Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's Almost Time for the Macy's Day Parade! (And if you say it like that for real I will mock you mercilessly).

My Facebook account is "temporarily unavailable". I know what that means....more frakking changes to the site that I am not going to like. Stoopid Facebook and their constantly-changing-stuff-all-the-time-when-I-liked-it-just-fine-the-way-it-was.

So I'll blog.

The Spouse is making dinner (Alsatian Choucroute...which is about the farthest thing from turkey that there is). The Child is "cleaning her room".

Tomorrow we will dine at The House with MAB and the families. Both The Spouse and I have to work on Friday so we don't have time to go be with all the fam (much to the chagrin of everyone but there it is). But we had fun at The House last year so we're going again. Plus the food is going to be spectacular and hello? I don't have to cook any of it. Gotta love that.

The Spouse just waved a smoked pork chop under my nose. I am not a fan, generally speaking, of the chop. I'll deign to eat it, mostly because The Spouse loves a good chop. But let me tell you, the smoked pork chops from Bavarian Meats are pink and meaty little slices of heaven. Heaven, I tell you.

On Friday I shall wear jeans to work and spend the day hiding in the office while MAB decorates for Christmas. She brings to that process a rabidity that is rivaled only by the likes of Martha Stewart. In fact, when it comes to Christmas decorating, MAB makes Martha Stewart look like a hack.

And speaking of Martha Stewart, my sister Martha Stewart mailed us a shoe box stuffed to the gills with her home-made holiday candies. There's English toffee (for The Spouse), and peppermint meringues and fudge and peppermint bark and she even remembered the cinnamon crystal cut candies that are my personal favorite. Isn't she the best?

I shall leave you with a little Thanksgiving question: what is your very favorite must-have food for Thanksgiving?

I'll start.

For many years I'm quite sure my answer to that question would have either been dressing (not stuffing....I don't like the stuff from inside the bird) or cranberry sauce. But one year a friend and I were invited to a couple's home for Thanksgiving dinner. These women were famous in our circle for their foodiness and wine connoisseurship so we were pretty jazzed about the invitation. When we came to table the food looked and smelled fantastic. We had grace and a toast and I brightly said, "Pass the gravy, please". "Oh," said my hostess, "we didn't make gravy. We didn't think it was necessary. I mean, who eats gravy?"

Oh. My. Yord. Who eats gravy? WHO EATS GRAVY?????

That was the year I learned that my favorite food on the Thanksgiving table is gravy, the luscious stream of goodness that unites all the other goodness on the plate, bringing out their essential and truest natures and lovingly encouraging them to sing. I am always and forever thankful for gravy.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

My absolute,must have,sneak them from the plate as fast as mom and grandma can make them,all time favorite Thanksgiving traditional food thing is devilled eggs.
Is Alsatian Choucroute made from real Alsations?..I only ask because my Grandfather came from the Alsace-Lorraine area...HEY!

November 25, 2009 7:40 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Best wishes to you and all the other thankful little pixies.

And as for gravy... the whole point of solid foods is so you can make sauces to go with them!!!

Creamy chardonnay gravy is one of our Christma turkey staples. Come over: I'll save you some.

November 26, 2009 5:02 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Happy Thanksgiving!
i am thankful for this blogland full of friends I have yet to meet.
We are talking about a trip to Seattle next summer. Maybe we will meet one day.
It's the dressing that makes it a Thanksgiving meal.

November 26, 2009 5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

It cracked me up that you put "cleaning her room" in air quotes.

I like cheesy potatoes. And I do like gravy, but not cranberry sauce, mostly because it is not really a sauce.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

November 26, 2009 7:08 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Darling Sling, for whom I am thankful, a) devilled eggs are da bomb diggity and 2) yes. They are getting very expensive to import but shredded up fine and sauteed with some brautwurst....talk about good. I once ate vintage Alsatian...wonder if it Pop Pop?

DA, for whom I am thankful, I'm glad you share my passion for sauces. Please save some of that gravy...sounds divine!

Mom, for whom I am thankful, you absolutely must look me up this summer. Y'all can stay here if'n you like but by all means let's make this happen.

JP, for whom I am thankful, well, when she says that's what she's doing but there is no appreciable change in the condition of the room air quotes are a given. Remind me to make a cheesy potato thing for your birthday. I have a recipe that will make you swoon.

November 26, 2009 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home