Thursday, November 05, 2009

A Close One

Last night I thought my computer died. Little accident involving a glass of wine. Granted, the vast majority of the wine in question went on the floor but there was enough of it on the keyboard of the laptop that it started to make some very unpleasant and this-can't-be-good sorts of noises. So I turned it off. And was sad.

Then I was a little happy because I remembered that I have my own money now and if I need to I could replace my laptop without impacting the family budget.

Then I was a little sad because I realized any computer I got would probably come loaded with Vista. I hate Vista.

Then I was a little happy because I realized the way around that was to get a Mac. Then I was a little conflicted about that because I don't really like using Macs, finding them to be no where near as "intuitive" as everyone claims (or perhaps it's just that I've only ever been a PC kinda gal so the learning curve doesn't seem worth it).

Then I went to bed.

This morning I turned on my computer, without thinking...force of habit and all that but the dark screen, despite the appropriate blinking of green lights, reminded me. So I got some coffee and went off to sort through some stuff in the other room and when I came back what should I see but my login screen?

So my computer isn't dead and I don't have to buy a new one, Mac or otherwise.

Sometimes it's the little things.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

Laptops Rock!..I've spilled half a bottle of beer on mine,and the screen went blank.
Turn it upside down on a towel to drain,and then dry it with a blow dryer..
Mine slowly came back to life over the course of a day.
I passed that on to Darling Daughter(what is it with chicks,and wine?)and she was up and running after about an hour.
BTW..New lappers should come with Windows 7..I'm thinkin' about buyin' the upgrade..It's $149.00 at Wally World.

November 05, 2009 12:33 PM  
Blogger Cliff O'Neill opined...

Darlin', if you ever need a hand with making the switch, hit me up.

After years of helping folks through this, it's not the first time I've heard the "not as intuitive as people say" thing. Short answer: That's a short-term feeling. It goes away when you let go of the complicated learning from the PCs where you have to go here and there and then there to do a certain thing.

Don't approach it as someone who's used a PC for years. Approach it as someone who's never touched a computer before, I tell people.

So you can file that one away in your brain for future reference, should it ever come up again.

Hugs,

Cliff

November 05, 2009 1:15 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

yay! i'm glad you're fixed, or un-dead.

good job posting everyday so far :)

November 05, 2009 1:29 PM  
Blogger Al In The County opined...

Hooray for your zombie computer coming back to life!

Its like the commercial with the guy trying to get his car to start by turning the key and rubbing the dashboard. Then when it actually starts, the look is priceless. Then he feels really good about himself, and sings.

Its just like that.

November 05, 2009 1:39 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Goody. Mine seems to be coughing a lot lately for no good reason. I blame Vista, which DID come on my laptop and I'm convinced it's demonic.

November 05, 2009 2:29 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oh, so it was caused by wine? Well, then surely that makes it a vampire computer, right?

Count Vista, of Transattle.

November 06, 2009 3:29 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

It sure is the little things...and I guess Iwanski is actually smart (grrrr...) when he warns me over and over again not to spill anything on the laptop. :)

November 07, 2009 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home