Monday, November 02, 2009

Dio de los muertos

It makes sense that the ancients would experience these dark and eerie early days of November as a time full of spirits. The veil, they believed, between this world and the next became very thin, making it easier for the deceased to visit what they had known.

I know some people think it's all a little creepy but I love these days of remembrance, as they've come to be called.

On Saturday I prepared our Dio de los muertos altar, adding candles for Mr. Stewart and Lala and Joanie, the ones we've lost this year. I lit the candles and arranged the sugar skulls, fluffed the vase of flowers and remembered. It seems, to me, an elegant thing, taking the time to consciously remember, to be thankful for the gift of their lives in mine, to not so much miss them as celebrate them.

It's a beautiful ritual.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

I've never heard of this.

Where do you get sugar skulls?

Oh wait, I'm on a diet.

November 02, 2009 7:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I make 'em myself...got molds and directions off the interwebs years ago. Used to do it for The Child's classes when she was young.

And the diet thing is ok because you don't eat 'em. After applying all the glitter and paint and stuff they aren't that appetizing. Pretty, though.

November 02, 2009 6:15 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I think that's a very beautiful ritual...nice one, Rainey. :)

November 02, 2009 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Lots of sugar skulls and flowers are a part of the celebration as are cut paper decorations. Did a serious one for Concord International Elementary School planed and designed by Rollin Thomas Design. Had some really cool graves with markers and even a 4 foot diameter styrofoam skull.

Of course I was told to take it down today and while I was some teachers walked by and siad "Hey we haven't taken our kids through yet." So I stopped. Communication, always a good idea.

Peace

:+}

November 02, 2009 10:13 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

A fitting way to celebrate - and celebrate we should - your loved ones!

November 03, 2009 1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home