Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bring it On


There is no denying it. Nature, being a lass who cares very little for human trifles like clocks and calendars, has decided that autumn will come to the Northwest sooner rather than later.

It is a clear, lovely morning. The warm sun is winking at me just over the roofline of The Neighbor's house, coyly peeking through the massive cherry tree. But a cool breeze is blowing and for the first time all summer, I have to wear a sweater while I sit out here with my coffee. It's not a cooling breeze, like the sort we prayed for in the dog days. It's the sort that is eager to start pulling leaves to the ground. The apples are beginning to blush, the grapes - well, just look at those grapes. One more warm week and I expect it will be time to make the first batch of jelly.

I wasn't ready a week ago but I am now. Whenever I sit to plan the week's menu I'm drawn to the recipes for chicken & leek pie and burgandy stew. I grow weary of inventing one more twist on grilled chicken salad. Instead of cool fruit tarts I want to make a big, hot plum cobbler. I should send The Child and Best Friend out berrying.

It rained yesterday. Not a lot and it came inbetween a day and early evening of sun but the ground is still wet. The grass, which has been dried into hay, seems relieved. It might well be ready to try turning green again.

It has been a long, lazy summer but I'm ready for a change. I'm ready for regular bedtimes, for sending The Child off to master algebra and read Shakespeare while I keep to my quiet, empty house. I'm looking forward to long blocks of uninterrupted time with books and papers. Autumn is coming and that means baking bread, seeing BBB married off, pulling out sweaters and fresh episodes of "Gilmore girls". I'm ready.

Change is good, especially the rhythmic changes of the year. Autumn is coming and she's welcome.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Congratulations! You are receiving the award for best personification of an inanimate object for the following line: "The grass, which has been dried into hay, seems relieved."

You may pick up your plaque at the office anytime after 9am on Monday.

August 31, 2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

J, Grass is a living thing and therefore Animate. The word your looking for is likely anthropromorphize which it to give human qualities to a non human.
Like a compassionate GWB.
or a Jolly Dick Cheney

August 31, 2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yippee!!! Oh, wait, now that the Grammar Dude has weighed in, do I still get the plaque?

August 31, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I wanna come over for jelly-making and a quilting bee!

August 31, 2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You can come over for jellymaking, Jon, but I'm not so much with the needle and thread. Although I could use some new potholders.

August 31, 2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

It's been getting cool here as well, I'm loving it...

August 31, 2006 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

An-thro-po-- ah, screw it.

But if it's dried up, it dead, and therefore inanimate again, and thus incapable of being relieved.

Bring it on, mister.

August 31, 2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Yet when the rains return the grass rejuvinates and becomes green, this does not happen when it rains on a dead oppossum in the road. You just get a wet dead oppossum.

August 31, 2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grammar fight! Grammar fight! Grish, get the jello shots!

August 31, 2006 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Eric wins by bring a dead oppossum into it. Curses!

I will return. I don't know when, I don't know where. But I will return.

August 31, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's okay, Poodle. No one ever expects a wet, dead opposum. Um, do I still get my plaque?

August 31, 2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger jLow opined...

I've been down here in Texas trying to survive this dry heatwave when I read your musing of the imminent autumn season (which is my favorite of all seasons).

And just this week I was telling someone that I think I might be a Seattle girl at heart.

P.S. to Grammar Dude - it's YOU'RE as in "you are looking," not YOUR. ;o)

August 31, 2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jLow, Suffering through a Texas summer will make just about anybody into a Seattle girl! You have my sympathies. (And good snag on Grammar Dude...he gets very uppity but he never does a spell check. Methinks those who live in glass houses...)

August 31, 2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

~(stands in the middle of the room, with a puzzled look and an arm full of jello shots)~

August 31, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, geez, Grish, how long have you been standing there?? Put them down, man. Have some guac and chips.

August 31, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Quac and chips!!!

August 31, 2006 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home