Saturday, November 21, 2009

Feastin'

The Autumnal Feast is tonight. It usually takes place in October but with The Child's play and such we had to move it back.

One of the many areas of life that have been neglected since going to work is entertaining. We hardly ever do it anymore, and it used to be we'd have at least one dinner party a month, even if it was just pizza with another family. But it takes time to plan menus and issue invitations and iron napkins and hello?

But in my new found attempt to not suck at everything but work I spent some time thinking about this meal and planning. It might not be quite as elaborate as previous feasts but this is not about impressing the crap out of people. It's about gathering the usual suspects to celebrate the harvest and the change of seasons and 20 years of friendship. So the menu will be simple but it will be, I suspect, delicious.

The Boys always bring the first course, so that will be a surprise. For soup we're having pumpkin chili soup with pepitos and Parmesan crisps (nearly done). Salad will be butter lettuce, radicchio, bleu cheese and cranberries in a shallot vinaigrette (also nearly done). The entree is roast goose (The Spouse is in charge of that). Sides will be a fun little roasted potato thingy (Nigella), Brussels sprouts with bacon (the only recipe that lures me to actually eat Brussels sprouts) and a mixed grain pilaf (Trader Joe's - come on now, mama is not above letting someone else do the work if it's tasty). Dessert is, as always, apple Charlotte and The Child really wants to make it so I'll let her (with some supervision....caramel is involved).

Plus, I got my hair did today and it's awesome. I love my stylist. She's the best little hair cutter in all the land. Maybe there will be a nice picture tonight...I was thinking that my profile pic is getting pretty old.

Must toddle off to the co-op. Have a tasty day.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

Tradition,pomp and circumstance,..whatever those things that make us feel grounded,and connected are a good thing!
I think you are feeling pretty good right now. :)

November 21, 2009 5:48 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I have such fond memories of that shallot vinaigrette. Give The Boys my best.

I'll be anxious to know how the caramel worked out. Tricky stuff. . .

November 22, 2009 5:36 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Very good, Sling. Feelin' connected to all the things that matter to me.

I used that again, Buck. 'Cuz it's da bomb. And we raised a glass to you last night and it was very cute.

The caramel turned out...that copper pan we bought last year totally did the trick. Plus I was very patient with the second addition of sugar to the apple-sugar-brandy thing and it came out beautifully.

November 22, 2009 9:25 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Whenever asked if I like Brussels sprouts, I always say, um, yes, as long as they're served with bacon and a cognac cream sauce. Which basically means no, but I'll eat them if excellent stuff is smothering them.

November 22, 2009 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home