Saturday, December 23, 2006

Say What You Will

Because there is plenty to be said about big stars lending their names to big charity projects to raise money for the less fortunate and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes people are accused of posturing and doing these good deeds because their publicist is concerned that they've been photographed too many times without their underwear or something.

But I always figured that if people can rally other people around a cause because of their name, if they can raise awareness, that in itself is a good thing. So there.

Also, if you listen closely to the lyrics of this song they really leave something to be desired. I mean, I think I know what the writers were going for, that juxtiposition between the haves and have nots. I'm not sure that it always succeeds lyrically. But there is something that continues to get me about this song and besides that, you couldn't get more 80s stars into one video if you tried so that's reason enough to play it. And I'll probably listen to it at least 3 more times myself before the day is over.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

There woulda been helltapay if you hadn't played this.

Great song, but I know what you mean about the lyrics. "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you." Isn't there another way they could've phrased that?

December 23, 2006 10:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hey, I know my audience.

And that line in particular has always bugged me. Except for the part where Bono sings it. I just heart him to pieces and I don't care what anyone says.

December 23, 2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Man oh man John Taylor looked good in that one. Hey, what ever happened to Paul Young? Hmmm.

December 23, 2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger barista brat opined...

i'm with evangaline on the john taylor thing. and i'm with lorraine and jp on that particular line.

still love the song and video, though - i even read sir bob geldof's autobiography just for a "behind the scenes" take on the whole band-aid thing.

December 23, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Eva, I'll tell you, those 80s boys were hot hot hot.

Brat, Nice of you to drop by! I also heart Sir Bob. In case anyone is keeping track.

December 23, 2006 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home