Wednesday, October 14, 2009

President Obama is Taylor Swift and Everyone Else is Kanye West

'Cept me. And Iwanski. And, ok, a few other people. We're all more like Beyonce. But I digress.

I was still semi-sleeping when I heard the announcement that President Obama had won the Nobel Peace Prize. I sat up and asked, "Did I hear that right?" And when The Spouse confirmed it I lay back down and felt the smile on my face light up every bit of my being. My President had just won the Peace Prize. Holy cow! It's been a long, long time since I'd felt really proud of my President. Longer, even, than 8 years because as much as I liked Clinton, he did some things which were decidedly not proud making.

The glow didn't last. The haters saw to that. And so did a lot of people who claim to support this president. So what gives?

Let's start with the haters. They were all "A Peace Prize? What has he done? He hasn't done anything!" This is amusing, coming from a bunch of people who have spent the last 9 months complaining about what Obama has done. He has closed overseas detention centers and slated GitMo for closure, declared that America can get the intelligence it needs without torture,
embraced diplomacy - even with nations like Iran and issued a challenge on the world stage for all of us to get rid of our nukes. And that's just off the top of my head.

Every time he did something like that the haters screamed about how he was weak, how he was going to let America be pushed around, how it was stupid to try and engage our enemies, etc. etc. And while the haters certainly didn't like any of that, many of us who voted for him did. And more than that, it got the attention of the world. (The haters will tell you it doesn't matter what the world thinks. I would remind you that it is a big playground out there and America doesn't own all the toys. And also, personally, after 8 years of the world hating us, it's kinda nice to see that beginning to change).

President Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize for speaking out about the need for changes in the way America, and the world, do things. Has he managed to bring that vision to fruition? No. Kinda like Martin Luther "I Have a Dream" King (who won his Nobel 35 years ago today) never lived to see a black man elected president. (And let's face it, even with that monumental achievement I think we can all agree that Martin's dream is yet to be fulfilled). Kinda like Desmond Tutu had to wait 10 years after receiving his Nobel, before his vision of a South Africa without apartheid began to become a reality. Kinda like even with a Nobel Peace Prize, Aung San Suu Kyi is still sitting under house arrest in a Burma that isn't anywhere close to the democracy she has dreamed of, spoken about and worked for.


The world has always needed people who envisions a more peaceful world and who by the power of their words, as well as their actions, engage others to come along for the ride. And yeah, world peace is a lofty goal. One that hasn't been reached and likely never will be reached. But reach for it we must. I for one am very proud that the President of the United States envisions that world and was recognized for it.

***************************************************

Tomorrow we will discuss the ethical dilemma that haters on Facebook have raised for our Rainey. But right now I have to make The Child some oatmeal.


Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger happileah opined...

Who's P!NK,then?!

Seriously though: Every action begins with a thought.
It's true!

Yay President Obama and Yay us for living in a country w/a Peaceful President, it feels good :)

October 14, 2009 8:17 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

You know though, I watched the Nobel guys announce Obama winning it. He never said it was for his accomplishments. He said it was for his extraordinary efforts in the category.

Which I find perfectly acceptable.

But in all un-fairness. If he had personally found a cure for cancer the other night, the same people would be griping because he had to breathe our air while doing it.

On a funny note though. Was I the only one that had a near uncontrollable urge to re-watch Superman: The Quest for Peace recently..=P

I almost Photoshoped a cape on Obamamama but never found the time..hehe

October 14, 2009 12:39 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I feel very proud to a citizen of this country whose president is seeking peace.

October 14, 2009 1:42 PM  
Blogger Barb opined...

Unfortunately there will always be nay-sayers. I personally am behind our president all the way... He'd probably get a whole lot more done if he didn't have to fight so hard to do it.

October 14, 2009 2:46 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

(claps little hands and throws Leah a peace sign)

Grish, no kidding...that's it exactly. He could pull Glenn Beck from a burning building and the haters would still be hating on him.

(claps little hands and throws Mom a peace sign)

Barb, right? I don't know if any President has ever had to work so hard...not to mention the fact that the whole thing was such a shambles when he got to Washington. I think he gets snaps just for getting out of bed every morning and going to the Oval Office!

October 14, 2009 5:38 PM  
Anonymous cheap opined...

I am also happy the peace prize on the right handed..

October 14, 2009 10:03 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Worse than being stupid,which most folks have no control over,the naysayers have chosen to be ignorant,and actively try to infect every one around them.
The United States made a damm fine showing in several categories of the Nobel prize,and I couldn't be more proud of every one of them.

October 15, 2009 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

These are curious times. Prez winz Peaz, is cut down for it. Like he put his name in the Goblet of Fire to begin with!

Sheesh.

October 15, 2009 11:40 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I actually sent the President an email about my Medicare escapade AND several solutions....the White House site says he just might answer....well, he might.

October 15, 2009 3:36 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

This was very well-written, Rainey--and you made some excellent points. I couldn't agree more.

I wanted to share with you a comment by one of my liberal Facebook friends about Obama:

"To all of my liberal friends out there, here is a fun game courtesy of Alan Grayson (D-FL). All you need to do is fill in the blanks. "If Barack Obama somehow _____, the Republicans would complain that ______." (ie. If Barack Obama some...how cured cancer, the Republicans would complain that he was putting oncologists out of business.)

Ain't it the truth? :)

October 15, 2009 7:04 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

We lurve Amurrica.

October 16, 2009 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home