Thursday, October 29, 2009

Om

Every Wednesday a group of yoga folks come to the house for an hour of instruction. It seemed like a nice thing to do for our families; they are all under stress and we all know that remembering to breathe, really breathe, is something people forget to do when they're stressed. So the yoga folks come and do their breathe-y thing and it's great.

I've always wanted to do it but I never seem able to pull myself away from my desk. Or else I have to take off to get The Child from rehearsal or some other thing. But last night she was rehearsing until 6:30 so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to give it a whirl.

I've always been a pretty flexible person. One of my personal Stupid People Tricks is that I can put my leg behind my head. (It's not extremely useful in most situations but it makes for good entertainment at parties). And being able to stretch all the way out made me feel very smug when we did our first Downward Dog. Plus it felt awesome. Then we did some other poses and I began to discover unpleasant places in my back. There were a few muscles that started screaming. It sounded sort of like, "Hey! You there, in the Warrior Pose. You wanna knock that off? We're sleepin' here". I ignored them and posed and breathed and then when we laid down for our final visualization I thought that dying was as good an option as anything else.

But I didn't. Victoria pulled my legs and rubbed my back and the angry muscles grumbled off to get a scotch. They weren't necessarily happy about being awake but at least they weren't yelling at me anymore.

During the visualization Molly was saying all the yoga instructor stuff about "Picture yourself in a place that you love...somewhere calm and beautiful....it might be an ocean or a mountain peak..." etc etc etc. I tried to go to the ocean, which I do love. But the place that kept popping into my head was the Balcony of Terror, 50 stories above the Chicago River. Not a very typical yoga place, but one that is, to me, one of the most beautiful views in all the world. And a place with exceedingly good associations. So I sat on the balcony, watching the sunlight dappled the water, turning the sounds of washing machines and folks making dinner into street noise and it was pretty awesome.

The good news is that, despite some earlier fears, I'm not walking dead this morning. Actually, I feel pretty fantastic. This yoga thing might be just the ticket.

Now I have to go see if The Cat is done killing a mouse in The Child's room. Gross.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Oh, I love to go to yoga. I do power yoga on Wednesdays and a regular class on Fridays. I wish I could get a class in on Mondays too. Feels good to get the ol' body moving. And the power yoga class is work, baby, lemme tell you!

neither of my instructors do the "picture yourself in a happy place" thing though, which is fine with me. That way I get it more as exercise than meditation.

October 29, 2009 7:46 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I love the yoga, I wish I had more time to do it..but I sleep so well when I do it.

October 29, 2009 8:14 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

You are so sweet.
Seeing you out on the B of T is one of my fondest memories too.

Next time I'm in Seattle, I need to remember to have both of us put our legs behind our heads for your guests.

I forgot to do that last time. I hate it when that happens. . . .

October 29, 2009 11:51 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I have some yoga Cd's that I bought a while back...still in the sealed box...maybe I'll take them out this winter. Mice are looking for a warm place to nest this winter....they are running all over the forest floor today....because it is snowing.

October 29, 2009 12:23 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Nice to see that you're taking the breathing thing seriously.
It's a fundamental practice in martial arts.
Did you know that a person will be more receptive to your point of view,if you syncronize your breathing with theirs?
..Works on animals too.
Have fun! :)

October 29, 2009 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Hhhmmmm. A question has arisen. Which came first Yoga or Tai - Chi?

They are closely related and Tai - Chi classes routinely throw in a littel yoga.

Peace

:+}

October 30, 2009 2:01 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Aw, I'm glad that your "beautiful place" is in Chi-town. *smiles* And I'm glad you like yoga--I LOVES me the yoga!! :) I've been taking a class twice a week. I am getting stronger and feeling good! :) Keep it up, Rainey! :)

November 01, 2009 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Water Filtration Athens opined...

Hi thanks for sharing this

October 20, 2022 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home