Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Best Friends Since First Grade


She was a gift.

Halfway through 1st grade she joined the class. Already guaranteed popularity by virtue of the fact that the class was desperately short of girls, all the little misses reached out to her.

There was a potential glitch. The other girls, as I think I've mentioned in previous posts, were brats. Excluding The Child was one of their favorite games. Maneuvers to annex the new girl were in full swing. But it didn't work. She took a shine to The Child. And when she was told (yes, this really happened because BF told it to me) that she shouldn't have a playdate with The Child because "she's weird and you won't like her" she ignored them. With a little trepidation mind you, but ignored them. "And," she told me, "she was so funny and imaginative and nice and I had so much fun with her and I thought, 'What are those girls talking about?'"

So despite the plotting of evil little wenches, New Girl became Best Friend. Nearly every day for 2 and a half years either she was at our house or The Child was at hers. Weekend sleepovers were practically guaranteed. Best Friend preferred to come here because she was living with 3 brothers and a little sister and she liked the "peace and quiet". She became my other child. I loved her, not just because she had befriended my child when she most needed it but because she was a fun, sweet, helpful, darling kid. She fit into our crazy family and it almost seemed wrong of a Friday night to have our pizza and a movie if Best Friend wasn't there.

The two of them were quite a pair. Best Friend was tall and always looked at least a year older than she was, though she's only 3 months older than The Child. She has long, thick, dark hair and big brown eyes and a round face. The Child by contrast is blond and blue-eyed and thin as a rail. She was also a good foot shorter than Best Friend, a gap that has been made up in the last year so that they are almost the same height and I expect The Child will end up being the taller of the two. Best Friend has a gravity to her, as the oldest girl in the family, that The Child doesn't possess. But Best Friend brings it out in her and The Child, of course, pulls out all Best Friend's silliness and imagination.

From the time they were 6 they could practically read each other's minds. They flow in and out of play and projects and dancing as if they are one person. Seriously, I can only ever remember 1 fight between the two of the them. They might snark at each other from time to time but they have always, from the beginning, been able to work things out without convening a summit.

After 3rd grade, Best Friend's family moved to the other side, just barely, of the mountains. This was the saddest, most devestating thing that could ever have happened to The Child. She mourned for weeks. It broke my heart, too. (And frankly, that's when I should have moved her to a new school but I didn't, hanging in there for one more year. Bad mommy). But here's the thing: those girls really were true friends. And true friendship, even if you find it when you are little tiny, is not something easily threatened by distance. They stayed in touch, calling each other regularly. There were visits back and forth, sometimes for a day because the family happened to be in town, sometimes for a week of visiting each other during the summer. They both have made new friends but the bond holds. And I think it is an amazing thing, really. I have friends who I only see but once a year, if that, and when we are together it is as if no time passed. But that is because our friendships are based on shared values and interests as well as history. But children, so often, base their friendships on shared experiences as much as anything. Which would argue that The Child and Best Friend would grow apart over time. But it hasn't happened yet.

They are only 12. A lot can and will happen in the next 6 years, in the next 26 years. Childhood best friends don't always stay best friends, especially when they aren't living in the same town. But Best Friend has been a beautiful gift to The Child and to our family. No matter what the future holds we all have the fondest memories. I'm just glad that for now the girls are still making more of them.

15 Comments:

Blogger Lex Lata opined...

A. Dor. A. Ble.

August 30, 2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger Hina opined...

Wow, (good) best friends are God sent!! It's like having another kid... without having to do the dirty work.

I'm so happy that your child has that in her life.

If you don't mind me asking, you've mentioned that she had some "trouble" at school. What's that about? You don't have to share if you don't want :)

August 30, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

LA, Pretty much.

Hina: She was pretty effectively bullied in her first school...name calling, exclusion, stuff like that. I did everything I could to get the administration to address the problem and when it was finally clear that they weren't going to boot the culprits, we left. I should have done it sooner, like I said, but I kept hoping that they meant what they said. She is much, much happier in her new school and all that horrible stuff is in the past. I suppose you could say it made her stronger and it did in some ways but I still hate that she had to go through it. (Stupid kids. Whenever I think about it I still want to punch someone!)

August 30, 2006 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I want to find those other kids and make them cry. It shouldn't take much.

And I'm not even going to go into that dream you had last night.

August 30, 2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Long time friends are precious...

August 30, 2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, I'll let you make them cry. Not that I'm holding a grudge. But you're a grown man. I can't stop you if you want to bust some kneecaps in defense of your neice.

Grish: Word.

August 30, 2006 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

No kneecap busting, just some carefully chosen words in the proper tone of voice. They'll cry.

August 30, 2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

You've got such a talent for telling a story and drawing people in.

Thanks for sharing.

August 30, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, Ok, a few well chosen words. Always good. Although if you tripped and accidentally busted a knee cap or two I'd be ok with that.

S&C, Well, thank you, sir.

August 30, 2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

jp is right..
Maybe someday,the "other kids" will need a babysitter.."It's bedtime!".."No,you're not going to bed by yourself silly,..There's a horribly disfigured axe murderer in there!" :P

August 30, 2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ooh, Uncle Sling...I'm going to see if I can set up some babysitting gigs for you! Fear is good.

August 30, 2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

I had a best friend when I was that little too. And then I moved away (but not too far, only a 30 minutes, but still, when you're a kid, that's far enough). And I'm happy to say, she comments regularly on my blog, 35 years later.

August 31, 2006 5:51 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie, Your old granny was a wise one.

Nicole, And that is a very cool thing. I could see it happening with these two. Including one if not two blogs.

August 31, 2006 8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

What a great story, Lorraine! And how fortunate these girls are to have each other. My son had similar experiences in school, and it broke my heart. But having lived through the same sort of name-calling, mean teasing, and exclusion throughout junior and senior high, and knowing how much stronger, how resilient, and how considerate of others it made me, I just helped him through it like my mom helped me. He is super considerate of others, kind, strong, resilient, and a decent young man, while the bullies are still jerks. I know that your daughter has gained insight as a result of the shabby treatment she received. Thankfully, she found a friend too.

August 31, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Middle Child opined...

Just beautiful.
Just before my mother died, aged only 65, she spoke to me about a childhood friend called Lola Miller, and how sad she was she had lost track of her. Sje spoke about how Lola had a flashing smile and the pair of themused to climb the mountains behind my mum's home... Mum met Lola a few times in her adult life and mum luckily married a good kind man (my dad) Lola married an abusive man, then next a drunk etc etc...mum lost track.

After mum died I tried to find Lola. I felt Mum would have wanted her to know what she meant tho a little girl so long ago... (1930's)

Could not find her no matter how much I tried.

Sometimes I imagine my mother a sprightly eight year old with long legs and blue eyes, nd balck hair, keeping pace with an older girl called Lola, blonde, blue eyed, flashing smile (which Mum said reminded her of our eldest daughter Melissa's smile...) I imagine them climbing over those mountains at the back of mum's home as the sun is setting in winter.... and they are always young, happy and there.

Who knows where your daughter's srong friendship will end up?

September 04, 2006 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home