me appreciate where I live all the more. Thanks!

I think I'm going to feel that way about Seattle very soon.

July 09, 2007 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Just visiting a swell place gives me all the incentive I need to pack my bags and head on out. And all those years when I should have been going to college and getting married and having babies and a career blah blah blah, have been spent in cars and u-hauls and flying houses with ruby slippers stuck to the bottom of them, on this insatiable quest to find 'home'.

July 09, 2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

Hearing about other people loving my city makes me appreciate it more and stop being so pissed about having to move back here. I'm glad you had a good time. btw, I used to get the "I-want-o-live-here-why-don't-I-live-here" syndrome in arizona and colorado.

July 09, 2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

You guys are missed by all.

And yeah, I love this city. After all these years, I'm still addicted to it.

July 09, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hmmmm. Somehow I don't imagine Millinocket calling your name, but I could be wrong. I have been once or twice before.

J: I hope you will like Seattle as much as I liked Chicago. Just because that would only be fair.

"Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home"...boy, that sure could have all sorts of other implications, now couldn't it, Hat?

I can't imagine being pissed at having to be in Chicago, Monica. But then the first blush of a new romance is upon me, so grain of salt and all that. And yet, it is a fine city.

Aw, it's nice to be missed, Iwanski. And that's a healthy sort of addiction, if you ask me.

July 09, 2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I just love to travel for travel's sake,but when you can meet old/new friends,its even better.
Still,at the end of it all,it's always good to be home.

July 09, 2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

True, Sling, too true. Home is very nice. I just suddenly want to have 2 homes. Or maybe just some applesauce cake.

July 09, 2007 9:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I know exactly how you feel, Lorraine. I get that same feeling when I visit a city. I love where I live. It's beautiful and all that, and for day-to-day living, it's what so many people wish for, but I do miss the hustle and bustle of a city, the accessibility, the feeling of being ALIVE, that you get when you're in cities like San Francisco, London, Edinburgh, Vancouver, and Seattle. I've never been to NYC, and only skirted Chicago, but I know I'd feel exactly the same way in those cities.

July 10, 2007 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home