Monday, September 04, 2006

To Katie or Not to Katie

That is the question. Tomorrow night Katie Couric debuts as the anchor for the CBS Nightly News. I'm trying to figure out how much I care.

I don't watch network news anymore. I grew up with Cronkite and Huntley & Brinkley ("Goodnight, Chet". "Goodnight, David"). Those were the days. You didn't have to be pretty, you didn't have to be a "journalist". You just read the news. No spin, no promotions from the Entertainment side of the network masquerading as "news stories". And maybe there was some political bias on the part of the reporters but it wasn't like they used the "news" as one big oped forum for either the left or the right. It was just the news, m'am. And I liked it that way.

The last time I watched network news was on 9/11 and that's only because NBC happened to be the channel the television had been left on. We only watched for a short time. As soon as Tom Brokaw came in to take the coverage away from Matt and Katie we turned over to CNN and there we stayed. The last time I watched local news was February of 2001, when we had a 6.5 earthquake. Otherwise I can't be bothered.

So tomorrow night is Katie's big night and I'm a little curious because, well, she's Katie and I don't mind her. I actually have a little respect for her. Not a ton, mind, but a little. And I suppose it is something of an event and you know how I like to be in on all things pop cultural.

The truth is, I'll probably forget all about it. 5:30pm? Who's watching television at 5:30pm? And if I miss it, will I care? Are you gonna watch?

6 Comments:

Blogger Renee opined...

If we watch news here it is usually Jim Lehrer since we don't get cable, but tomorrow night, I think I'll tune in to CBS for at least a second or two. I want to see what Katie is wearing.

September 04, 2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Excellent point, Renee.

September 04, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Katie who? :P

September 05, 2006 3:26 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

The Katie factor doesn't matter much to me, either, since I already can't stand US major network news (or cable news, for that matter). Too glib, not enough analysis, too many people yelling. Give me Jim Lehrer, NPR, or give me death.

September 05, 2006 7:11 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I have my Tivo set for Katie tonight.... after that, who knows!

September 05, 2006 7:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm beginning to sense a trend here...anyone who plans to watch is doing it to see Katie's hair & wardrobe, NOT because they are looking for actual news reporting. Poor Katie.

September 05, 2006 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home