Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Vendage

This morning, while it was still cool and the birds were unaware of my plans, I took shears to "the vineyard" to harvest grapes. I knew we had a good crop and I was looking forward to getting 5 pounds for a batch of jelly. I think I got about 20 pounds. (Which Blogger doesn't want me to show you at the moment).

I am a capricious and inattentive gardener so when I have a bounty like this, I can't take any credit. I just have to sing a little hymn like "For the Beauty of the Earth" and be grateful. And a little amazed.

The plan for today is to make grape jelly until I fall over or run out of canning jars, whichever comes first. I'll get started in a bit. Unfortunately, I snipped myself with the shears and am currently bleeding like a Romanoff. So I have time for coffee and blog reading. It's all good.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm picturing you stomping barefoot in a tub full of grapes ala Lucy Ricardo. It's a fun visual.

September 06, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

So maybe it's a good thing Blogger is being a booger.

September 06, 2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Make some of that winemaker's cake in Patricia Wells Provence cookbook that I'm certain you have...so good with coffee.

September 06, 2006 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yum, I'm on my way over to help with the jam-makings.

Take care of the flesh wound.

~BALT

September 06, 2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie, Just stuff it in a sheep's intestine and you've got haggis. Sorta.

Nicole, That's exactly what I plan to do with the remnants after the jellying is accomplished!

BALT, Oh goodie...it's starting to look like a big job!

September 06, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh, how fun! Well, the harvesting part, not so much the jelly-making part for me. I'm not much of a canner type person. Have no clue where The Daughter got that gene from. She's always in the middle of canning something or other. But then, she's a stay-at-home mom, so she has time for it when the kiddlings are in school. It's just way too much work to be fun for me. But harvesting... hot diggity! :)

September 06, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Sounds like you got some work ahead of ya...

September 06, 2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, I think making jelly is not unlike childbirth. I have a whole year to forget what a pain in the butt it is!

September 06, 2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, You have no idea. Well, maybe you do...

September 06, 2006 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home